This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Nutella (again Probably), And Iffy Rice Cereal.

majicbunnies

majicbunnies Contributor

I had Nutella last night on gluten-free bread and got sick once it reached my intestines (sharp pains, diarreah), and woke up with aches under my ribs, and around that general area. ? I've had the bread plenty of times and it doesn't get me sick. Maybe I had too much Nutella? I had 3 pieces of gluten-free bread with it total in the whole day. Is it possible that because it's made in England (so I've heard. Correct me if I'm wrong) they don't label gluten? Maybe they don't have the same laws or knowledge of it (I know we don't have laws)?

I also had some rice cereal (confetti colored) earlier..I guess it could have been that, because I've felt kind of sick from that before...

Here's the info on the cereal:

Brand/Company: Market Basket (bought it from a cheapo outlet grocery store).

Distributed by: Demoulas Super Markets Inc. (no contact info)

Name: Confruity Crisp, sweetened rice cereal (natural fruit flavor, w/other natural flavors)

Ingredients: Rice, Sugar, Vegetable Oil (contains one or more of the following oils: Sunflower, Soybean, Canola), Corn Syrup, Salt, Natural Flavors, Color Added (FD&C Blue #1), Turmeric (For Color), Vanillin (an artificial flavor).

I thought it was weird that it didn't contain any type of flour (rice, wheat, corn..) and didn't have malt flavoring like all the other rice cereals.

Says BHT is added to the packaging material. I don't know what that is...

Thanks for any help you give.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Sorry that you are ill. By the ingred. list that you provided........I saw natural flavors- with other natural flavors???? (if you may have a soy problem, this may be one).

Tooo many natural ingred. to make me feel comfortable eating. Vanillan ( in the US is ok, but don't know about others countries.)

"Natural Flavors" means that they are not going to tell you. I do tend to stay away from company who do not freely list.

Hope this will be helpful.

majicbunnies Contributor
Sorry that you are ill. By the ingred. list that you provided........I saw natural flavors- with other natural flavors???? (if you may have a soy problem, this may be one).

Tooo many natural ingred. to make me feel comfortable eating. Vanillan ( in the US is ok, but don't know about others countries.)

"Natural Flavors" means that they are not going to tell you. I do tend to stay away from company who do not freely list.

Hope this will be helpful.

It is. Thank you.

I guess I'll stay away from natural flavors? Or is it only when it says "other" natural flavors and doesn't list them? I figured they were okay because they're natural, and wheat/gluten doesn't seem like a flavor.

Lisa Mentor

I just wanted to add that there are several companies that will continuously list, wheat, barley, rye, oats, malt. One of those coming to mind is Kraft........as they will always list the above listed, if added. For instance, if a Kraft product contains wheat, it will say a very long word that does not look like wheat, but it will put in (wheat). They are one of the good guys.

It is a long learning process, it will happen.

Kraft foods will be labled if wheat is contained.

natip Newbie

I'm French, and the main celiac organisation here lists Nutella as safe.

I eat it all the time (as many French people I know, I couldn't live without it!)

majicbunnies Contributor
I'm French, and the main celiac organisation here lists Nutella as safe.

I eat it all the time (as many French people I know, I couldn't live without it!)

Oh thank you! I guess it must've been the cereal.

• 3 years later...
SD77 Newbie

confruity crisps cereal- store brand from Food Lion(like 'fruity pebbles' but store brand)...my son had a reaction to it too. I called the company, and asked about gluten, and they said they will email me...Don't eat it!!!!!!!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Frances03 Enthusiast

I have nutella too, I hope it is gluten free, I thought it was! It's so good on an apple or banana, that is how I eat it. I've always called it "new-tella" but don't really know how it's pronounced! is it nut-tella like NUTS ??? lol. I sure hope it's gluten free.

CeliacMom2008 Enthusiast

My son eats Nutella too. I'd suspect cross contamination with the cereal. I have a hard time believing cereal that isn't made with the intention of being gluten free ends up being gluten free. Have you ever seen how much dust comes out of box of cereal when you pour it. I have to imagine a factory that makes cereal with and without gluten ingredients is very likely going to have contamination issues. Kinnikinnick has a video on their website showing what a machine used in the food industry looks like and all the contamination possibilities.

I'd say enjoy the Nutella and ditch the cereal! And the heck with all this "Nutella on an apple or banana" stuff! Just put it on a spoon! :D (Yes, I'm a huge Nutella lover!!)

Frances03 Enthusiast
I'd say enjoy the Nutella and ditch the cereal! And the heck with all this "Nutella on an apple or banana" stuff! Just put it on a spoon! :D (Yes, I'm a huge Nutella lover!!)

ROFL!!!!!!!! I would suffer extreme guilt just eating it on a spoon, because I'm already overweight and always feel horrible about it! I wish I could do this!!! Maybe after a while on a gluten free diet I'll go back to the normal weight I used to be before celiac disease.

larry mac Enthusiast

Isn't it interesting how Celiacs suffer such diverse symptoms. I don't know if this forum has poll topic thread options, some do. In such a thread, there would a list of symptoms in the first post. Forum members would then check the ones that apply to them. The thread would then automatically tally the results, say by percentage. It's common on many forums.

As for the Confruity Crisp cereal, "rice" is listed as the first ingredient. That means rice (ground rice or rice flour is understood) is the main ingredient. Ingredients, by law, must be listed by weight. Cereal makers are notorious for defeating this law. To avoid having sugar be the main ingredient, and give the appearance of an unhealthy product, they will formulate with several forms of sugar. Notice in this case, sugar is the second ingredient (therefore the second largest by weight), but corn syrup is the fourth ingredient. It's possible, that if you add the sugar and corn syrup together, they could weight more than the rice. Some cereals contain five or six types of sugar. This allows the sugar ingredients to be listed farther down, seeming less significant. These guys are smart and sneaky.

Regarding the dust in the bottom of cereal boxes. This is simply sugar and other ingredients, mostly from the coatings they usually spray on the cereal, getting rubbed off during shipping and handling. It's not there initially when the cereal is put in the box. Not that there couldn't also be dust flying around the factory, but not to the extent that the "dust in the bottom of the box" conjures up. IMO. FWIW. B)

best regards, lm

edit:

Oh yeah, I used Nutella a while back without incident. I was on a crepe kick, and used it as one of my fillings. Not bad. But butter and syrup was my fav, just like thin little pancakes. Yum Yum! :D

Lisa A Newbie

LOL! Okay I don't feel so weird about eating it off a spoon now. Rice cakes with Nutella are good too of course.

SD77 Newbie

FYI: In an email from Food Lion, they stated that their supplier admits there is gluten in Confruity Crisp Cereal...not sure where, since it isn't labeled!

Shannon

Wolicki Enthusiast

I read the title of the post and my heart sank! My little boy was just dx with celiac disease and he lives for nutella. Whew! :D

Archived