This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Am Now Treated For Low Thyroid

Ursa Major

Ursa Major Collaborator

Allison, I am seeing my naturopath again on Thursday the week after next, and can ask him if he can recommend somebody for you in Pittsburgh. Of course, you know I am in Canada, but I think they usually have lists of good collegues (just like chiropractors do).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Thanks! :)

Ursa Major Collaborator
Thanks! :)

You're welcome.

Georgie, I did a search on Armour and found their website. It is made from pork thyroid. I react badly to all pork, it's the only meat I can't eat. So, it is possible that Armour would cause an unwanted reaction in me, instead of helping. Even more reason to give the treatment I am on a good try.

I really appreciate your concern, and will keep everything you said in mind. Your information is excellent, and without you I wouldn't even have figured out that I have low thyroid function. Thank you for that, you HAVE made a difference. Now you need to let me figure out what exactly works for me. And trust that I will. I have every intention of getting well, and if one thing doesn't work, I'll try another.

georgie Enthusiast

Ursula, By all means. We are just swapping stories here and what works for some doesn't work or isn't suitable for another. Armour is the traditional treatment for low Thyroid which sadly has been forgotten in the last 30 years but is now being rediscovered as it is superior to synthetic meds. As Janie says - It works, it just works...

I am glad we agree about synthetics. I had to really fight my Dr to get Armour but she is now happy to learn from us. Armour is made from pigs thyroid so some may have problems with that,due to diet or religious reasons.I believe some religions allow Armour to be swallowed and not chewed if it is for a genuine medical reason. If your meds work for you, Ursula - that's good. When I signed on here to learn about Celiac I was horrified to see so many Hypo people here with bad Thyroid meds and out of control symptoms.

If you are cold, have low temps, Fibro and are fatigued for no reason ..get your Thyroid checked properly.

If you have been dx with low Thyroid and take synthetics( Synthroid, Cytomel) and still feel cold, tired and have Fibro or CFS- get onto Armour or alternatives.

When you get your Thyroid checked - get the paperwork. Post the results to the web. Be in charge of your own health.

Once you have one autoimmune disease you are at risk of having another .....

georgie Enthusiast

Ursula, Actually your post was interesting re the Iodine. My patch test disappeared within 6 hours.I guess that means I need lots of Iodine :D

And Wilsons method of tracking temps as symptom #1 is interesting. That is hard for some people to understand , but back before 1970 there was NO test for Thyroid other than symptoms of low temp . So Wilson is really following traditional guidelines that were used before the Thyroid test( TSH) was invented in 1970s. A few Drs in the 30 years since have tried to use this system but some have actually been disallowed to practise. Can you believe that? Drs being told what they can and can't do. Some even had petitions from their ( healthy) patients of 1000s of names.....

Now - with the power of the Internet - we can gather information and 'spread the word'. Hopefully this time the vast numbers of people that are regaining their health, due to Drs who are prepared to 'think' , can swing the pendulum back.

Unfortunately there is more profit in keeping people ill than there is to cure them. :(

tiffjake Enthusiast

Hey Ursla! Glad you are finding some answers!

I did the iodine patch test, and mine was gone in 20 hours (maybe faster, I forgot to look at it....oops...but I did take pics to show a doc).

I got a referral for a endo, but the wait is 2 months at the nearest doc (30 min away).

CarlaB, I am thinking about using that supplement that you were talking about for the next 2 months (I am desperate to not be tired).

Does anyone know if using the supplement would change the ANTIBODY tests for thyroid? I know I should just wait the 2 months until I see this other doc and they do their blood tests, just wanted to do *something* in the meantime.

Anyway, thanks for this thread! Very helpful!

CarlaB Enthusiast

Tiff, the supplement I take has both iodine and glandular thyroid. If it makes your thyroid function go up, you won't test as being low. I've taken it for years based on my basal temps and my thyroid has never tested low.

Ursula, I agree. I DEFINATELY have a gluten problem. But, a year ago my IgA was fine and so was my biopsy, my absoption was borderline. So, I think there's some other problem otherwise I'd feel better by now. The adrenal support just doesn't seem to be doing anything. If there's another underlying condition, I want to find out what it is as I'm not satisfied with being non-functional! There were some detox symptoms that made me think it might be Lyme. Plus, I had countless ticks as a kid, and I've felt bad since then.

I do think you are on the right track.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ksmith Contributor

Can someone tell me what temperature is considered "low"--I looked on the Wilson's website and I couldn't find a specific number. I mean, are we talking 97 degrees or more like 94 degrees? Thanks so much!!

Ursa Major Collaborator
Can someone tell me what temperature is considered "low"--I looked on the Wilson's website and I couldn't find a specific number. I mean, are we talking 97 degrees or more like 94 degrees? Thanks so much!!

Anything below 97.6 is too low, I believe (as your average daytime temperature). Mine was as low as 94.4 at times during the day, which is extremely low, and in fact is considered to be mild hypothermia. There is a problem long before that.

Carla, knowing that you had tick bites many times during your childhood, and haven't felt great since then is highly suspicious. It's high time you get tested for Lyme disease! And yes, it could very well have triggered active gluten intolerance (even though sooner or later SOMETHING would have triggered it, of course). I almost hope your tests come out positive, because then at least something can be done, and you can get well. Knowing is always better than guessing.

I'll keep praying.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Thanks, Ursula ... you're so sweet! So are those babies in your picture!

Ursa Major Collaborator
Thanks, Ursula ... you're so sweet! So are those babies in your picture!

Thanks, Carla. Hanna is now 3 months old, and Zoey is six months old. They're both so very sweet. When I had them both sitting (sort of :D ) on the couch for that picture two weeks ago, at one point Zoey reached over and stroked Hanna's head very gently several times. She'll stroke my cheek with that soft hand of hers when I hold her, too. She is just adorable (and of course, she better be, she has red hair like me :P , mind you, she has that red-haired temper, too :ph34r: ).

• 2 weeks later...
moonmaiden Newbie

Ursula, I was so happy to find your post! I'm about to start the Wilson's protocol. I'm waiting for the meds to come via Fedex. It wasn't clear to me if you are taking the actual time-released T3 or going the nutritional supplement only route - I know Wilson's offers both.

Frankly, I'm a little bittle nervous about starting the protocol because I'm sure that I can expect some "hyper" symptoms - heart palpatations, etc. I spent a long time down that road in the past and it's almost like inviting my "old enemy" in.

Just some info I'd like to pass along on Wilson's (as I understand it). His theory is that some people (usually the descendents of famine survivors) go into a "conservation" mode when the body is undergoing physical or emotional trauma. Part of this mode is lower the bodies temperature and keep it there - apparently, this is a good way to survive starvation. This is evidenced by the fact that we are the descendents of "survivors" of famine.

The typical Wilson's patient has all the symptoms of hypothyroidism without the lower T3/T4 levels. If you've ever searched through the "thyroid" boards, that seems to include a vast number of people. Dr. Wilson likens it to a car that's not running properly - it's like checking to see if the gas tank is full - when the problem is in the engine itself. Checking for gas levels and thinking your only option is add gas (traditional thyroid thinking) is just not gonna help the car run.

I've suffered with Hashimoto's and have been back and forth between hyper and hypo for years - it's torture! As is predicted with this disease, it seems like my thyroid has finally given up the fight and I'm going "hypo" big time. I want to try this protocol before I find myself on an ever escalating thyroid supplement for the rest of my life. His protocol involves taking an increasing amount of time-released T3 while carefully monitoring your temperature. There are guidelines (max amounts, etc.,) of course, but once you've arrived at 98.6 (or close enough) you stay on that dosage for two weeks. It seems that the overwhelming majority of people arrive at that sustained temperature after having tried this somewhere between one and six times. The good part is that all your symptoms go into remission and stay there without any further meds. This is far different than staying on an ever increasing amount of thyroid supplement which tends to be hard to regulate for life.

I have not been tested for celiac but I feel sure that I have some form of this disease. I have been off gluten completely for about six months and it has helped my symptoms enormously.

Perhaps it's the ingestion of grains that "tell" our bodies that we are in starvation mode? My ancestors certainly didn't cultivate grain in the notoriously rocky soil of Ireland. They ate animal protein, sea vegetation and uncultivated land vegetation. I'm trying to stick as closely as possible to that sort of diet - lots of meat and dark greens.

I'll let you all know how my Wilson's treatment goes. My best to all in dealing with these wear-you-down symptoms! Remember it's all part of the journey! :) moonmaiden

Dianne Lam Newbie

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk.

Courtney

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaatt!! Courtney, are you telling me they have ' Food Police' in the land of the free ?

Please , tell me more !

jebus Newbie
Ursula,

Thanks! I most likely do have a problem in this area, but I know my doctor would just give me that blank look--and we all know what she's thinking!

I need to find someone here that understands this stuff. Ugh--why are these things so hard????

I had her do the full (as "full" as she saw fit to do) thyroid panel a couple of months ago--she said it was normal--although I did not see the results for myself. I know she did the TSH, T3 and T4.

My maternal grandmother had thyroid problems--and ended up having a large goiter removed when I was little. This is the side of the family that also has autoimmune problems--two women have MS, and there are various other conditions.

jebus Newbie
Ursula,

Thanks! I most likely do have a problem in this area, but I know my doctor would just give me that blank look--and we all know what she's thinking!

I need to find someone here that understands this stuff. Ugh--why are these things so hard????

I had her do the full (as "full" as she saw fit to do) thyroid panel a couple of months ago--she said it was normal--although I did not see the results for myself. I know she did the TSH, T3 and T4.

My maternal grandmother had thyroid problems--and ended up having a large goiter removed when I was little. This is the side of the family that also has autoimmune problems--two women have MS, and there are various other conditions.

Jerseyangel:

Hi, I just read your post from November 4th, where you mention that your doctor would probably just give you a blank stare and that you don't see the written results of your own bloodwork. Did I read that correctly? I live in Jersey too and, if that's the case, it's time for a new endocrinologist for you! It was mine who has been treating my underactive thyoid for 16 years, who knew right away what it was when I told him how tired and crappy I felt. After finding malabsorption of iron and vitamins in my bloodwork (which I ALWAYS get written copies of), he said "Now we have to run a celiac panel - I'm sure that's what it is".

While I'm here, I see people debating between Synthroid and something called Armour. I take .45 mg of Synthroid daily and would like to hear the pros and cons; anybody reading - can you help me?

Thanks,

Jebus

georgie Enthusiast

Jebus, A lot of people take Synthroid and say they are fine, and lots take Armour and say the same thing. But there are lots of people that take Synthroid and only feel a bit better and not 'brand new'. Sadly sometimes these folks don't know that they havea choice.

I tried synthetic T3 and had a bit of improvement but not a lot. Since starting Armour I feel like my life is being reborn and the person I had forgotten I was - is coming back. Its truly a miracle and hard to put into words.Janies web site stopthethyroidmadness says it all really. Read her story. Its echoed by the 1000s who have made the switch. :)

Ursula and Georgie, I was wonodering if either of you saw the discussion of Lyme on the (long) OMG thread started by Rachel? Today, Rinne posted something very interesting:

"One symptom of Lyme is the feeling that we are losing our mind. Think about it, it is literally true, once the bugs establish themselves they can do all sorts of things like turn our body temperature down because they like the cold. They can turn us into clumsy fools that ride straight into telephone poles. "

Thge bugs she mentions are the Lyme spirochetes, I think.

Several people on this board have been diagnosed with Lyme disease, and the amount of symptom crossover with celiac is startling. Not to say that oone causes the other, or that everyone with celiac actually has Lyme (or vice versa), but there does seem to be at least a segment of the celiac population with both.

With this low body temperature thing, I was wondering if there could be a relationship between Lyme and Wilson's Syndrome, as well....

Ksmith Contributor

Ursala (or anyone else who may know),

Can naturopathic doctors prescribe the Dr. Wilson's meds? Or do you have to get an MD to do so? Thanks!

~K

georgie Enthusiast

Fiddle Faddle - I don't know much about Lyme's Disease but will have a look. Its either very rare in Australia or non existant depending on different research. Its certainly non existant where I live as we have no ticks. They do around Sydney but they are still working out if they carry Lymes.

Where is the OMG thread ?

Ursa Major Collaborator
Ursala (or anyone else who may know),

Can naturopathic doctors prescribe the Dr. Wilson's meds? Or do you have to get an MD to do so? Thanks!

~K

Either you or a doctor (and that includes naturopaths) can buy those meds (depending on their strength) from Dr. Wilson's website, and then the naturopathic doctor will supervise treatment. The medicine I am taking can only be bought by registered doctors, including naturopaths. My naturopath sold it to me, and is treating me with it.

Since most MDs haven't got a clue about this (some do), it would be pretty pointless if they'd be the only ones who could prescribe those meds/supplements.

Alison, my naturopath dismissed the Lyme disease idea right away, because I grew up in Germany, don't remember a bulls-eye rash, and don't live in a tick-infested area.

But when I was a kid I would often hide out in the brush in nearby woods after having been kicked out of the house for being a 'bad kid'. Since I didn't want to see or talk to anybody, I'd sit in the underbrush for hours, observing woodpeckers, and thinking.

I know that there ARE ticks in Germany, and that Lyme disease is called something different there. It does exist in Germany. And there certainly were deer in those woods.

So, if my treatment won't work to make me better, I'll bring it up again. In fact, I'll mention it again at my next visit in a week and a half.

Georgie, here is a link to the last page (there are over 9000 posts!) of the thread. Skim back over the last 100 posts or so (lots of them are very short). There really are a lot of very, very interesting ideas. Or maybe you can pm Rachel, Rinne, or some of the others who have been diagnosed with Lyme. Apparently, Lyme is not only prevalant in the supposedly Lyme-infested areas as was once thought, but can be ANYWHERE. Like thyroid issues, most doctors are a good 30 years behind. Also, the experts are now saying that fewer than 50% of people with Lyme actually get the famous "bulls-eye" rash.

There are also some Lyme support boards, too.

• 3 weeks later...
tiffjake Enthusiast

Ursula and Georgie, Just wanted to let you guys know that I was diagnosed with hasimotos thyroiditis (sp? it is late....). The doc is calling me tomorrow with the lab values. I actually saw two docs. The first appt with the first doc's PA, so I go back to see that doc in a week. The second appt was with a different doc, and she diagnosed me on the spot, and wants to put me on thyroxine.......I want to ask for Armour, but I don't want to be a pain in the ass, any thoughts on how to bring that up? I am not a doc, so I don't know how to say "I want this med instead" since I really don't know the difference......anyway, georgie, if you could PM me some info, that would be great. And thanks for your thread Ursula, it reminded me to look into it again. Thanks, TiffJake

georgie Enthusiast

Just wanted to let you guys know that I was diagnosed with hasimotos thyroiditis

Tiffjake, Will PM some info to you. Armour is a superior med to Thyroxine. Its hard to explain to some Drs so you need a Dr that cares and is willing. But 10000s of patients stories all confirm that used correctly it is far superior. Its needs adrenals checked as it won't work if you have adrenal insufficiency.Armour has been around since 1900. The site I will PM has archive material from the British Museum that explains the early trials and success stories c 1900. A great grandson of that pioneer is now actively working in Europe and training other Drs.Lots of people around the world now working to inform people that synthetics thyroid meds are not that good.

georgie Enthusiast
Georgie, here is a link to the last page (there are over 9000 posts!) of the thread. Skim back over the last 100 posts or so (lots of them are very short). There really are a lot of very, very interesting ideas. Or maybe you can pm Rachel, Rinne, or some of the others who have been diagnosed with Lyme. Apparently, Lyme is not only prevalant in the supposedly Lyme-infested areas as was once thought, but can be ANYWHERE. Like thyroid issues, most doctors are a good 30 years behind. Also, the experts are now saying that fewer than 50% of people with Lyme actually get the famous "bulls-eye" rash.

Its very interesting. Lyme crops up on the Thyroid lists quite a bit too. The few that have both seem to say that they need Thyroid 100% beore they can kill off Lyme. Its a bit of a chicken and egg story really :lol: Its interesting that one cure for Lyme ( Vit C and sea salt ) is also a cure for adrenal insufficency which is common with Hypo. All a vicious circle ?

loraleena Contributor

For those of you who can't find a good doc to help, contact Gina Honeyman-Lowe. She runs the center for Metabolic Health in Boulder Colorodo and have been my thyroid doc for 2 years. The website is drlowe.com. I do all long distant consult with her. My regular doc does everthing she says. Their site is very informative and will back up all the things Georgie talks about.

Archived