Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sknisley22

What About Breathing Flour In?

I was diagnosed late last year so I'm still in the learning process. Basically everything I know is from reading books or forums. I don't have anyone around here to teach me and help me, so, if this question sounds ignorant, it's just because I still don't know a lot.

Anyway, I just recently started a new job. I work in an office at a plastics manufacturing facility. The office is in the middle of the factory, and I walk around on the floor a lot. Ever since I started working there, I have been extremely tired and some of my old symptoms have come back. I figured it was just because I was in an adjusting period from moving to a new location and starting a new job. I found out last week that they dust the rolls that the plastic goes on with a powdery substance. This is so the plastic won't stick to the rolls as they spin around. The rolls spin very fast so the powder is flung into the air, and it basically stays there so everyone is breathing it in (I know it gets in my office because every morning when I go in, I have to wipe the desk down because there is a light layer of the dust). When I asked, one person told me the powder was just corn starch, but another person told me it was a mixture of corn starch or baking soda and flour. I would say the corn starch probably makes more sense, but I'm just wondering before I go digging for more information, (assuming it is flour) would breathing it in even be a big deal? I wouldn't say I'm really ingesting it, unless maybe some gets in my mouth from breathing through my mouth? I'm not trying to be particular or ridiculous, but I was so sick for so long, I just don't want to go back there.

Any knowledge in this area would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Stephanie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Flour can be inhaled through you nose and end up in the mucus and thus swallowed. The corn starch would not be an issue, but yes, the flour could. Perhaps you need to pinpoint the dust, or when you walk the flood, wear a mask.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Last year I baked a cake for my husband for valentine's day, thinking that it might be okay. I didn't eat any or taste the batter, I was very careful. But I was sick for three days afterwards. The only possibility for getting glutened that time was because I was breathing in flour particles.

If inhaling a tiny bit of flour from baking one cake makes me so sick, being exposed to flour dust in the air for eight hours a day, five days a week would be catastrophic.

I am afraid the only real solution would be to find another workplace, otherwise you will never be well. I know, it is drastic, and not a nice solution. But it may be the only workable one.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I have gotten sick from either someone in the family baking or going into a grocery store that was in the process of baking something (like dusting the tables or whatever). And I get sick during harvest season from breathing the dust in the air outside.

~ Lisa ~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...

...26 years old...

...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

I dont bake with wheat flour anymore, any gluten comes in the house already made (for hubby).

Kathryn got very sick from playing in an empty grain bin with her cousins, at her Uncle's farm.

She has also gotten sick from working with paper mache.

I have heard of drywallers (with celiac) needing to wear heavy duty masks (more than just the surgical) - or they get sick. Drywall has wheat in it.

Sandy

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

I have been thinking that I'm getting gluten some how from my son who works at a pizza place. He usually goes straight down to the basement. I do let him wash his own clothes. I guess I need him to take a shower as soon as he comes home. I have been so careful with what I'm eating, but know I'm still getting glutened somehow.

I dont bake with wheat flour anymore, any gluten comes in the house already made (for hubby).

Kathryn got very sick from playing in an empty grain bin with her cousins, at her Uncle's farm.

She has also gotten sick from working with paper mache.

I have heard of drywallers (with celiac) needing to wear heavy duty masks (more than just the surgical) - or they get sick. Drywall has wheat in it.

Sandy

Drywall has wheat in it! Well no wonder. I'm still learning - so a glutening to me so far is just a weird feeling and some bloating. My husband is in the process of finishing out basement (to give me a place to work out so I can stay healthy!) - we have drywall dust everywhere. I've been trying to figure out for 2 weeks what is making me bloat off and on...

He started mudding today - so hopefully he can get this all wrapped up soon then!

Tritty (my childhood nickname....)

Age 31, Mommy of 3

Blood test positive for celiac 1/16/07

gluten-free since 1/16/07

Endoscopy 2/13/07 - small hiatal hernia, scalloped mucosa in 1st and 2nd part of duodenum, some erosion of the esophogus.

Two oldest kids - fine so far :)

My 17 mo old has eosinophilic esophogitis. Only showing milk allergy? So completely off dairy for time being to see if that is trigger...

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Janelle Morman
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Who's Online (See full list)