This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Your Opinion Please...

silly-yak1979

silly-yak1979 Newbie

I have been a diagnosed Celiac for approximately 2 years. My husband and I have decided to try for a baby, and of course I'm stressed about everything :) Folic Acid, starting on Pre Natals, Foods, etc.

So my question is this. For the most part I am gluten free. Every once in a while I splurge on something that I haven't had in a long time, and usually have no gluten free alternative. I did this a few weekends ago, will this affect my attempt at trying to get pregnant? Going forward, I know not to do this, and to stay on a strict diet, but if it sneaks in, will it totally kill our efforts of getting pregnant?

Thanks...this will be the first attempt and first child, so of course I'm normally cautious.

Brandy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Hi Brandy, and welcome to this board. I doubt that cheating once in a while will stop you from getting pregnant. And not all celiacs have trouble conceiving. I would conceive very, very easily. My problem was staying pregnant, I've had eight miscarriages. Of course, at that time I had no clue about celiac disease.

That said, you really, really need to stop cheating, as you are damaging your villi every time. It is bad enough that we can't altogether avoid getting glutened once in a while, without doing it on purpose.

Each time you consume gluten, it takes your intestines at least a month to heal. If you cheat once a month, that means they never heal, and your chances of getting intestinal cancer are just as high as it is for somebody with celiac disease who isn't on the diet.

I hope you get your wish and become pregnant soon. But please, for yours and your baby's sake, you absolutely need to be gluten-free. And no, getting glutened by mistake once in a while will not permanently harm you or a baby, and you can't really worry about it, as it's inevitable. Just be as vigilant as you can be, without getting too paranoid.

Have you eliminated any personal care products containing gluten? You need to replace any shampoo, conditioner, lipstick, chapstick, soap, lotions, toothpaste etc. that have things like wheat germ oil, barley extract or oat bran in them.

Also, I hope you have a toaster that has never been used for gluten containing breads, as you are unable to clean a toaster well enough to not be a source of cross-contamination.

happygirl Collaborator

sillyyak 1979:

I highly recommend reading Dr. Peter Green's book (see title in my signature). You can order it off amazon. He is a leading expert in Celiac and has a chapter on fertility and pregnancy. It will be your best reference, probably more so than your doctor. I like to be educated and read for myself...and as a first time mom-to-be, I'm sure you are the same as well.

Also, just reading the book will stress to you how serious Celiac is, and will help you remain 100% gluten free...regardless of the pregnancy. Best of luck to you, my dear. I am in that "life stage" also....and hope to try one day as well. :)

Keep us updated, and let us know what we can do. PM me if I can do anything.

tarnalberry Community Regular

many people get pregnant and have kids before they discover they are celiac, but as ursula noted, you really need to stop cheating - intentionally eating gluten as little as once a month is the same as not following the diet, in terms of long term risk of complications (cancer, nutritional deficiencies, shortened life-span). so, please, please, go fully gluten-free. if there are things we can help you find to fill the holes, we can certainly try to do that!

tracey* Rookie

I wouldn't risk it. Simple as that ;)

It's way too important to keep your body in top condition before, during and after pregnancy, and if you have been diagnosed, then you must be strict.

Guest cassidy

I wouldn't cheat from now on, but I'm sure the last glutening won't matter. I'm pregnant now and I have been glutened once since I got pregnant. In the beginning I was freaked out about it and worried it would happen, but I have relaxed now.

I have realized that being pregnant is like a marathon. You try your best everyday but there are so many days and you have to go on with everyday life so you can't be worried about every little thing like you could if you were only pregnant for a week or two.

As other people have said, there are plenty of celiacs that found out after they were pregnant or during the pregnancy and have children that were fine.

Also, I have felt so crappy that when I was glutened and had morning sickness, etc., I was absolutely miserable. There is no way I would voluntarily go through both of them at the same time.

I read the best book before we started trying called Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It teaches you a lot about your body and when to try if you want to get pregnant quickly. I highly recommend it if you like to read.

twtums Newbie

I agree with everyone about the risks of cheating, just one thing to add, you might as well get use to not doing it now. Cravings are even stronger pregnant! What can't you find an alternative for? We would love to help. Although I do have a few things I'm thinking of taking bites of after baby comes :), I figure one cheat more than a year later should be ok right? Naughty!

Folic acid is very important, but not something to stress over. Just get a prenatal and make sure it has enough Folic Acid (some say 800mcg some say 1mg so I do 1 mg) and is gluten free and start taking it everyday. Once you are in this habit it becomes second nature. Then just eat as healthy as you can and please try not to stress. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

silly-yak1979 Newbie

Thanks you guys, you really gave me the kick in the butt that I needed. I was so good for so long, then got married...

We ordered the Clan Thompson Food list over the weekend, and am definately gonna order the books you all suggested. My husband is now going to be a part of my cheering squad with food.

I think part of the problem is the monotony, and the cost of special foods. I hate that I have to pay almost $7 for a loaf of bread, that doesn't even particularly taste very good. Although I am pretty handing in the kitchen, I definately don't have time to be making my own starches. Any ideas?

Alexandra Newbie
I hate that I have to pay almost $7 for a loaf of bread, that doesn't even particularly taste very good. Although I am pretty handing in the kitchen, I definately don't have time to be making my own starches. Any ideas?

Um...I've given up bread altogether although I sometimes substitute spaghetti squash (a squash, not a pasta! for pastas). Potatoes? Rice? Personally I find it easier (and cheaper) just to eat stuff I enjoy that is naturally gluten-free rather than looking for gluten-free substitites...

tarnalberry Community Regular
I think part of the problem is the monotony, and the cost of special foods. I hate that I have to pay almost $7 for a loaf of bread, that doesn't even particularly taste very good. Although I am pretty handing in the kitchen, I definately don't have time to be making my own starches. Any ideas?

Eh... who needs bread? Want something that's heavy in carbs that isn't fruit? How about rice? Potatoes? Sweet potatoes? Beans? Lentils? Millet? Quinoa? A big batch of muffins that you can store a bunch in the freezer so you only have to make them once a month or so.

Archived