Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chocolatelover

Does This Mean Anything?

I just received the pathology report from my endoscopy and noticed a couple of things. They only biopsied the duodenum, and there were only 2 samples "totally submitted in one cassette". Does anyone know what this means? I'm thinking that they only took 2 samples from one area of the small intestine...my impression was that they were supposed to take 6 or 8 samples from several different areas since this disease can be so patchy. :angry:

Also, there was no mention of my multiple hemorroids, and no mention at all of the serious reaction I had afterwards (vomiting, loss of consciousness, heart rate plummeted...they had to take me back into the clinic in a wheelchair). :blink:

And on top of that, today I went in to get a copy of the pathology report and not only did I get just 1/2 of what I had asked for, but they also gave me someone else's colonoscopy report! I'm pretty sure I could get them in a lot of trouble since this is a direct violation of the HIPPA laws. It has her name, birthdate and social on it. :unsure:

Sorry to vent...If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would appreciate hearing them!

Dx'd with lymphocytic colitis 1/07

Dx'd by Enterolab 3/07--+IgA, +Ttg, DQ2 and DQ8

Dx'd celiac by Dr. Lewey 4/07--without +blood or biopsy

gluten-free 3/7/07

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

My GI didn't take enough biopsies either, when I told him I felt better off gluten, he said I could go back on it for six weeks and do another blood test!! :blink: I stopped eating it the day of my endoscopy.

I fired him. Maybe you should get them in trouble ... or call the lady whose report you got, I'm sure SHE'LL report them!!!! I'd bet she'd be even more angry than you!

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

I just received the pathology report from my endoscopy and noticed a couple of things. They only biopsied the duodenum, and there were only 2 samples "totally submitted in one cassette". Does anyone know what this means? I'm thinking that they only took 2 samples from one area of the small intestine...my impression was that they were supposed to take 6 or 8 samples from several different areas since this disease can be so patchy. :angry:

Yes, they should have taken "multiple samples from multiple sites"...not just two samples. When I had an endoscopy to check for other problems, as well as persisting Celiac damage, my GI took 10 biopsies in my small intestine. Now, two biopsies is better than one, of course, but you are right---since Celiac is so patchy, it increases (but does not ensure) the chances of having a biopsy that catches damage, if there is any.

Did you express this clearly to your GI before your procedure? Often, they don't take the correct samples, and even if you request it, they still don't :(

Also, there was no mention of my multiple hemorroids, and no mention at all of the serious reaction I had afterwards (vomiting, loss of consciousness, heart rate plummeted...they had to take me back into the clinic in a wheelchair). :blink:

Ah, well they don't mention that... but its a common side effect if you had the amnesiac mix (read horse tranquiliser) along with hallucinations and severe panick...

Either way you should do something or your insurance company will not be willing to pay for another... I'd get tough and get a report

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

Let's see...I remember having a very detailed conversation with him before the procedure about what he thought was wrong with me and he specifically said, "I think you have celiac". Then afterwards (I don't remember much) he told my husband that the small intestine looked fine, but he did a biopsy anyway. I do remember asking him if he took multiple ones from multiple sites, and he said yes. Oh well...I think he doesn't know what he's doing, so it's time to find someone else. Clearly his office doesn't know what they're doing either! :lol:

BTW, I did end up getting the pathology reports from both my endoscopy and my colonoscopy. I've had so many screew ups with the doctors here that I've started keeping my own records. They don't like it much, but I figure it's the easiest way to get a new doctor.

Dx'd with lymphocytic colitis 1/07

Dx'd by Enterolab 3/07--+IgA, +Ttg, DQ2 and DQ8

Dx'd celiac by Dr. Lewey 4/07--without +blood or biopsy

gluten-free 3/7/07