Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amooliakin

Hello - New Here

Hi everyone. I am glad I found this forum and look forward to learning a lot from all of you. My daughter (8 years old) was diagnosed 3 weeks ago and we have been trying VERY hard to be gluten-free since then. We have of course made a few mistakes since this is all brand new to us. But I think we are doing great with fresh foods, gluten-free baking at home, shopping for gluten-free foods on line and at health food stores. It helps that we live in New York City where you can get just about anything (except maybe peace and quiet ;) )

I have so many small questions that come up but of course I can't think of any of them now.

I just wanted to say hi and I will be reading posts and joining in soon.

Amy

Mother of 2 kids (one with Celiac) and 23 pet mice :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Amy!

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find this to be a great place for support and resource for knowledge...these people know everything! I don't know where I'd be without this forum...lost, probably! :D

Courtney

Courtney - 25

Columbia, SC

Gluten-free since July 8, 2006

Casein-free since October 16, 2006

Went six weeks, and fell back into a deliciously painful world of cheese.

Casein-free (again and for serious this time) December 11, 2006

Stupid cheese addiction....2/07

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993

Dx Gluten & Casein Sensitive through Enterolab 10/06

Dx Adrenal *Exhaustion* 2/07

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk. This could pose some trouble over holidays when I wish to visit my family. It also poses a problem involving the severe rage I feel when I have to throw away somebody's unfinished cheese sticks. That is so wrong.

Welcome to the forum Amy. It sounds like you have the diet well in hand. Just remember when you do have questions, we never consider any too dumb to ask. We have all been where you are, whether with kids, ourselves, friends or spouses.

"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004

Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat

Morphia Scleroderma

Osteoarthritis

Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid

Essential Tremors

Asthma

Migraines

Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis

PAD Peripheral Artery Disease

Angina and Atrial Fibrillation

Gluten Ataxia

Vitiligo

Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.

Ocular Myastenia Gravis

Thanks - I have learned a lot from another forum where I asked my first batch of 1,000 or so questions :blink:

And of course I have been talking to everyone I know and reading every book I can get my hands on. But this will be more helpful because I specifically have questions about my child.

As I mentioned, my daughter was just diagnosed a few weeks ago. Since then my son (12) and I have also gotten the blood test but don't have results yet. If it turns out we have it too it should be easier in some ways. But I don't think either of us will take it at all as well as my daughter.

In her case she was really feeling lousy for a long time. So going on a diet to make herself feel better makes sense. MY son and I feel fine now. So if we have Celiac it will be one of those cases of hidden without symptoms.

Wish us good luck....

Mother of 2 kids (one with Celiac) and 23 pet mice :)

Welcome! This is a fab place, filled with helpful, friendly people! I'm glad to hear that you're getting the hang of the diet so quickly, and that it's helping. :)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Welcome Amy! :D

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

Amy,

We are happy to have you here! This is a great place for information, support, research, recipes, etc. No question is too silly, stupid, or gross---we have all been there and done that, so to speak. :)

Your daughter is so lucky to have a mom that is so helpful and is determined to keep her 100% gluten free.

Some personal favorites of mine:

Tinkyada brand (rice) pastas...in all varieties of "normal" pastas.

San-J gluten free soy sauce (be careful, they have gluten containing ones, so make sure you get the right ones!)

gluten free pretzels

many McCormick brand seasoning packets (like tacos, enchiladas, etc) happen to be gluten free. Make sure to read the label each time as they can change. But you can go onto www.mccormick.com and find the ingredients for all their products.

many mainstream products happen to be gluten free....coke/pepsi/most sodas, corn/tortilla chips (which I just used in place of crackers), ....

Let us know what we can do. Welcome to the board.

Laura