Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EVERYBODY'SAUNTIE

Handling Bread Dough?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

If my daughter comes into contact with wheat on her hands, they get beet red, crack and she gets rash on he forearm. Found out the hard way when they worked with paper mache in class.

sandy

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

I've been told and read it on this site that you CANNOT have a reaction from gluten on your skin. That being said, it kills me!! My hands crack open and bleed and my finger tips swell when I handle wheat/Gluten. I found out maybe a month after my diagnosis that I had this reaction becuase I thought I could touch wheat, but wash my hands and I would be fine. I was not. That was one of my worst bleeding hands problems and to this day I still get the same reaction.

In my opinion, buy some gloves (call about the possible flour dusted inside to keep it from sticking). Now I reguarly use disposable rubber gloves to touch cookies, breads, etc.

If my daughter comes into contact with wheat on her hands, they get beet red, crack and she gets rash on he forearm. Found out the hard way when they worked with paper mache in class.

sandy

oh boy! that sounds nasty! I know i'm not that sensitive. In fact, i consider myself proof God has a sense of humour. I have one thing i'm really good at and that is baking s0, what happens...i find myself needing to live lo-carb and now, from the looks of things, gluten free as well :blink:

Fortunately, I take equal joy in watching others enjoy my goodies so that will have to do! :rolleyes:

I am a baker, and I would rather watch other enjoy my food than eat it myself. Heavy baked goods disagree with me, but baking is my passion. I'm one odd duck.

I don't swell, peel, crack, or turn red, but I wear gloves & wash my hands religiously. If you handle dough, wash very well before eating or touching your face or mouth, do not eat in a room where you recently used flour (it can stay in the air for 24 hours) and do not use the same equipment for "gluten free" foods, as it is nearly impossible to clean bakery equipment that well ( If the same cutting board is used, we can't call it gluten free, so that shows you how it goes).

Have fun, but

get used to either a face mask or inflamed sinuses. You get a reaction where you absorb gluten, and wheat up the nose is absorbed and reacted to. I have to start my day with antihistamines and take them 3 more times a day when I work. And I use the face mask and wash religiously!

~Destiny

Diagnosed with Celiac on April 24, 2007

The bad:

Ovarian Cysts- unable to carry a child

Nerve damage

Severe intestinal damage

Near death experiences

The good:

A new outlook on life

A newfound respect for others who must face challenges that they did not necessarily want to face today

Healthy Cookies

Fortunately, I take equal joy in watching others enjoy my goodies so that will have to do! :rolleyes:

You can still enjoy baking and be safe. One can bake some truly delicious gluten-free cookies and cakes that no one will know the difference. Why subject yourself to cross contamination when you really don't have to.

Valda

Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance

other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca

Hypoglycemic

Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)

Living a healthier, happier life.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

hi every one. i am day 4 gluten free(as far as i know)! i was wondering if it is okay for me to handle bread dough? I am what you'd call self-diagnosed and so i'm not sure how sensitive i am.

I don't know as I haven't handled wheat dough. But I handle wheat bread and wheat flour tortillas when I prepare meals for my wife. I don't go to extreme measures and haven't had a problem - so far anyway. I touch it with my bare hands then just give a quick rinse and wipe with a paper towel. No big deal.

I just have regular celiac. No DH, never had any skin rashes or anything like that.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

I've been told and read it on this site that you CANNOT have a reaction from gluten on your skin.

Ok, so it may be a bit of confusion. I think some threads were discussing the possibility of systemic glutening symptoms by coming into skin contact with wheat. My daughter does not get "glutening" symptoms (and she is very sensitive to CC) when she handled the paper mache...but she definitely gets a skin reaction ...........

Hope that helps

Sandy

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06