Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JerryK

Howdy From The Sea Of Cortez

Yes it's true, I'm logging in from this cruise ship to see if my dna tests are back, and they are!

Looks like I'm NOT Celiac, but I do have two genes for Gluten Sensitivity. Not a huge surprise since a whole lot of people have them. Here's what Dr. Fine has to say. If any of you experts want to add anything to his analysis, please feel free. Meanwhile I'll go on avoiding the cake, thank you very much :blink: For not being a Celiac, gluten-free has surely cleared up my gastro symptoms, in fact, it feels like

I'm hardly going at all.......

Anyway, if anyone knows what the below really means....fill me in.

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0301

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0501

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 7,5)

Interpretation Of HLA-DQ Testing: Although you do not possess the main genes predisposing to celiac sprue (HLA-DQ2 or HLA-DQ8), HLA gene analysis reveals that you have two copies of a gene that predisposes to gluten sensitivity (DQ1 or DQ3 not subtype 8). Having two copies of a gluten sensitive gene, means that each of your parents, and all of your children (if you have them) will possess at least one copy of the gene. Two copies also means there is an even stronger predisposition to gluten sensitivity than having one gene and the resultant immunologic gluten sensitivity may be more severe.

Take Care, j

Dental Enamel Defects

Gastro symptoms

Positive Dietary Response

Enterolab Antigliadin IgA positive 12/06

Transglutaminase IgA Positive

Blood TG IgA Negative 2/07

HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 7,5)

Gluten Intolerant...Likely non Celiac

Western Oregon (Or-ee-gun) US

Why Worry?...YOU are a sentient being on a habitable world in a cosmos largely filled with nothing.

You

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

HI JERRY ON THE HIGH SEAS..

I GOT MINE TOO AND STILL LOOKING IT OVER WILL POST AFTER TALKING TO THE LAB TOMORROW BUT UNTIL THEN FOLKS HERE ARE HELPING ME DESIFER IT ALL

HAVE A GREAT TIME..HEAR THE gluten-free FOOD IS GREAT ON A SHIP.

JUDY

Judy in Southern CA

I don't have anything to add that you don't already know.

Maybe someday we'll know more about the gluten intolerant genes vs the known celiac genes.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

Well, be glad you don't have the added worry of celiac, BUT...here's the key phrase in Dr. Fine's comment:

"Two copies also means there is an even stronger predisposition to gluten sensitivity than having one gene and the resultant immunologic gluten sensitivity may be more severe."

And here's another comment fromDr. Fine which you may not yet have seen:

Although the immune reaction to gluten, i.e., gluten sensitivity, is the cause of the villous atrophy of celiac sprue, having these antibodies in stool, or even malabsorption, does not necessarily mean you will have detectable villous atrophy in an intestinal biopsy. But why does it matter, since it is known that a person can have every last complication from gluten sensitivity and never have villous atrophy? In other words, one can have gluten sensitivity damaging the intestine on a sub-microscopic level destroying function, or damaging other organs/tissues without having celiac sprue. Thus, there is no reason to expose yourself to the risks, invasive nature, and expense of an intestinal biopsy. This idea is not new. Some have said this for years with respect to positive antiendomysial antibodies. Now we extend this ideology to our stool testing; if you have the immune reaction, and especially if you have detectable malabsorption, symptoms, and/or immune disease, what is there to wait for to go gluten-free? And if you have none of these consequences, why wait for them to appear? Be thankful you do not, and go gluten-free.

________

Yes it's true, I'm logging in from this cruise ship to see if my dna tests are back, and they are!

Looks like I'm NOT Celiac, but I do have two genes for Gluten Sensitivity. Not a huge surprise since a whole lot of people have them. Here's what Dr. Fine has to say. If any of you experts want to add anything to his analysis, please feel free. Meanwhile I'll go on avoiding the cake, thank you very much :blink: For not being a Celiac, gluten-free has surely cleared up my gastro symptoms, in fact, it feels like

I'm hardly going at all.......

Anyway, if anyone knows what the below really means....fill me in.

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0301

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0501

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 7,5)

Interpretation Of HLA-DQ Testing: Although you do not possess the main genes predisposing to celiac sprue (HLA-DQ2 or HLA-DQ8), HLA gene analysis reveals that you have two copies of a gene that predisposes to gluten sensitivity (DQ1 or DQ3 not subtype 8). Having two copies of a gluten sensitive gene, means that each of your parents, and all of your children (if you have them) will possess at least one copy of the gene. Two copies also means there is an even stronger predisposition to gluten sensitivity than having one gene and the resultant immunologic gluten sensitivity may be more severe.

Take Care, j

CAROLE

-------------

Enterolab 1/2006

IgA & tTg Positive

DQ2-0201 (celiac) and DQ1-0604 (gluten)

Casein IgA positive

Mom has 2 celiac genes

Both kids have a celiac gene.

Lots of celiac disease in my family, both sides.

If we don't have celiac genes, we still have gluten sensitive genes because the ONLY gene combination that is NOT gluten sensitive is DQ4 found in Asians.

I am the same as you, though. I feel much better gluten-free. I tend to think most people would.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

Like you, I have two gluten sensitivity genes. No celiac. I also showed no malabsorbtion issues. My conclusion was that I'm very fortunate indeed. Even though I have an autoimmune response to gluten, it must not be causing any villi atrophe (my own conclusion since untreated gluten intolerance for over 40 years has not resulted in detectible malabsorbtion). However, I still get sick when eating gluten. And, believe me, after having been symptom-free for a couple months now, I am not willing to go back to where I was before. No way! I like it like this :)

Valda

Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance

other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca

Hypoglycemic

Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)

Living a healthier, happier life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10