This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hurt My Knee :(

num1habsfan

num1habsfan Rising Star

Like I dont have enough problems right now, I just had to go and find a way to injure myself even more, and yet totally by accident once again. :( I was just leaving school and I went to the bathroom (since its a 20 minute or so walk to the house here) and when i stood up i hit my knee against the metal garbage thingy in the stall.

Instantly it felt like my kneecap was buggered up. By the time i got walking I was limping because I had to keep my leg straight. And when i came downstairs to my room here I barely even made it down.

Is it posibble it dislocated something?? How worried should I be?? I can barely bend my knee, if thats a good explanation of the pain. Soon I'll go have a jacuzzi bath here, that should help with some of the throbbing.

Like I need one more place to get bad arthritis, especially since my only form of transport is walking :(:(

~ Lisa ~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

no heat yet - ice. I'd give it at least a week until you worry. ice, anti-inflammatories, and try to avoid doing things that obviously make it hurt (or minimize them).

num1habsfan Rising Star
no heat yet - ice. I'd give it at least a week until you worry. ice, anti-inflammatories, and try to avoid doing things that obviously make it hurt (or minimize them).

Thanks. usually these jacuzzi tubs tho are good for soreness. One of the other ladies that lives here gets back spasms a lot and she says the hot bath really helps for her spasms, arthritis, and migraines. I'll be a block away from the hospital since i'm going home from tomorrow night til monday morning, so if anything i dont have to go far for help! someone's usually on call at ER. I can tell you its the right side (of my left knee) thats bruising and swelling on me. Blah. I hope during the middle of the night wheni go to bathroom i dont forget about it and go running up the stairs by mistake :blink:

~ Lisa ~

Nantzie Collaborator

I second what Tiffany said. Ice and anti-inflammatories. Ice sucks this time of year, but it would be the best thing for you.

Nancy

ReneCox Contributor

feel better soon!

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I hope you're feeling better!!!! Bum knees are never fun!!

num1habsfan Rising Star

Thanks guys!! Its still kinda swollen on me, basically been having it constantly wrapped up. i still cant really get my leg straight, and i cant bend it. I'm telling everyone I'm starting to feel like that dude in the game Operation :lol:

~ lisa ~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Lisa,

Somehow, I missed this :blink:

I'm sorry your knee is still swollen and all--has there been any improvement at all?

Gosh, as if you needed this!

Thanks. usually these jacuzzi tubs tho are good for soreness. One of the other ladies that lives here gets back spasms a lot and she says the hot bath really helps for her spasms, arthritis, and migraines.

heat is good for soreness *after* the initial inflammation has calmed down. if you heat it sooner, you can make the inflammation worse, which can cause additional damage with can take additional time to heal. ice to get the inflammation down first - for a few days, and heat for soreness after the primary inflammation is calmed down.

if it's still not bending any better, something may be dislocated or torn, and you might want to get it seen sooner rather than later.

num1habsfan Rising Star

I tried an ice pack again last night to sleep. Its still very swollen, from my knee down. I picked the worst weekend to hut myself...for the weekend the hospital's closed or whatever (no docs on call) because some of the docs are going to the other small towns around here to help them out. yet I only live a block away. I dunno what to do now....

~ Lisa ~

georgie Enthusiast

How do you feel now ? I did the same type of injury 3 weeks ago! I fell over a dog bed in middle of night SPLAT onto my kneecap on a slate concrete floor. Its been 3 weeks of limping and not getting better so I have an xray booked for this week. Don't delay getting an xray like I did - as they may want to brace your leg or something - now mine is a mess as it may have healed badly and be 'crooked' in there. My cousin had a similar injury late last year and the xrays showed nothing but when she had an MRI it showed a cracked patella - so I am really scared now.

I had surgery on this same knee in 1998 and it made the knee worse and its always been a bit delicate ever since. I find mine can't handle just ONE step onto a step ladder - so can't imagine what going up and down stairs would be like. 2 days ago I stood on the step ladder to wash a window and was much worse after that. I am using a stick to try and take weight off that leg and rest it a bit - but its hard to remember as sometimes its OK(ish) and then can get worse. And does yours ache at night in bed ? An ache in the bone part?

num1habsfan Rising Star
How do you feel now ? I did the same type of injury 3 weeks ago! I fell over a dog bed in middle of night SPLAT onto my kneecap on a slate concrete floor. Its been 3 weeks of limping and not getting better so I have an xray booked for this week. Don't delay getting an xray like I did - as they may want to brace your leg or something - now mine is a mess as it may have healed badly and be 'crooked' in there. My cousin had a similar injury late last year and the xrays showed nothing but when she had an MRI it showed a cracked patella - so I am really scared now.

I had surgery on this same knee in 1998 and it made the knee worse and its always been a bit delicate ever since. I find mine can't handle just ONE step onto a step ladder - so can't imagine what going up and down stairs would be like. 2 days ago I stood on the step ladder to wash a window and was much worse after that. I am using a stick to try and take weight off that leg and rest it a bit - but its hard to remember as sometimes its OK(ish) and then can get worse. And does yours ache at night in bed ? An ache in the bone part?

Yup it still aches. and yesterday rained so arthritis could be the cause of the ache. it's kinda bruised too. I'm pretty sure its out of place because I remember when i first hit it, it felt like someone moved my kneecap. and yes, still swollen from the knee down. But i mean i can live with the pain, because my stomach pains are a million times worse than a maybe dislocated knee :P

~ Lisa ~

georgie Enthusiast

Perhaps we need to start a Sore Knee Club or something ! Mine is sore here at the computer when I bend it, and that's been 3 weeks. About 4 years ago I had a chiro look at my knee and he was able to flick the patella into a better position ( I was having a few aches at the time ) but am too scared for him to look at it now - without xrays.

The Dr said that I may have a cracked kneecap :blink: and that it can be wired together :blink::blink: so am sitting here shaking about it all :o

My cousin that had the fracture in her kneecap has 'wheat allergy' ( her Dr said its not Celiac as the blood test was OK :rolleyes: ), HypoThyroid and B12 like me. Now I am panicking that my late dx of Celiac may have weakened my bones like her.

I had a DVT after my last knee op ..... :(

Given how long it's been, it's definitely worth going in on Monday. I wouldn't worry about desperately finding someone on Sunday, but there's going to be a doc around somewhere early in the week; schedule something.

num1habsfan Rising Star
Given how long it's been, it's definitely worth going in on Monday. I wouldn't worry about desperately finding someone on Sunday, but there's going to be a doc around somewhere early in the week; schedule something.

I'm writing finals starting Monday, and theres no way i can find time in between to make an appointment. :( . i'll just wrap it in icepack again, seems to help me sleep anyways.

~ Lisa ~

georgie Enthusiast

This is an old wives tale - but someone told me that if ice helps it ...its ligaments and that if ice hurts it ..its a break.

Ice made mine hurt more .... :(

gfp Enthusiast
Yup it still aches. and yesterday rained so arthritis could be the cause of the ache. it's kinda bruised too. I'm pretty sure its out of place because I remember when i first hit it, it felt like someone moved my kneecap. and yes, still swollen from the knee down. But i mean i can live with the pain, because my stomach pains are a million times worse than a maybe dislocated knee :P

~ Lisa ~

If it doesn't hurt that much constantly its unlikey to be dislocated..... dislocated joints REALLY hurt...

fractures don't though... but anything around a knee or elbow always has pontential for pain....

If it hurts to straighten it don't for now... if its inflamed all sorts of things can be pressing on nerves and anything increasing the inflamation will make it press harder.

I'd definately have it checked out.... knees are funny and full of little parts that can be damaged but of you can't until Tue. then try and keep it as immobile as possible and aleviate as much swelling as you can with ice.

just my 2c..

Archived