This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Cruises Are Good

little d

little d Enthusiast

Hi all

We are looking for cruise to go on and don't know where we want to go and what ships are the best, can't decide if we want to take our daughter as well. we have never been on a honeymoon, or a family vaction. any ideas

Thanks Donna

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I know Royal Caribbean offers gluten free meals. You just need to email them 45 days prior to your trip. Not sure how old your daughter is, but cruises are great for family vacations. There is something for everyone.

little d Enthusiast

cool thanks, we are also looking for something that is not really expensive as well, but hopfully we can get on with RC Im sure that will be a lot of fun. my daughter is 7 but I kinda don't want to take her because we never had a honeymoon when we got married, but I still want to take her too.

Donna

gdobson Explorer

The only cruise I've ever been on was Disney - but it was fantastic! They were very helpful with gluten free meals right up to having a chef walk the buffet with my son and me. Neither one of us got sick at all on that vacation.

elefky Apprentice
Hi all

We are looking for cruise to go on and don't know where we want to go and what ships are the best, can't decide if we want to take our daughter as well. we have never been on a honeymoon, or a family vaction. any ideas

Thanks Donna

I took a Carnival cruise a few years ago. My travel agent notified them of dietary concerns and they sent me a form to fax back. I brought a loaf of my bread and a couple of boxes of my pasta with me. On the first evening I spoke to the hostess. She took the pasta and the bread. Any morning I ate in the dining room (only) I could get my bread. We agreed that whatever the pasta course was any evening, they would make with mine. Every evening she went over the next evening's menu with me to make sure I had choices. They were very accomodating.

The next year I went with Royal Caribbean. Again, we notified them ahead. They said I did not need to bring anything. Every evening I had a different gluten free bread (not always great but mostly ok). But I couldn't have a pasta dish. My waiter was careful with me.

Whichever company you travel with, contact them ahead. They are all used to dealing with dietary needs these days but some are more accomodating than others.

Have a great time! Cruising is wonderful!

Estelle

dragonmom Apprentice

Ive been on Royal Carribian and Norwegian , both very accomodating. Going to Alaska on Holland America in July, they asked for a faxed list of things I'd like to eat from a list. I hope it goes as well as the other ones. It seems to me that once they know you are gluten-free they take pretty good care of you. What a life..... :rolleyes:

DILIROTH Newbie

We recently returned from a Carnival cruise in the Med and had a wonderful time! We took our daughter and she had a blast at their camp carnival - the ship was very kid and family oriented. The counselors were wonderful and the availability of care was fantastic - it was great to have some adult alone time both on the boat and for shore excursions. The camp was included in the fare but they also have evening babysitting services for an extra fee.

Also, the best part of the trip was that I had plenty to eat and never had any gluten problems. The dining room was accomadating and I could order with ease but it was very inconvient for us b/c we enjoyed lounging at the pool and eating at the Lido Buffet. They had a wonderful omelet guy that I visited every morning, then I would often visit him for some fresh stir fry. They also had a grill and I was able to have a burger wrap but requested them to change their gloves before they touched my topings - they were a little puzzled at first but quickly became familar with my strange requests.

I am hooked on cruise vacations and would definately recomend!

Theresa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
RosR Newbie

Hi,

I just got back from a cruise on Norwegian's Pride of Hawaii. I had my travel agent request gluten-free meals for me, but since it was not made a full month prior to my cruise they wouldn't order any "special foods" for me.

I would say your worst options are in the main dining room. The maitre d' told me that they pretty much coat/soak all of their meats with a flour mixture. The only meat they could prepare was a steak and some seafood items were ok, but you have to check daily. They really were not helpful and pretty much made no effort to help me out. I had the steak twice and didn't eat there again. I stopped in once to talk to them about that night's dinner, but they didn't call me back until after 10pm.

Dining in the buffet area had many gluten-free options and any time I asked a staff member to check something for me, they did so without hesitation and let me know whether I could eat it or not. Also, in the Italian restaurant, they have gluten-free spaghetti that they can prepare for you. There is also a Mexican restaurant with many options made with corn tortilla.

(They have other "fee" restaurants, but we did not eat at them so I can't tell you what they offer)

The cruise was great overall, just a few frustrations in the main dining room. Hope this helps.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

TT24
    Newest Member
    TT24
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Fluka66
      Thank you again for your reply and comments which I have read carefully as I appreciate any input at this stage. I'm tending to listen to what my body wants me to do, having been in agony for many years any respite has been welcome and avoiding all wheat and lactose has thankfully brought this.  When in pain before I was seen by a number of gynacologists as I had 22 fibroids and had an operation 13 years ago to shrink them . However the pain remained and intensified to the point over the years where I began passing out. I was in and out of a&e during covid when waiting rooms where empty. My present diet is the only thing that's given me any hope for the future. As I say I had never heard of celiac disease before starting so I guess had this not come up in a conversation I would just have carried on. It was the swollen lymph node that sent me to a boots pharmacist who immediately sent me to a&e where a Dr asked questions prescribed antibiotics and then back to my GP. I'm now waiting for my hospital appointment . Hope this answers your question. I found out more about the disease because I googled something I wouldn't normally do, it did shed light on the disease but I also read some things that this disease can do. On good days I actually hope I haven't got this but on further investigation my mother's side of the family all Celtic have had various problems 're stomach pain my poor grandmother cried in pain as did her sister whilst two of her brother's survived WW2 but died from ulcers put down to stress of fighting.  Wishing you well with your recovery.  Many thanks  
    • knitty kitty
      Welcome to the forum, @Nacina, What supplements is your son taking?
    • knitty kitty
      @BluegrassCeliac, I'm agreeing.  It's a good thing taking magnesium. And B vitamins. Magnesium and Thiamine work together.  If you supplement the B vitamins which include Thiamine, but don't have sufficient magnesium, Thiamine won't work well.  If you take Magnesium, but not Thiamine, magnesium won't work as well by itself. Hydrochlorothiazide HCTZ is a sulfonamide drug, a sulfa drug.  So are proton pump inhibitors PPIs, and SSRIs. High dose Thiamine is used to resolve cytokine storms.  High dose Thiamine was used in patients having cytokine storms in Covid infections.  Magnesium supplementation also improves cytokine storms, and was also used during Covid. How's your Vitamin D? References: Thiamine and magnesium deficiencies: keys to disease https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25542071/ Hiding in Plain Sight: Modern Thiamine Deficiency https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8533683/ The Effect of a High-Dose Vitamin B Multivitamin Supplement on the Relationship between Brain Metabolism and Blood Biomarkers of Oxidative Stress: A Randomized Control Trial https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6316433/ High‐dose Vitamin B6 supplementation reduces anxiety and strengthens visual surround suppression https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9787829/ Repurposing Treatment of Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome for Th-17 Cell Immune Storm Syndrome and Neurological Symptoms in COVID-19: Thiamine Efficacy and Safety, In-Vitro Evidence and Pharmacokinetic Profile https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33737877/ Higher Intake of Dietary Magnesium Is Inversely Associated With COVID-19 Severity and Symptoms in Hospitalized Patients: A Cross-Sectional Study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9132593/ Magnesium and Vitamin D Deficiency as a Potential Cause of Immune Dysfunction, Cytokine Storm and Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation in covid-19 patients https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7861592/ Sulfonamide Hypersensitivity https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31495421/
    • BluegrassCeliac
      Hi,   Not saying Thiamine (B1) couldn't be an issue as well, but Mg was definitely the cause of my problems. It's the only thing that worked. I supplemented with B vitamins, but that didn't change anything, in fact they made me sick. Mg stopped all my muscle pain (HCTZ) within a few months and fixed all the intestinal problems HCTZ caused as well. Mom has an allergy to some sulfa drugs (IgG Celiac too), but I don't think I've ever taken them. Mg boosted my energy as well. It solved a lot of problems. I take 1000mg MgO a day with no problems. I boost absorption with Vitamin D. Some people can't take MgO,  like mom, she takes Mg Glycinate. It's one of those things that someone has try and find the right form for themselves. Everyone's different. Mg deficiency can cause anxiety and is a treatment for it. A pharmacist gave me a list of drugs years ago that cause Mg deficiency: PPIs, H2 bockers, HCTZ, some beta blockers (metoprolol which I've taken -- horrible side effects), some anti-anxiety meds too were on it. I posted because I saw he was an IgG celiac. He's the first one I've seen in 20 years, other than my family. We're rare. All the celiacs I've met are IgA. Finding healthcare is a nightmare. Just trying to help. B  
    • Scott Adams
      It sounds like you've been through a lot with your son's health journey, and it's understandable that you're seeking answers and solutions. Given the complexity of his symptoms and medical history, it might be beneficial to explore a few avenues: Encourage your son to keep a detailed journal of his symptoms, including when they occur, their severity, any triggers or patterns, and how they impact his daily life. This information can be valuable during medical consultations and may help identify correlations or trends. Consider seeking opinions from specialized medical centers or academic hospitals that have multidisciplinary teams specializing in gastrointestinal disorders, especially those related to Celiac disease and Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EOE). These centers often have experts who deal with complex cases and can offer a comprehensive evaluation. Since you've already explored alternative medicine with a nutrition response doctor and a gut detox diet, you may want to consider consulting a functional medicine practitioner. They take a holistic approach to health, looking at underlying causes and imbalances that may contribute to symptoms. Given his low vitamin D levels and other nutritional markers, a thorough nutritional assessment by a registered dietitian or nutritionist specializing in gastrointestinal health could provide insights into any deficiencies or dietary adjustments that might help alleviate symptoms. In addition to routine tests, consider asking about more specialized tests that may not be part of standard screenings. These could include comprehensive stool analyses, food intolerance testing, allergy panels, or advanced imaging studies to assess gut health.