This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Symptoms

Chris E

Chris E Rookie

Hi all! As some of you are probably aware i had numerous weird symptoms between July-November. I started with constant tiredness and Diahrrea and lost approx 2.5 stones. When the D cleared up i passed bulky stools since with some periods of D and Symptoms which continued to bother me include constant headaches, dizziness, brain foginess and tingling down the back of both of my legs. I also experienced pains in my joints and bones of my wrists and fingers. weird eh?

I have seen a GI who performed a colonoscopy and endoscopy and found nothing, but he carried out a white cell scan of the intestines and said that the scan highlighted an area of imflammation in the small intestine. I then had a barium follow through to look at this and the GI came to the coclusion that it was all ok. Would a barium follow through highlight celiac? Also does celiac show inflammation of the small intestine?

I was also referred to a neurologist who performed an MRI scan of my Brain and Spine and he said that he could not find anything to explain such symptoms. Since November these syptoms began to disappear although i developed shingles earlier this month (could this br related) and hav had loose stools everyday.

However, for the last 5 days i had had headaches occuring daily and i am beginning to experiece pain in my bones and back again, as well as constant tiredness. My concentration has also started to take a turn for the worse again. I am really fed up of doctors who keep saying it is all in the mind (I know it's not). I am really worried and i don't want symptoms to develop how they were back in the summer. GRRRRR!!!!!

Sorry to go on, but i am really really fed up! Anyone got any ideas??? PLEASE

Chris

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chocolatelover Contributor

Chris, have you tried going off gluten to see if your symptoms resolve themselves? There are so many symptoms of celiac that are not GI-related--such as the ones you mention. What about bloodwork? You mention the tests, but no bloodwork (though I'm new to the boards, so perhaps you had some done last year). Have you had any done recently?

Sorry, I don't know the answers to your medical questions...I don't know if inflammation of the small intestine means anything. From everything I've read it seems like it is the flattening of the villi that diagnoses celiac, not inflammation.

All I can tell you is to hang in there--there are many peoplel on this board who seem very concerned, knowledgable and very supportive. I'm sure people will have some thought-provoking ideas if nothing else.

Ursa Major Collaborator

The inflammation of the intestine means a great deal. The villi will get flattened if inflammation has gone on for too long. An inflamed intestine without flattening could be the early stage of celiac disease.

Did you have the bloodwork done?

I think at this point you would do well to just try the gluten-free diet. The doctors have been messing with you long enough.

jerseyangel Proficient

At my endo, the doctor actually saw inflammation in my intestine with the camera. He took samples to biopsy, but told me to begin the diet that day.

Wow--you learn something new every day on this board! I had no idea that the inflammation meant trouble. It's good to know since I'm going in this week for my endoscopy. Thanks!

tarnalberry Community Regular

It's hard to tell from your post - did they do a biopsy while they were in there? Did they do blood work? You can always try the diet without any prescription and see how it helps you (or not).

Chris E Rookie

I've had negative bloodwork and when i had the endoscopy no biopsy was taken. My GI wasn't even going to do an endoscopy but i kind of persuaded him to. Bit of a waste of time really eh?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Did they find anything on your endoscopy?

Archived