Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

heathen

Tapioca Starch

a friend sent me a reportedly yummy pie crust mix, but i need to roll it in tapioca starch. i've looked in health food stores--and in the mainstream ones, too--and i can't find it.

any ideas?--is online my only option, or is there a suitable substitute?

Diagnosed Celiac in February 2006

Villus blunting and positive blood test

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Do you have a Whole Foods or a Wegman's grocery store near by? Those are the places I've seen it.

I would think that you could also use potato starch to roll out the dough.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

a friend sent me a reportedly yummy pie crust mix, but i need to roll it in tapioca starch. i've looked in health food stores--and in the mainstream ones, too--and i can't find it.

any ideas?--is online my only option, or is there a suitable substitute?

Its actually sometimes called Tapioca flour. I am sure its at your natural food store and it is even at my local grocery store in Colorado Springs. Energ makes it and it in a box. Bob's Red mill makes it too in their line that a lot of grocery stores now carry. Theirs comes in a little see through bag like their gluten-free bread mix etc. You can order it from them directly on line too, but then you pay shipping. http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/index.p...;product_ID=384

I found tapioca starch in the asian section of the grocery store... and it's much cheaper than the health food store.

Mom of:

Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.

Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

asian markets should have it

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Britni

~Diagnosed with idiopathic autoimmune chronic hepatitus at age 7 (1992)

off medication and in remission since 2002

~Diagnosed with ulcerative colitus age 10 (1995)

on medication under control

~Diagnosed with Celiac's disease age 21, no symptoms (August 10, 2006)

been gluten free since September 6, 2006

You can mail order it from Bob's Red Mill or Ener-g foods, or even Amazon. They now have a terrific selection of gluten free stuff in their "grocery" section and the best part is that if you spend over a certain amount, shipping is free. Yay!

As people mentioned, Chinese or Japanese markets will sell tapioca starch as well. It's called katakuriko in Japanese. However, prices will probably be lower at a Chinese market- at least that's how it is in my area.

Just to add on to this...

Are tapioca starch and tapioca flour the same thing?

How about potato starch?

I'm curious...

In some of my recipes, I have substituted corn starch for potato starch, but I have never substituted tapioca flour for potato starch.

Just a little confused. :rolleyes: Thanks! -Julie :)

Loves of my life: God, my hubby, and my baby boy!

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"Life's a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"

(John Michael Montgomery).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."

(Garth Brooks).