This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Did I Eat Wrong?

momof4insc

momof4insc Newbie

Here is what i had today, before i got sick....

Eggs with Cheese

Diet Mt. Dew

Took my Metformin prescription

Lunch

Hard boiled egg

tostitos with salsa and sour cream

Mandarian oranges

What part of that was bad??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest BornToRide

Eggs with Cheese

Diet Mt. Dew

Lunch

Hard boiled egg

Mandarian oranges

maybe the tostitos?
JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I say check the salsa and review everything from the day BEFORE, mine always takes a while before I know I'm glutened.

Lisa Mentor

How long have you been gluten free? In the early stages it is best to be dairy feel as well. I have been gluten free for a year and a half and now learning that dairy is an issue.

Dairy is difficult to absorb in the early stages of going gluen free.

Not familiar with you scrib, but is is gluten free and perhaps dairy.

flowergirl Rookie

I had some egg for breakfast for the first time in months. (Yes, I know I shouldn't! but I wanted to have a nice normal restaurant breakfast with my partner. :( ) I had horrible D about 30 min later. If I were you I'd eliminate all those from your diet for a few weeks, then re-introduce one at a time and write down your responses.

Best wishes

NoGluGirl Contributor

Eggs with Cheese

Diet Mt. Dew

Lunch

Hard boiled egg

Mandarian oranges

Dear momof4insc,

It could have been the dairy, or your medicine. Some people have reported Tostitos making them sick. Cross contamination can be an issue, some members have said. I ate some and now I hurt, but I had my gallbladder out, so anything fried is bad. I pigged out, and now all that fat is hurting me. As long as I eat a little I am fine, but I have overdone it. :(

Dairy is a common problem for many people. I am going off of it to see if I feel better. I was doing a lot better the first two months. I have been glutened like once a week lately because of my careless parents. It is like the seriousness of this does not concern them at all.

To check your med, call your pharmacy. Have the pharmacist look it up. If they do not know, look on the Internet. You should be able to find out. If you still cannot find anything on it, calling the manufacturer's number Monday is your best bet.

The other possibility is you are getting cross contaminated accidentally from your own house.

Make sure you have pans that were not used for gluten loaded foods in the past. The scratches can hide gluten and make you sick when you cook with them. Utensils are another problem. Get new ones.

The dishwasher usually corrects this, but it is not worth risking when you are as sensitive as me.

Your cosmetics and shampoos, etc. are another possible source of danger. Many times, we forget these things. If you like, I would be more than happy to send you a list of safe soaps, detergents, and household items and beauty aids that we are allowed to use. This is daunting. It is impossible not to forget about something.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Guhlia Rising Star

Eggs with Cheese

Diet Mt. Dew

Lunch

Hard boiled egg

Mandarian oranges

Here are my ideas... Is your prescription gluten free (some aren't)? Did anyone else dip anything else into the sour cream or salsa. Tostitos could be a very likely source of CC. Did anyone else eat them while eating a sandwich or pretzels? Plus, Tostitos, while being naturally gluten free, are not gauranteed to be gluten free (CC). Do you have gluten eaters in your house? Are there crumbs on your counters?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamabear Explorer

Always check the sour cream....too many manufacturers put in modified food starch(~ gluten here in the USA) in sour cream. It is nearly always in the little take out individual sour creams.

Lisa Mentor
Always check the sour cream....too many manufacturers put in modified food starch(~ gluten here in the USA) in sour cream. It is nearly always in the little take out individual sour creams.

In the US, when modified food starch is listed, by law they are required to list, if wheat is an ingredient.

It is infrequent that MFS would be derived by wheat, but yes the undeclared possibilities.

(A- :) )

mamabear Explorer
In the US, when modified food starch is listed, by law they are required to list, if wheat is an ingredient.

It is infrequent that MFS would be derived by wheat, but yes the undeclared possibilities.

(A- :) )

Ah, yes,my bad . :P There are the new federal laws, but some products are still on shelves that were pre-Jan1,2006. So please be aware of the potential for hidden wheat in MFS.

kari Apprentice
Ah, yes,my bad . :P There are the new federal laws, but some products are still on shelves that were pre-Jan1,2006. So please be aware of the potential for hidden wheat in MFS.

i should hope you're not eating sour cream that was on the shelves before jan 2006! if that's the case, i'd say any resulting sickness would be from the over a year old rotten sour cream, not from modified food starch! ;)

mamabear Explorer
i should hope you're not eating sour cream that was on the shelves before jan 2006! if that's the case, i'd say any resulting sickness would be from the over a year old rotten sour cream, not from modified food starch! ;)

HA!! Gave me a good chuckle! We do push the date expiration on a few products, but sour cream hasn't been one of them! We usually eat Daisy sour cream by the bucket from Costco!! :D

Archived