Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VegasCeliacBuckeye

Happy Memorial Day

Besides all of the current men and women of the armed forces and all of the ones who have lost their lives,

today, I remember a person I never met.

Cpl. Vernon Huddleston (R.I.P.), my paternal biological grandfather.

He served our country in WWII in the army air force. He gave his life for our country. He died on July 4, 1942. His plane was unfortunately hit by a shot down Japanese plane (US pilot shot their plane which then accidentally hit my grandfather's plane). His nickname was "whitey". I never met him, but I try to remember him every Memorial Day and thank him for serving our country.

I also remember my maternal grandfather, Ray Perrin (R.I.P) and paternal adoptive grandfather, Daniel Burk (R.I.P.) as they also served our country in the Navy in WWII.

Anyone else have specific people they think of today?

:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I remember two of my uncles, I have never met.

I also remember a classmate I graduated with in 2000, he was killed in Iraq, 2 years ago.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

I remember all my loved ones that have moved on to the other side. But for armed forces and my hero- I remember my grandpa. Captain Jesse L. Bishop -United States Army.

He recieved the Purple Heart, Silver Star, 2 Bronze Oak Leaves and was nominated for the Congressional medal of honor. He also received an award for the Pearl Harbor attack. (Not sure what it is called).

He served in WWII, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. We lost him just over a year and a half ago. He was 85 years old, still sharp as a tack. I believe he died due to a combination of cancer and heartache. My grandparents anniversary was 3 weeks away, and I don't think he could bare to live that day without her. We lost her the prior year 2 days before christmas.

He joined the Army when he was 14 years old. He lied about his age. His dad had been hit by a car and killed and his mom had no way to support the family. He took it upon himself to be the man of the family and sent every penny he made home to his mom.

He only made it to the 8th grade. But he was one of the smartest men I ever met.

I have his dog tags from the WWII, and it is one of my most treasured things I own. I miss him so much....

I remember my Grandfather, Walter McNutt. He served in WWI, and survived. (Thankfully, or I wouldn't be here.) He was wounded and not expected to walk again. He eventually walked without a limp and was a source of inspiration. I know it's technically a day to remember those who lost their lives, but I still like to remember grandpa and the sacrifice he was willing to make as a very young man.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

Liz,

My grandfather fathered my father (weird sentence) right before he was deployed. When they returned his effects to my grandmother, one of the items he had was her last letter and pic of my dad when he was born. I don't know why, but its nice to know he got to see his son before he passed (even if it was only a picture).

If he hadnt done that (fathered my dad), I wouldn't be here either - LOL

I have 2 that I think about today--

My Uncle Arthur, who came back from WWII with extensive internal injuries, and like Liz's dear Grandfather, he was not expected to live. Happily, he did go on to live a full life, in a wheelchair, surrounded by his family and was quite the character. A very sweet, gentle man.

My mom's cousin was a helicoptor pilot who was shot down in Vietnam, never found, and declared dead. He left behind a wife and 3 young (at the time) children. I remember visiting them in Florida, on the base where they lived, before he went over.

My thoughts are with all of you and your loved ones today :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev