Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest AutumnE

I Went To The Opthalmologist

Guest AutumnE

I found out I have ocular rosacea. He gave me drops to take for a week, I took in the prescription and the pharmacy had to order it so I should have my first dose tonight.

I have four very large floaters in my left eye. They had been blocking my vision. He is keeping an eye on them luckily my cornea is still looking intact.

He also did a pressure test on me and it looks like I have the starting of glaucoma :( I go back on October 15th to have another test done and another appt on Oct 31st. We do have a slight history of it in my family but he felt like my hypertension and the medication I am on is not the best medication for me so I need to call my family dr.

The floaters and the glaucoma problem are both in the same eye. Im not sure if they are related or not. Our car is having problems (thankfully under warranty still), I having problems with dairy and corn, I had a fire in our oven and now am in the market for a new oven. Hopefully life will slow down soon. Its never ending drama lately.

Prayers and well wishes are appreciated right now from me :) Im really nervous!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest Robbin

:( I am so sorry you are having these problems. I know what a nightmare eye problems are-I have been having a lot of them too and I sympathize. It sounds like you have a good doctor, though. My mother has had borderline glaucoma for years and regular checks keep her stable, as well as the importance of keeping blood pressure in good control. You need a nice relaxing bubble bath and lots of soothing words!!

I am sending prayers to you (and Fiddle Faddle is right--you have your three under the belt!!)

Other things that help--a good cry, a manicure/pedicure, a long walk, a hug, picking flowers, reading a good book, prayer/meditation, a nap, or my neighbor's cure-all-a margarita.

I am sending prayers and hugs to you. I agree with Robbin about the things to do, like a book, walk, etc. to de-stress. It might help keep your blood pressure down a little. I would suggest that you talk it over with hubby and children (if they are old enough), that you get one hour (or half hour) to yourself. Go in the bedroom, shut the door and read or whatever. You should probably do this every day. You might consider taking yoga classes as I hear they are very relaxing. Things will get better. And there is nothing more scary then problems with our vision. but it sounds like you have a good doctor who is keeping a watchful eye on this.

"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004

Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat

Morphia Scleroderma

Osteoarthritis

Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid

Essential Tremors

Asthma

Migraines

Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis

PAD Peripheral Artery Disease

Angina and Atrial Fibrillation

Gluten Ataxia

Vitiligo

Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.

Ocular Myastenia Gravis

I understand your situation, I am sure that my husband joined the "Ailment of the Month club" this year. I so want to cancel his membership ASAP.

Hope all goes smoother for you and health issues get resolved.

Deb

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

I am sending prayers and hugs to you. I agree with Robbin about the things to do, like a book, walk, etc. to de-stress. It might help keep your blood pressure down a little. I would suggest that you talk it over with hubby and children (if they are old enough), that you get one hour (or half hour) to yourself. Go in the bedroom, shut the door and read or whatever. You should probably do this every day. You might consider taking yoga classes as I hear they are very relaxing. Things will get better. And there is nothing more scary then problems with our vision. but it sounds like you have a good doctor who is keeping a watchful eye on this.

(I LOVE your pic Mouse, it always cracks me up!)

Ditto! I have floaters too, and they seem thinner/fewer when my BP stays low and I am "chilled out". I hope you are done with your three bad things in a row, and you can relax now!

EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes

DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005

Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.

THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

AutumnE, Sorry to hear of your eye trouble. I am having vision problems and borderline Galucoma readings myself. I notice you are HypoThyroid. So am I. I thought you may be interested to know that since I started Thyroid meds( Armour) my eyes have improved, Glaucoma reading is normal. Same story for hubbie. His BP and blood sugar and cholesterol has also normalised. Are you on Armour ? Synthetic Thyroid meds don't do all that - only Armour.

www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

I have had to change my glasses 3x this year since starting Armour ( was on synthetics before) and each time they have IMPROVED ! The eye Dr can't believe it.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

Guest AutumnE

Thanks :) stress free is hard right now but I'm trying and keeping it low key as possible. My bp is supposedly normal with meds he told me that the kind I'm on will increase chances of glaucoma progressing instead of decreasing it. Basically switching from an ace inhibitor to a beta blocker. Hopefully my dr will do it. It isnt usually given to people with insulin resistance but I would rather take my chances with diabetes than glaucoma.

Im on levoxyl and I mentioned switching to armour a few years ago and he wouldnt do it. The only endo in the area and he wont listen to me. Maybe its time to branch out into another county.

Endo are usually the worst to dx and treat Thyroid. They love to keep people on synthetics even when their symptoms still are shouting Hypo. Can you see another Dr in your area? The armour web site www.armourthyroid.com has a list of Drs that prescribe Armour. I am up to 3 1/4 grains and love it. Wish I had it before. My eyes are still improving. Have to change my glasses once again soon.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

Autumn, Fish Oil is suppose to be good for the eyes and prevent eye problems, you might try to increase the fish oil.. Zinc is also good for the eyes. (Dr. Marc Rose wrote the book "Save your Sight" ) www.dr.marc@diabetes.net.

I'll keep you in my prayers.

Lee

Guest AutumnE

Thanks I am taking zinc, just started a couple of months ago. I have been thinking of going on my old prenatals when I was pg before. It had synthetic fish oil in it (without mercury), I'll have to check and see if its gluten free.

I have been reading up on glaucoma and its linked to diabetes/prediabetes also. I had a diagnosis of prediabetes in 2002 so far my hba1c have been coming back good but I wonder if it still does damage. Geez everything is related to celiac disease. It is a good thing my 2 year old is gluten free, hopefully she wont have all this lovely crap to deal with.