This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dari Free

jaten

jaten Enthusiast

I just ordered some Dari Free and noticed they've changed the packaging to a resealable canister. Woo Hoo! That's good.

But, it tastes different. :( Has anybody else noticed this? I know it's not my imagination, it has a very sweet taste, sort of like melted ice cream. It even smells sweet, like vanilla frosting.

I looked at the ingredient list but I don't have the old carton to compare it to. I've written the company, just today, and am waiting to hear back.

It tastes good, but not the sort of thing I want to put on my cereal and have for everyday general purposes. I'm hoping this can is a goof.

:(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jaten Enthusiast
I just ordered some Dari Free and noticed they've changed the packaging to a resealable canister. Woo Hoo! That's good.

But, it tastes different. :( Has anybody else noticed this? I know it's not my imagination, it has a very sweet taste, sort of like melted ice cream. It even smells sweet, like vanilla frosting.

I looked at the ingredient list but I don't have the old carton to compare it to. I've written the company, just today, and am waiting to hear back.

It tastes good, but not the sort of thing I want to put on my cereal and have for everyday general purposes. I'm hoping this can is a goof.

:(

All is well in land of DariFree!! :D Perhaps this canister came at the beginning or end of a run and just doesn't have the exactly right mix of ingredients. I don't know. But I'm happy!!! :):)

I just received this e-mail from the company:

"Thank you for the positive feedback regarding the new packaging. However, the formula has not changed for years and is the same formula that was used in the cartons. That is very strange that it tasted sweeter to you. I am hoping that the next batch you purchase is closer to the taste you have experienced in the past and am hoping that you can continue to enjoy DariFree in the future."

jerseyangel Proficient

Well, that's good to know. I use Dari Free, but am still using up what I have in the older cartons. Sometimes, it does have a little bit of a vanilla-y taste and smell to it. Makes great cocoa :D

Thanks for posting the email!

jaten Enthusiast

When I e-mailed back to thank her for the info, she replied that she does suspect that this particular can must have been at the beginning or end of a batch.

Jersey Angel, I bet that's why you've noticed a vanilla-y taste before. This was my first experience with any inconsistency, and wow(!) it's overwhelming...sssoooo very sweet tasting. (In fact, I thought about tossing this can, but decided to reserve it for uses where a very sweet milk would be ok....cocoa....hmmmm :rolleyes: ) I still think they're a GREAT company! Very good service and product.

Juliebove Rising Star

I don't have any in the new package. That reminds me though. Need to order more. I think mine is rather old. It has always had an overly sweet taste to me though. I don't like to use it in anything other than sweet foods. Tried making a mushroom sauce with it once and :o ! Daughter likes the chocolate either frozen into pops or heated and topped with marshmallows.

Archived