Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

darlindeb25

Ok--casein.....lactose

As I mentioned, I am finding that ice cream is causing a reaction with me. I cough and cough and it seems like it creates so much phlegm for me--this is something new to me. I can eat cottage cheese with no problem and cheese doesnt seem to bother me. I also drink my coffee with lots of milk added and that seems fine.

Can someone explain all this to me and others?

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Casein is the protein in milk. Lactose is the sugar in milk. People with casein intolerances can't have any milk products but people with lactose intolerance can take something (lactaid?) to help manage their symptoms.

Some products have less lactose than others so people with lactose intolerance will find some milk products to be ok. Since I'm casein intolerant, I don't know which ones are better than others. It would seem to me if you can have milk with no problem that maybe it is something in the ice cream besides the milk causing your problem.

Karen

gluten free 4/06

casein free 7/06

DQ1, DQ8

Daughter (11) gluten free 5/06, casein free 6/06

Daughter (9) gluten free 3/06, casein free 7/06, soy free, trying peanut free

vegetarian

gluten lite on and off since 1999

All dx'ed by Enterolab

agreed, if lots of milk in your coffee isn't giving you fits then I doubt either casein or lactose is your problem. Also, the symptoms classically are much more related to digestive problems (pain, bloating, the d) than anything in your throat or lungs. I would look into other ingredients.

Diagnosed through Enterolab (9.27.06)

Antigliadin IgA 164 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 75 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fat Score 874 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA antibody 73 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5)

agreed, if lots of milk in your coffee isn't giving you fits then I doubt either casein or lactose is your problem. Also, the symptoms classically are much more related to digestive problems (pain, bloating, the d) than anything in your throat or lungs. I would look into other ingredients.

I get horrible congestion from casein. There can be many differences between the ice cream and the milk in the coffee (different fat content, organic vs. conventional, different processing methods etc. etc.) that could cause reactions to vary as well.

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

I get horrible congestion from casein. There can be many differences between the ice cream and the milk in the coffee (different fat content, organic vs. conventional, different processing methods etc. etc.) that could cause reactions to vary as well.

yep. but we're dealing in likelihoods here.

Diagnosed through Enterolab (9.27.06)

Antigliadin IgA 164 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 75 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fat Score 874 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA antibody 73 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5)

I used to get a sore throat from some icecreams because they had a yellow colour called annatto (a natural colour) to which I am allergic....

I avoid all dairy now except for some goat cheese which i have tried. Cow casein is not good for humans, read dogtorj's pages. http://dogtorj.Lame Advertisement/

I might try goat ice cream when that gets on the market......

nora

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.

daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.

non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5

Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet

Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)

I have selectively had problems with various dairy items. Ice cream has been a no-no my whole life. I think perhaps it's a combination of high fat and high sugar, in addition to the dairy. Moderate cheese doesn't seem problematic at all, although a LOT of cheese can upset me. What I finally decided was that I need to limit my dairy consumption to no more than about one small amount of whatever per day....right now, my indulgence is a cappuccino with about 1/4 c. of foamed milk in it. When I was eating the cappuccino, plus a yogurt, plus cottage cheese, and then maybe a small bit of ice cream later in the day...BIG problems. When I was eating gluten, I think the gluten and dairy together definitely made things worse. When I stopped eating gluten, my tolerance to a small bit of dairy went up. I may be lactose intolerant....but I also tested positive for casein sensitivity, so I probably should not eat dairy at all. Nevertheless, I've seen that without gluten, I can definitely tolerate small amounts of dairy. Last night I had a small kid's scoop of Baskin Robbins cherry ice cream (after having no other dairy that day) and it didn't bother me. Some days I have NO dairy at all.

I guess this rambling account is suggesting to severely limit dairy in frequency and amount, that might possibly work for you. :P

As I mentioned, I am finding that ice cream is causing a reaction with me. I cough and cough and it seems like it creates so much phlegm for me--this is something new to me. I can eat cottage cheese with no problem and cheese doesnt seem to bother me. I also drink my coffee with lots of milk added and that seems fine.

Can someone explain all this to me and others?

CAROLE

-------------

Enterolab 1/2006

IgA & tTg Positive

DQ2-0201 (celiac) and DQ1-0604 (gluten)

Casein IgA positive

Mom has 2 celiac genes

Both kids have a celiac gene.

Lots of celiac disease in my family, both sides.

Thank you everyone. There is no doubt in my mind that it has something to do with the ice cream. It happens everytime I eat it, so I have decided to not eat it anymore. It may be the fat content, more than likely, it's the milk and sugar together. Ice cream is the only true sugar I eat, other than natural sugars in fruits and such. I never use sugar. Tonight, I tried ice cream again. I was very engrossed in a movie on tv and realized I was coughing, again.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

Thank you everyone. There is no doubt in my mind that it has something to do with the ice cream. It happens everytime I eat it, so I have decided to not eat it anymore. It may be the fat content, more than likely, it's the milk and sugar together. Ice cream is the only true sugar I eat, other than natural sugars in fruits and such. I never use sugar. Tonight, I tried ice cream again. I was very engrossed in a movie on tv and realized I was coughing, again.

Just a thought...does the coughing happen when you are actually eating the ice cream? Could the coldness of it be triggering the cough?

Michelle

Could the coldness of it be triggering the cough? I really do not think so. This is something that I have just noticed happening in the last few weeks and it's more like an allergic reaction. Scents do this to me sometimes too, especially orange scented room deodorizors or cleaners. I can actually feel my lungs freezing up, my breath becomes labored. Some candles, especially the multi scented ones will cause me to cough, then my nose will run continually and my eyes water. I know this is an allergic reaction to something in the ice cream, just not sure what yet.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6