This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Need Someone

Lister

Guest JennyK
how much magensium would you have to take to overdose? because i took the recommend dosage at 9am its 7pm and i still have not used the rr, so i was thinking about taking another dosage, not sure why but for the past like 2 weeks it seems like my colon has stoped working or something

Hi Lister,

I take lots of magnesium supplements for stress, anxiety and to help me sleep (along with calcium and or coral calcium). My nutritionist said that you will get a headache if you take too much magnesium. I've also read from several different sources that approx. 75% of the population is deficient in magnesium. I think this is a relatively safe supplement, especially for those who have absorbtion issues - I think it may be hard to take too much. I'm not an expert, this is just my experience.

Jenny

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KarenDianne Newbie
Beans bother me sometimes and sometimes they don't ... when they're a major part of a meal, there is a bigger chance of them bothering me than if they're a side dish. I don't think it's the gluten ... seems okay to me.

Hi there...you seem to be on the site a lot and have been around for a while and have some good advice...so I'm stopping by to bother you, if you don't mind. Rather than write a book here (oops...tool ate, I guess)...I'm new to the celiac disease diet and lifestyle...it's horrible...but I'm working on it! I can't find how to post a question etc. other than by jumping in on someone's posts, as I am now. Can you tell me how? Several days ago I wrote several comments and questions but then wasn't able to get back on to check results for a couple days...and now I don't see a thing, either my posts or any answers. I think I've had celiac disease for 20-25 years at least and had no idea what all my "stomach problems" were. I'm pretty convinced now that it's celiac disease - seeing a dr. and having the bloodwork...maybe the colonoscopy but definitely do not want the endoscopy. Basically I'm losing weight like crazy...maybe not a lot to some people I've read on here...but a whole lot for someone who is 5'2" and already a small frame...I've lost 15 pounds in the last 6 weeks...my ribs are showing, I've lost several clothing sizes and I'm sooo hungry all the time. My "body" just aches...Eating rice/potatoes and homemade vegetable soup (tastes good but really gives me gas pains up under my ribs...)...trying some gluten-free products but want to know about practical things...like are hamburgers ok?? I read someone said arby's roast beef and their sauce was gluten-free??? This would be miraculous...I could actually put it on my gluten-free bread and feel normal...but somehow I'm not sure it's ok to eat. What about something like Classico spaghetti sauce on gluten-free noodles? I didn't read anything on the jar that was off limits for me but I'm so afraid to try it...?

OK I'm done for now...I'll check in tomorrow and see if you've responded...so far I haven't heard from anyone and it'd sure be nice to hear from another celiac person...it's such a whole new world and very scary to think I'm always going to feel like this...I'm hoping it does get a lot better. Thanks so much for your response (please respond to as many things as you can) - I really look forward to it. FYI: I'm a "new senior citizen" with grandkids who took early retirement due to health problems (only a couple years early), and have a business out of my home that I absolutely love. I feel very blessed - but sure could use some encouragement in the celiac disease department. Thanks! KarenDianne

Lister Rising Star

karien if you need diet typs or ideas of what to eat just send me a pm or post here and i can help you out, even though i (aparently) dont have to eat this way i have chosen to as fear as to what may happen if i challange it, so i have been living gluten-free for a year now without hardly any mistakes, and recently i have come up with lots of good diffrent ideas so that way i am almost always eating something diffrent everynight and feeling like i eat like a normal person (besides for pizza) prague sauces (for what i have seen) are all gluten free and i use them all the time with tinkiadink pasta noodles, i will give you more ideas later if y ou want im acually kinda drunk right now(friends birthday had a wine bash) so typing is maken me a lil dizzy and its taking me to much thought but i will get back to you in the morning. Some great breakfast ideas, vans gluten free waffles( never had a reaction) with a side of eggs makes for a filling breakfast that sticks with you i usualy use like a smuckers syrup with it and its delishuse

Lister Rising Star

as for your wait loss, it may be freaking but its acually normal. Did your diet consist of alot of gluten before going gluten-free? if so, the diet even though not 100% carb free is alot way alot less carbs, so as if it was the atkins(though its not) you do loose alot of weight fairly rapidly) i went from 300+ to 150 in less then 4 months, i was freaking out i thought i was dieing but after about 5 months the weight loss started to balance out and after a year i was finally able to gain about 7 pounds. I am currently at 155 and am as healthy as i have ever been (besides for random stomich pains)

Lister Rising Star

oh and also, for anyone that was wondering about gluten-free beer and about the taste. My local beer mart ( i live in a college town we have buildings soly dedicated to just beer not liqour just beer, happens to carry 3 diffrent gluten free beers (hehe, aparently 1/5th of the college has a gluten intolerancy so its very very populer) anyways i picked up two bottles of bards tale (fricking expensive 2dollers a bottle regular size) anyways i drank some of one and let my friends try it also and they all said it tastes just like a regular beer but acually smoother, yeah thats right it tasts like a beer but with a even better tast, i compare it to killians(o how i miss my killians irish beer) anyways its good tastes like the real thing. If you can find it aaprently most albertsons cary it, its tasty and just like the real deal

Glutenfreefamily Enthusiast
Hi there...you seem to be on the site a lot and have been around for a while and have some good advice...so I'm stopping by to bother you, if you don't mind. Rather than write a book here (oops...tool ate, I guess)...I'm new to the celiac disease diet and lifestyle...it's horrible...but I'm working on it! I can't find how to post a question etc. other than by jumping in on someone's posts, as I am now. Can you tell me how? Several days ago I wrote several comments and questions but then wasn't able to get back on to check results for a couple days...and now I don't see a thing, either my posts or any answers. I think I've had celiac disease for 20-25 years at least and had no idea what all my "stomach problems" were. I'm pretty convinced now that it's celiac disease - seeing a dr. and having the bloodwork...maybe the colonoscopy but definitely do not want the endoscopy. Basically I'm losing weight like crazy...maybe not a lot to some people I've read on here...but a whole lot for someone who is 5'2" and already a small frame...I've lost 15 pounds in the last 6 weeks...my ribs are showing, I've lost several clothing sizes and I'm sooo hungry all the time. My "body" just aches...Eating rice/potatoes and homemade vegetable soup (tastes good but really gives me gas pains up under my ribs...)...trying some gluten-free products but want to know about practical things...like are hamburgers ok?? I read someone said arby's roast beef and their sauce was gluten-free??? This would be miraculous...I could actually put it on my gluten-free bread and feel normal...but somehow I'm not sure it's ok to eat. What about something like Classico spaghetti sauce on gluten-free noodles? I didn't read anything on the jar that was off limits for me but I'm so afraid to try it...?

OK I'm done for now...I'll check in tomorrow and see if you've responded...so far I haven't heard from anyone and it'd sure be nice to hear from another celiac person...it's such a whole new world and very scary to think I'm always going to feel like this...I'm hoping it does get a lot better. Thanks so much for your response (please respond to as many things as you can) - I really look forward to it. FYI: I'm a "new senior citizen" with grandkids who took early retirement due to health problems (only a couple years early), and have a business out of my home that I absolutely love. I feel very blessed - but sure could use some encouragement in the celiac disease department. Thanks! KarenDianne

Hi KarenDianne :)

Im not Carla but I would be glad to help out. To make a new post click on the forum area that you want to post such as "coping with" On the right side of the screen at the top there is a box labeled "new post" click on that and type your subject and message in there. It wont come up instanty because it needs to be pinned by a moderator. It usually doesn't take long at all to be pinned. With them pinning the post it helps keep spam and other offending posts off the board. Plain meat, vegetables and fruit are gluten free. All Classico sauces are gluten free. I love their alfredo sauces. My favorite noodles are tinkyada to go with it.

It is scary at first not knowing what to eat but slowly it becomes easy, also I would look through the products section of this board and the baking area. At restaurants there is always a risk of cross contamination with gluten. I dont eat out for this reason. Have you called on your soaps, shampoos, conditioners, and lotions? I do look some stuff up here but I call quite a bit too since alot of times they will send a list to you of all their gluten free stuff. For dish soap I use sunlight, shampoo and conditioner I use suave, and softsoap for handsoap. McCormick's spices that are individual are gluten free (meaning just cinnamon, sage, paprika). The mixes I use that are gluten free are mcCormick's sloppy joe and mccormick's taco seasoning.

:)

CarlaB Enthusiast

KarenDianne, looks like you've gotten some good answers. I'll send you a PM so that we don't further hijack Lister's thread.

Lister, I'm SO glad to hear you say you're doing so well. We've all been worried about you for so long, it's wonderful to know you're feeling better.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived