This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chicken Strips

Confused in Iowa

Confused in Iowa Rookie

One of the foods my 11 year old son misses is chicken strips. Thought maybe I'd try to make something such as this for our little informal Super Bowl party - GO BEARS - Any ideas on what I could use for a batter to fry these up for him????? Would like to do something fried in the deep fat fryer for him rather than bake it.

Thanks so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

killernj13 Enthusiast

Kinnininck(sp) makes a chicken coating which is good. I found it in Shop RIte in the organic section.

Also, Welshire Farms makes gluten-free chicken nugggets. You can get them in Wegmans or Whole Foods.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

If you like to do a batter - I would use rice flour instead of wheat flour as a replacement for your recipe.

NOW...if you like a crunchy/non-batter coating you can crush up gluten-free Cornflkes, gluten-free Rice Crispies or Potatoe Chips. THEN...dip them in milk, egg or oil and then dip in the crushed up stuff. Fry or bake.

Also, Welshire Farms (I think their website is www.welshirefoods.com - not positive though) makes Nuggets, strips etc that are gluten free. They taste great, too.

Guest cassidy

Gillian's bread crumbs are great. I have had the plain and the spiced ones and I like both of them. I just coat the chicken in these and pan fry them.

Also, if you can find Bell & Evan's gluten-free nuggets and tenders they are very, very good. Whole Foods has them but I haven't seem them anywhere else.

dionnek Enthusiast

I second the Bell and Evans gluten-free chicken nuggets - they are the best (much better than the other brand in my opinion) :) Make sure you get the gluten-free ones though - I think they make both kinds.

If you want to make your own, I just dip the chicken chunks/strips in dijon mustard (or something else if you prefer) and roll in crushed gluten-free cornflakes with garlic powder. I've also used crushed gluten-free crackers (the glutino ones) or even the crumbs from rice cakes (those things are so darn crumbly so I just save the crumbs for this purpose) but the cornflakes are the best.

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

That was one thing my older son was really upset about... losing his chicken nuggets.

We've tried the Bell & Evans chicken strips, and I absolutely LOVE them. He likes them.

We've tried the Wellshire Kids (Dino) Chicken, and while I thought they were "so-so" - he absolutely loved them.

Ian's Chicken is also pretty darn tasty!! Though, they look more like "popcorn" chicken, not so much like strips or nuggets.

mrg8610 Rookie

I agree that the Bell and Evans chicken nuggets are wonderful. However, my daughter really misses the chicken fingers like you get at a Chinese restaurant. I've heard people refer to that type of batter as a hard batter. Has anyone ever had any success making chicken fingers with that type of batter/breading?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sillyyakdidi Apprentice
One of the foods my 11 year old son misses is chicken strips. Thought maybe I'd try to make something such as this for our little informal Super Bowl party - GO BEARS - Any ideas on what I could use for a batter to fry these up for him????? Would like to do something fried in the deep fat fryer for him rather than bake it.

Thanks so much!

i use bobs red mill gluten-free all purpose flour, dip chicken in eggs, then the flour with pepper, salt, seasoning, then eggs then the flour, stick them in a pot of hot oil for a few minutes, and wallah, chicken strips!!

Archived