Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jesscarmel

Is It Possible To Absorb Meds Differently When Starting Diet?

Hi

In my quest to understand my migraine associate dizzines/vertigo that have only begun when i started the gluten-free diet i am wondering if it is possible that as i began to absorb food i also began to absorb my birth control pill differently. i take apri, a side effect is migraines. maybe before the diet i was absorbing the pills in a way that did not cause the side efftects. is this at all possible? i may be just trying really hard to blame something that will be easy to fix for this dizziness :)

thanks for any input

Jess

Diagnosed in March 2006 after being in the hospital due to pancreatitis due to undiagnosed celiac

years of being told i had IBS, taking numerous IBS medications (since the age of fifteen)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You have a good point. I started feeling drugged all day long from my Klonopin after being on the diet for 7 months. I was only on .5 mg, so it wasn't the dosage. I actually called the pharmacist and had them call the manufacturer to make sure they had given me the right dosage ... I had no idea this could happen ... Marcia

Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

2004 - Digestive pain all the time.

May 2004 - Hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, gastroparesis (endoscopy)

August 2004 - Colon polyps, diverticulitus, internal hemorrhoids (colonoscopy)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...

July 2005 - GP recommended WFDFSFEFCF + vegan (Also, anything that hurts free)

Immediately stopped needing naps and digestive pain reduced.

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

August 2006 - MYOCLONUS GONE. (off Klonopin)

September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

June 19, 2007 - Positive DQ2, Dx Celiac

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

Nov 2007 - Started Paleo diet for chronic hypoglycemia

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.

You have a good point. I started feeling drugged all day long from my Klonopin after being on the diet for 7 months. I was only on .5 mg, so it wasn't the dosage. I actually called the pharmacist and had them call the manufacturer to make sure they had given me the right dosage ... I had no idea this could happen ... Marcia

hi marcia

whats weird with me though is that this started very soon after the diet, like a few weeks! could i start absorbing food that quickl? it has gotten much worse though whihc i guess could prove the theory that i heal more, i absorb more?!

Diagnosed in March 2006 after being in the hospital due to pancreatitis due to undiagnosed celiac

years of being told i had IBS, taking numerous IBS medications (since the age of fifteen)

You look much younger than me, :lol: , I am 51, so you would heal a lot faster ...

Have you verified that your pills don't have gluten in them ? OR you may have problems with the binder in the pills too ...

Just some other ideas ... marcia

Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.

Apri is gluten-free, and yes, it's possible that you're absorbing more of the meds so getting more of the side-effects. It's certainly worth trying a different brand. And now that you mention it, I've been getting odd headaches behind my eyes ever since I started taking Apri again...

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

I would certainly expect that there could be absorption issues until the gut has healed. But it's really hard to say until healing has occured what the 'end state' will be. :( Good luck.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Jess,

I may have been feeling the side effects of this drug sooner than 7 months after getting the gluten out of my diet. But since I have been sick for 16 years and sleepy or dopey feeling most of the time, I would have chalked it up to my CFIDS. :blink::angry:

The only reason it caught my attention this time was because I was so drugged I couldn't hold my head up ... Reducing the Klonopin stopped that immediately. <_<

You can always try getting off the pill and see if it helps ...

Marcia

As the small intestine heals, it will become better at absorbing everything - food or meds. My daughter had her thyroid meds lowered about 3 months after going gluten free. It was recommended by both her endocrinologist and gastro doc to have blood taken 3 months after starting the gluten free diet for that very reason.

So it most definitely affects how meds are absorbed and how they work in our body.

Sandy

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06