Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chatycady

Infertility And Celiac - Need Information

Can anyone here tell me if there is a relationship between unexplained infertility and celiac? My daughter has unexplained infertility, long cycles and it appears she starts the ovulation process but doesn't finish. Is there a link here? I haven't found much on this topic.

Thanks for any help and advice you can give. She has been to many Dr's. and none have suggested being tested for celiac.

Rheumatic fever at age 5 and again at age 6. Antibiotics for 6 years to prevent strep throat.

Anemia, Mono, Hepititis, Pernicious Anemia, Enlarged Heart, Osteopenia, Vitamin D deficiency, Ataxia, Digestive issues, reactive hypoglycemia, and on and on and on!

Following the SCD diet after gluten free didn't solve symptoms. Much better and getting back my life!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Infertility (in men as well) is a VERY common symptom of celiac disease. There are doctors that test routinely for celiac disease if somebody can't conceive (too few doctors understand about that, though).

Miscarriages are very common as well, I had eight of those (no problems conceiving, though). Unfortunately, with all the many symptoms of celiac disease I had, no doctor ever clued in.

So, I say your daughter would do well to ask to be tested for celiac disease. It is definitely a possibility that should be checked.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree that she should be tested. I've had two miscarriages and that is how I found out I had celiac. It's an easy test for her to have and could save them both a lot of time and money down the road.

Amy

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007

Finally feeling better than ever!

Yes there is a relationship. Celiac disease can have effects on many systems throughout the body. It is well-known that celiac disease can have an effect on the reproductive system- including things such as late menarche, irregular periods, infertility, miscarriage.

There are many reputable websites that list signs and symptoms of celiac disease. Unexplained infertility is often on the list.

See the UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO CELIAC DISEASE PROGRAM:

http://celiacdisease.net/Portals/1/Fact%20...se%20-%20SG.pdf

Suzie

Suzie

London, ON, Canada

celiac disease diagnosed by pos tTG March 2006 and pos biopsy June 2006

I've never been officially diagnosed (went on the diet before I thought to get tested) but I'll share my experience

I've had terrible periods since I could remember - and it was getting worse. I was having symptoms that would last 3 weeks out of the month. I had irregular and long cycles. Unexplained pain etc. I had scans and tests, all my reproductive organs and levels seemed fine.

Once I switched over to wheat/gluten and yeast free - I felt better and different.

I'm now 9 weeks pregnant :)

I don't know whether it's that FOR SURE, but I can tell you it made a big difference in my health. I was gluten free for about 9 months before I got pregnant.

Good luck to your daughter xx

It's definately worth investigating

wheat free & yeast free since may '06

also lactose intolerant

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    freedom.dtt
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics