Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sillyactsue

Kudos To A Good Doctor.

John Zubialde at O.U. Family medicine in Oklahoma City has diagnosed my 2 1/2 year old with gluten sensitivity. He was referred to me by someone from the celiac support group in Norman Okla. He is, as far as they know, the only doctor in all of Oklahoma who knows about gluten sensitivity.

Such a relief. He diagnosed her before the blood tests came in. He wanted to see her IGA score (count?). It was less then 40. When I told him that I also was gluten sensitive (undiagnosed) he said I should get my blood tested as well. He said with a low IGA if I ever needed a blood I could go into.....oh no, how do you spell aniphylactic shock? Well you know what I mean. He said it was something that should be on our medical records.

He was educated, informative AND has a good bed side manner. Upon hearing the gastroenterologist wigged out response to my daughter being condemned to a gluten free diet for life he smiled and said. A gluten free diet is not abuse.

When the receptionist found out we had driven four hours to see him she was shocked. I told her he was the only doc in oklahoma that will diagnose gluten sensitivity. She said," Maybe that is because he and his child have it." :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

So nice that you found a dr who took you seriously

When he was talking about the low IgA, was he referring to total serum IgA or the anti-gliadin IgA? I am curious b/c while my dr never ran my total serum IgA, I suspect that I may be deficient b/c only the IgG was postive with me. I went gluten-free before I had further testing without knowing any better. My son does have Celiac and I suspect that is my issue as well, though I will never know for sure. I have no issues staying gluten-free b/c I feel so much better. I guess I am asking b/c maybe that is something I should look into if it was the total IgA that he was referring to. Maybe see if they can check that to see if I am or not. Sorry if that is confusing! Thanks!

Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm

but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06

gluten-free since 1/12/06

Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)

Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006

gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)

HLA-DQ2 positive

Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times

Still eating gluten for now.

I think it was the total serum Iga. Ya, pretty sure it was. I am still learning so much about all of this and I tend to occasionally get the terminology mixed up. Sorry if I am confusing :unsure:

Hope this helps.