Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DrMom

Tb And Celiac Disease

Celiac Disease May Increase the Risk of TB

By David Douglas

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) Jan 08 - People with celiac disease (celiac disease) appear to be at heightened risk of contracting tuberculosis, perhaps because of malabsorption of vitamin D, Swedish researchers report in the January issue of Thorax.

"Considering that we found a 2.5-fold increased risk of celiac disease in individuals with prior tuberculosis," lead investigator Dr. Jonas F. Ludvigsson told Reuters Health, "this suggests that celiac disease is a fairly common disease in individuals with TB." The converse also appears to be true.

Dr. Ludvigsson of Orebro University Hospital and colleagues investigated this possible connection by examining the risk of TB in more than 4000 patients with celiac disease compared to that in over 69,000 matched individuals in a general population-based cohort study.

Celiac disease was associated with about a 3-to-4 times greater risk of subsequent TB. Results were similar when the population was stratified by sex and by age at celiac disease diagnosis.

The association "may be due to malabsorption and lack of vitamin D in persons with celiac disease," and celiac disease could affect the action of TB medication, the researchers conclude.

In remarks to Reuters Health, Dr. David S. Sanders, co-author of an accompanying editorial, pointed out that the number of cases involved was "relatively small." In fact, only 24 patients with celiac disease contracted TB.

However, Dr. Sanders, of Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, UK added that "if a relationship between celiac disease and TB is confirmed in further studies, then clinicians should consider serologically testing for celiac disease in those patients with TB who have gastrointestinal symptoms or apparent drug resistance."

Thorax 2007;62:1-2,23-28.

Dx celiac sprue 06-06-06

Prometheus Labs in California, blood work

AGA IgG=negative AGA IgA=negative

TTG IgA=positive EMA IgA=positive

Endoscopy shows moderate to severe villa blunting

severe asthma, COPD

right Bundle Branch Block (heart conduction)

short PR interval (heart)

Arnold Chiari Malformation

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Fibromyalgia, Myofascial pain syndrome

GERD

Osteoporosis, osteoarthritis

Severe claustrophobia

Gallbladder removed

When someone you love becomes a memory,

that memory becomes a treasure.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I gave this article to my GP. Because TB is definately on the upswing, he wants me tested in the next couple of weeks and once a year thereafter. I had another appt. after him and was unable to do it then. I did not think of myself when I gave him the article and I got caught in a web as I feed him Celiac information that I think he needs to know.

Also Celiacs' should have their thyroid palpatated in their yearly exam as we are more prone to a certain type of thyroid cancer ( forgot what it is called). I had a MRI that showed 3 somethings on my thyroid. Had an ultrasound and now am scheduled for the second ultrasound in April. My GP is not taking this lightly. I am not concerned as they could not have been there that long. If they have not changed, then I suppose he will schedule the next ultrasound later then this one.

We all just need to stay on our toes and have a doctor that keeps track of our health.

"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004

Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat

Morphia Scleroderma

Osteoarthritis

Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid

Essential Tremors

Asthma

Migraines

Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis

PAD Peripheral Artery Disease

Angina and Atrial Fibrillation

Gluten Ataxia

Vitiligo

Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.

Ocular Myastenia Gravis

I'm just thinking out loud here... Isn't it possible that this correlation is due to the way that Celiac often occurs? Isn't Celiac often triggered by something else whether it be a physical sickness like TB or an emotional stress or physical stress. The way this statement is worded "Considering that we found a 2.5-fold increased risk of celiac disease in individuals with prior tuberculosis" makes me think that they were testing prior TB patients and found an increase of Celiac, not testing Celiac patients and found an increase in TB. Does that make sense?

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

This is a little off the main topic, but I noticed your signature says "Peripheral Neuropathy in both feet". Could you tell me more about it? I used to get this off and on, not very frequently. In the past month it has been a daily thing. The bottom of my feet hurt as if I were standing in snow and freezing them. They are not cold to touch. Then from the ankle up to the knee on the front of my leg, I have pins and needles feelings. This is in both legs. I have read lots about diabetic periperal neuropathy, and have NOT been checked for diabetes. Sound familiar?

Thanks for a reply.

Dx celiac sprue 06-06-06

Prometheus Labs in California, blood work

AGA IgG=negative AGA IgA=negative

TTG IgA=positive EMA IgA=positive

Endoscopy shows moderate to severe villa blunting

severe asthma, COPD

right Bundle Branch Block (heart conduction)

short PR interval (heart)

Arnold Chiari Malformation

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Fibromyalgia, Myofascial pain syndrome

GERD

Osteoporosis, osteoarthritis

Severe claustrophobia

Gallbladder removed

When someone you love becomes a memory,

that memory becomes a treasure.

Oddly enough in 1990 waaaaaaaaaaay before being diagnosed I was treated for TB when I lived in Belgium. At that time there they gave school children mandatory TB testing and I reacted positive to the skin tests but the chest xrays were negative. However, to this day my mom swears I was never TB pos. because we had just moved there from the USA where at the time TB was still thought to be no longer a problem. Regardless, they treated me with drugs for about a year to make sure I wasn't infected. Interesting. Thanks for the article.

Amy

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007

Finally feeling better than ever!

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Janelle Morman
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics