This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Symptoms

draeko

draeko Apprentice

Hi Everyone I am also new to Celiac disease. I am trying hard to get on the gluten free diet but I still am doing a few mistakes. My main concern was symptoms. right now I feel weak all over like my body wants to shut down .is this normal?

Thanks for all your help,

Draeko

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sunshinen Apprentice

Yes. Absolutely normal. Your body was probably shutting down to begin with, and switching your diet so drastically can be a sort of shock. The good news is, you're going to feel great!! It may take some time, just stick with it. You'll get there.

Guest nini

most of us go through a period of "withdrawal" type symptoms and the feeling of your body shutting down is one of those. Hang in there, take care of yourself, make sure you are taking a good pro biotic with digestive enzymes, and a good gluten-free multi vitamin. Eat foods that are naturally gluten-free to start with, don't try anything fancy... give your body time to recover... if you haven't already seen my "newbie survival kit" click on the link below in my signature for my web page and scroll down to the link to download the "newbie survival kit" I hope it helps you!

jerseyangel Proficient
Hi Everyone I am also new to Celiac disease. I am trying hard to get on the gluten free diet but I still am doing a few mistakes. My main concern was symptoms. right now I feel weak all over like my body wants to shut down .is this normal?

Thanks for all your help,

Draeko

Hi Draeko, and welcome to the board!

It's perfectly normal to feel weak and tired when first starting the diet. Your body is starting to heal, slowly, and this takes a lot of energy. You've probably been without the proper nutrients for a while now, and your system is kind of making up for lost time.

My suggestion for right now is to listen to what your body wants--eat good foods regularly and when you are hungry. Get as much rest as you can--even nap if your schedule allows. Drink plenty of good water.

To minimize the dietary mistakes, focus on naturally gluten-free foods like meats, poultry, fish (all fresh), rice, potatoes, fruit, veggies, eggs. It takes time to get familiar with the different processed foods. You should always check on the gluten status if you're not sure. Ask here--chances are, someone has experience with the product.

Did you check to make sure that all of you medicines, suppliments and personal care products are gluten-free? We can help you with those, too!

I felt weak--like a wet dishrag for the first couple of months. I felt like I just couldn't get enough sleep. This will slowly improve as your system heals. Good luck with everything--and don't hesitate to let us know how we can help! :D

draeko Apprentice

Wow thank you both for answering my post. I truly appreciate it...I will take all your advice..And I will be leaning on this Forum for support. This is great.

Melanie (a.k.a. Draeko)

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yes it is normal and it takes time to really feel better so do not expect an overnight change. Hang in there it does get better:)

Creative-Soul Newbie

Welcome!

It will take a while for you to feel better, but you will, so just hang in there! Sometimes we feel worse as we are getting better as our bodies are adjusting to new habits while purging all the old stuff. Major change like this is also tiring on a mental/emotional level as well, so keep that in mind.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived