Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

loraleena

Excema And Asmtha

I met a guy at a party on the weekend who wanted more info on celiac. He has what the docs say is excema all over and asmtha. He says his gut tells him the rash is food related. He said once a natural doc had him do water and rice for a week and he said it started to clear up. Since he is African American I told him to look into lactose intolerance right away. I also said I would hook him up with this site and other info. on celiac. My question is - how common is celiac in African Americans? Anyone one this board. I really want to help this guy. The docs have done nothing for him.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Most people think that people in Africa don't get celiac disease. The truth of the matter is, that MOST of them are gluten intolerant, but nobody usually knows (unless they eat the surplus wheat countries send for relief), because the grains they usually eat (like millet and teff) are gluten-free.

So, I think that many African Americans are gluten intolerant. Maybe he could do the Enterolab testing? But if he tries the gluten-free diet, and it helps, that would really be all the evidence needed.

Rashes and asthma are definitely two of the lesser known celiac disease symptoms, but recognized possible symptoms nevertheless.

Also, rather than lactose intolerance, your friend might be casein intolerant. Meaning, he would be wise to try eliminating all dairy as well as gluten for a while to see if his eczema clears up.

Three of my five oldest grandchildren are casein intolerant. They all used to have absolutely horrible eczema. Especially the oldest used to be covered from head to toe in ugly, scaly eczema as a baby and toddler.

When her mother stopped giving her dairy, her eczema cleared up, and now she has the most beautiful, clear skin.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not African American, but I do get terrible eczema from my food allergies. I've been tested allergic to many things and I have no eczema problems as long as I avoid those things. I eat even a small amount and it flares up. The itch is incredible. There's no other way to describe it. I've scratch myself until I dripped blood because the pain felt better than the itch. It's debilitating. Tar ointment helps a little. Cortizone steroids don't work after awahile. Basically just staying clean and moisturized is the only thing to help flare ups. Putting ice on the burning and itching can numb it at times.

allergy to wheat/oats, milk, eggs, corn, yeast, tree nuts, turkey, seeds, mold, dust, dander, pollens, soy and other legumes

Son: allergy to milk, avoiding nuts, eggs, fish

I've had asthma almost my entire life, and it improved a lot after going gluten-free (even though I was too weak to work out much and got totally out of shape). Could definitely be Celiac related.

Enterolab results: 14 October 2006

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0501

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5)

(Yay!)

gluten-free since May 2005

Currently soy and dairy free !

"You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound"

--Psalm 4:7