Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ann1231

Colonoscopy Found Celiac In Dh 6 Years Ago And He Found Out Today!

DH went in for a colonoscopy 6 years ago due to sudden and violent D. He was told to not eat as much wheat and they left it at that, said it "might" help him. He went in for his physical today and the dr. pulled up his chart and found that the chart said "sprue" damage found 6 years ago. Husband said he remembered hearing that word in passing a few years ago but had no idea what it was. Dr. said it's more commonly known as celiac. At that my husband knew, of course because of me, exactly what it was and what it meant. I'm frustrated not only at the dr office but my husband too. I've been telling him for YEARS that his symptoms smacked of celiac but he kept blowing it off and saying nothing was found in the tests. argh.

Now if he'll just follow the diet (highly doubtful, for years he's been telling me that bread or pasta now and then wouldn't hurt me)

The dr. did tell him that the "experts" used to think this was very rare but are now realizing it's very common ........

I feel like banging my head on the wall sometimes.....

hypothyroid

hypoglycemic (diagnosed 1997 but symptomatic since grade school)

fibromyalgia

rheumatoid arthritis (diagnosed January 2005)

peanut allergy

restarting gluten-free January 20, 2013

elevated liver enzymes + symptoms indicated celiac January 31, 2013. Dr. didn't want to run further tests due to other health complications

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Oh my goodness!!!! Talk about not giving him an explanation of what they found! Geez!

Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm

but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06

gluten-free since 1/12/06

Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)

Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006

gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)

HLA-DQ2 positive

Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times

Still eating gluten for now.

Uh, incompetence? I would be very angry if I were your husband. I would contemplate lodging a complaint or suing. At the very least, he should write to the original doctor to report what he went through because he wasn't told what he should have been told. If nothing else, perhaps this doctor won't do this to anyone else. Or is his doctor now the same one he had before?

Yes, doctors used to think it was rare. But wasn't that disproven years before your husband was tested? There is no excuse not to stay up with the literature (or to research things if a patient presents with a particular disease). Even if it was rare, this is no excuse not to tell him and advise him what to do to avoid further damage to his body and to begin to heal.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

That's horrible! Knowing about celiac 6 years ago could have prevented him from suffering the past few years. What were they looking for 6 years ago? Was it a routine colonoscopy or to see why he was feeling sick?

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

Did they do an endoscopy at the same time? The endoscopy and blood work is the test for celiac, not a colonoscopy.

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

That's horrible! Knowing about celiac 6 years ago could have prevented him from suffering the past few years. What were they looking for 6 years ago? Was it a routine colonoscopy or to see why he was feeling sick?

it wasn't routine. He'd been having trouble keeping weight on, violent D, run down, feeling terrible, stomach cramps, the whole bit.

They did a biopsy at that point on some spots (I guess that's how they found the damage). I don't really know what all they did. He went to dr. appt. by himself and forgets most of whats said....guess I'll start going with him from now on...

I talked with his parents this afternoon. They said he was 'allergic' to wheat, barley, rye, etc as a child, he was always sick, very underweight, very sickly is how they put it. They didn't know about celiac then of course. Now, after talking with them and what the tests showed, it all fits together in a nice little package.

My son is upset. I told him his chances are extremely high with both a mom and a dad with it. He's now saying he doesn't have problems (just yesterday he was complaining of stomach cramps and bathroom issues, it's a normal routine for him). I think he's really in denial that he may have to give up some of the foods he loves. His mood has definitely changed this afternoon since hearing all this.

Anyway, what a bummer but I am glad that maybe husband can start feeling better....if he'll stay gluten-free that is...

hypothyroid

hypoglycemic (diagnosed 1997 but symptomatic since grade school)

fibromyalgia

rheumatoid arthritis (diagnosed January 2005)

peanut allergy

restarting gluten-free January 20, 2013

elevated liver enzymes + symptoms indicated celiac January 31, 2013. Dr. didn't want to run further tests due to other health complications