This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Holiday Parties

angel42

angel42 Enthusiast

Hi,

This time of year there are so many holiday parties. My husband just took me to his firm's holiday party and I was afraid to take food since I didn't know what was in anything. I went to a holiday party last night and just stuck to cheese and olives because I was afraid to eat anything else. I feel like I have developed a sort of food aversion for unknown food since when I look at it all I see if how sick I could get if I eat it. How do you all handle holiday parties not thrown by close friends who don't mind all of the questions about what is safe?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nantzie Collaborator

I do exactly what you do. I eat before I go, then if there is something I feel safe eating, I do. The problem even with olives and cheese is that even though they're generally safe, there's always a chance that people are getting their gluten-y fingers all over them. Sometimes I feel safe with the setup, sometimes not.

If it's a catered party, I know that if you contact the restaurant or catering company for any party, most of the time they will be able to make something for you.

Nancy

Guest cassidy

It is hard to find food to eat at parties. I wouldn't even touch the cheese like Nantzie said because you never know who touched it. I usually eat before and bring a snack in my purse.

If you really want to eat something there you could ask a server if they have extra cheese (or other things that should be safe if they are not contaiminated after being made) in the back. They may be willing to make you a small plate of stuff after they wash their hands so you know it should be safe. Cheese is just usually near crackers so it usually makes me nervous.

Also, if you wanted to do a little research you could try to contact the caterer and see if they could make something for you. I'm sure your husband would know who was organizing the party and you might be able to contact that person and see if they would give you the caterer's number.

I get very worried about eating food in those settings so I'm more comfortable just bringing my own, but if you aren't extremely sensitive my suggestions might work.

brendygirl Community Regular

They had corn tortillas and meat and cilantro and onions and tortilla chips and salsa at my work.

I ate it all and didn't get sick. Here in So. Cal. the authentic mexican meat is usually only seasoned with lime juice and other nongluten spices, so I'm lucky. ANd it's all fresh.

However, most of the parties I can't eat anything. Sometimes if I'm feeling naughty, I walk around and stare at people eating fattening food and act like I'm above it all since I'm not eating it. haha

Or I bring candy or something luscious like a gluten-free donut or chocolate covered strawberries in my purse.

Recently at a luncheon, I left work (everyone else had to stay for the working lunch) and got a giant burger with bacon and fries from a slow food take out place and brought it back to work where they were all eating the chinese food provided. Everyone tried not to salivate over my lunch.

dragonmom Apprentice

I vote for bringing what you want to eat with you, I went to a dinner at my husbands co workers house, she knew I couldn't eat gluten....lets say the salad was good. Lesson learned, bring food. :P

tarnalberry Community Regular

At such parties, I try to find out the menu. If there aren't plain fruits and vegetables (as appetizers) or something else painfully obvious to be only a single ingredient, I eat before. Heck, I'll usually eat before anyway, because contamination is a big risk at large catered events.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I just had my holiday party last night. Although there were a couple things that looked safe, I figured why risk it. I basically just ate a big lunch to tide me over, and then made it through the party thinking about the delicious leftovers I was going to have when I got home from the dinner party I hosted the night before.

It sucks to not be able to eat anything at those things, but not as much as it would if I got sick in the middle of it.

It's not like a restaurant where I can grill the waiter. I'm not about to ask the server passing the pesto covered shrimp what else might be in there. It's just not worth it to me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star
It sucks to not be able to eat anything at those things, but not as much as it would if I got sick in the middle of it.

It's not like a restaurant where I can grill the waiter. I'm not about to ask the server passing the pesto covered shrimp what else might be in there. It's just not worth it to me.

That's pretty much how I feel. Sometimes it's worth it to ask and sometimes it isn't. Either way, it's just food. I can usually make better food at home anyway. Let them eat their over-salted chinese food and flavorless stews - I'm going home to make pulled pork with a spicy sauce and grilled peppers.

Archived