This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-ease?

amber-rose

amber-rose Contributor

Hi! I have to have a bioposy done in December, and I have to eat a lot of gluten before it, because I've already been gluten-free for awhile. I thought I'd try Gluten-ease to help me from being miserably sick everyday.

So does anyone have any info on it? Like how much is it, does it really help, what is their web address, etc.! thank you so much!

-Amber :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eKatherine Rookie
Hi! I have to have a bioposy done in December, and I have to eat a lot of gluten before it, because I've already been gluten-free for awhile. I thought I'd try Gluten-ease to help me from being miserably sick everyday.

So does anyone have any info on it? Like how much is it, does it really help, what is their web address, etc.! thank you so much!

-Amber :D

Why is it you "have to have a biopsy"? Did the diet not help? Did you post on this previously?

I've never heard of this "gluten-ease", but I would think that anything that was making eating gluten less painful would be interfering with the purpose of the gluten challenge, which is to make you as sick as possible as quickly as possible.

Ursa Major Collaborator

Amber, unless you eat gluten for at least six months to a year, your biopsy will likely be a false negative, even if you have celiac disease. Katherine is right, gluten-ease is an enzyme that is supposed to PREVENT the damage to the intestine (if it works), and would be counterproductive to purposely damaging your villi as much as possible for the biopsy.

If a doctor would tell you that, after you started recovering from diabetes on insulin, to stop taking it and eating lots of sugar, to see how fast you can get deadly ill again, just to see if that is really it, would you do it? Or your liver enzymes are awfully high from using too much Tylenol, and you stopped using it, and your liver recovered, your doctor would tell you to take tons of Tylenol again, to see if you would have the same reaction (which could kill you, of course), would you do it? Would a doctor like that not get sued with malpractice awfully quick and lose his licence?

How do they get away with telling people to do a 'gluten challenge', trying to cause as much damage as possible, just to (maybe) get a positive biopsy? Did they not promise to 'first do no harm'?

If the gluten-free diet helped you feel better, do you really need to have the 'official' diagnosis from a doctor who thinks making you purposely ill again is ethical? Mind you, having a biopsy while still on gluten is okay, as long as they don't make you wait too long. But telling you to go back on gluten for a biopsy, after you felt better gluten-free is just plain unethical, in my opinion.

amber-rose Contributor

I dont want to do the bioposy, but my mom and doctor is making me. I feel 100% better eating gluten-free, so I know that I have celiac disease, and my aunt also has it. But my mom and the doctor are making me, so I really have no choice since i'm only 14. But the doctor told me to just eat one slice of wheat bread everyday for a week before the bioposy, so I know that the bioposy will turn out negative. Which really sucks for me. :angry:<_< I also have to be sick for Christmas, since my biopsy the day before New Years. :unsure:

-Amber

Ursa Major Collaborator

I am sorry, Amber. I didn't realize you were only 14 (the same age as my youngest daughter, Susie). I really feel for you. And of course you're right, the biopsy will undoubtedly be negative. Can't you show your mother this thread, so she understands that they are making you ill for nothing, that it will be completely useless?

Your mother and your doctor both need an education on celiac disease, as they know too little about it, apparently. And to make you sick for Christmas, too! Really, are they truly able to force you, short of holding you down and forcing gluten down your throat? Could you not try to find lots of evidence to prove to your mother that you feel great gluten-free, and that it's all the evidence needed?

Can you tell her that forcing you to make yourself ill is child abuse? Because, even though she probably means well, that's what it is in my opinion. I would never force Susie to drink milk and eat cheese, knowing it will give her stomach cramps, diarrhea and will make her throw up for a couple of days. It's the same thing.

Guest laydirain

hi

i just had the biopsy done early in september and it came back negative. i had been eating gluten free to the best of my ability for the 2-3 months prior. it came back negative. a couple days later, i "tested" (dumb idea, but mentally satisfying) with 2 bites of (good) pizza crust. My stomach got all bloated and distended and I havent been feeling right since...hopefully i'll level out soon. I was going to post and ask aout how long it takes to restore health after a slip up..but i havent gotten around to it. anyway, im not gving you any advice...just letting you know what happened to me...

amber-rose Contributor
I was going to post and ask aout how long it takes to restore health after a slip up..but i havent gotten around to it. anyway, im not gving you any advice...just letting you know what happened to me...

Hi laydirarin! I heard it actually take one full year to get back to normal! I think thats about accurate. Thanks for the info!

-Amber

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator
hi

i just had the biopsy done early in september and it came back negative. i had been eating gluten free to the best of my ability for the 2-3 months prior. it came back negative. a couple days later, i "tested" (dumb idea, but mentally satisfying) with 2 bites of (good) pizza crust. My stomach got all bloated and distended and I havent been feeling right since...hopefully i'll level out soon. I was going to post and ask aout how long it takes to restore health after a slip up..but i havent gotten around to it. anyway, im not gving you any advice...just letting you know what happened to me...

Unfortunately, after a slipup it can take two weeks or more to feel better. And since you were still recovering after only being gluten-free for less than three months, it may take longer. Anyway, the good thing is, that now you can be sure gluten is the problem, you had quite the reaction from just two bites!

• 1 year later...
Paul Jackson Rookie

-Amber :D wrote: "...So does anyone have any info on it? Like how much is it, does it really help, what is their web address, etc.! thank you so much!"

Here in Fresno, (Central) California, Gluten-Ease is sold by Sunrise Health Foods (at Shaw and Marks avenues) for $19.99 per bottle. On one hand, I'd think a bottle could come in handy in case of accidental glutening. On the other hand, as an enzyme, Gluten-Ease would have to be taken simultaneous with the gluten (specifically, gliadin)--in the same way that Lactaid is taken simultaneous with dairy products. In any event, I'd think that the dosage would be critically important, since even a tiny amount of gluten is harmful to a celiac (like myself). So, I'm left feeling ambivalent about Gluten-Ease. :huh:

FootballFanatic Contributor

Okay, coming from someone who had a false negative on my biopsy and bloodtest, if they are going to make you get the test, I would recommend the enterolab test. They have lots of information on why you don't have to be on a gluten-consuming diet for it to come back positive, so show that to your mom and your doctor.

Sure, opinions differ, but the doctor that had me do enterolab testing thought that it was the most accurate way of testing. PLUS you don't have to make yourself sick for it!

I hope it all works out for you, it says so much that you feel 100% better gluten free so why not stay that way!?

If you need more information send me a PM.

Best wishes!

Archived