Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can I please get some help in determining whether certain ingredients on labels contain gluten or not. I'm good when it obviously says "wheat, rye, barley or oats" but do I assume "natural flavorings or caramel flavorings" would have gluten in them? I think I'm clear now on modified food starch being made from corn. Are there lots of other ingredients I should just assume have gluten? I was re-tested about three months ago and I am still testing positive for that antibody which means I'm not doing as well as I thought.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I never eat anything listing "natural flavoring" unless I've seen the company's specific response to that particular product.

It seems "caramel coloring" or flavoring is less risky but I've come to avoid it just the same.

Strange that while trying to eat so healthfully that "artificial flavoring" is preferred over "natural"!

There are a few huge lists of gluten-free products out there. One I've used is ~60pg PDF found @ http://homepage.mac.com/sholland/celiac/

Assuming you're not the rarer man named Kim, I've seen recent discussion on gluten-free lipsticks. Seems many aren't.

Also beware the items which are dusted w/ minute amounts of wheat flour to prevent them from sticking together or clumping. Dried fruit is one example. Some others are things in the bulk bins.

Another surprise to me was that even some toothpastes have gluten! Not positive now but back when I started Aim was one.

Good luck!

Can I please get some help in determining whether certain ingredients on labels contain gluten or not. I'm good when it obviously says "wheat, rye, barley or oats" but do I assume "natural flavorings or caramel flavorings" would have gluten in them? I think I'm clear now on modified food starch being made from corn. Are there lots of other ingredients I should just assume have gluten? I was re-tested about three months ago and I am still testing positive for that antibody which means I'm not doing as well as I thought.

I don't have my list with me, but you can search this site. I know most gluten-free Cook books go into details about what ingredients are allowed and not allowed. If you are still having problems, go to a whole foods only diet. Fresh unprocessed meats, fruits, and veggies until you can call on everything else that you use or eat. Start keeping a list of foods that you have already called and if they are gluten-free or not.

If you mean the mostly unpronounceable stuff on the lower half of most ingredients lists, try this site: http://www.clanthompson.com, under Resources->Free Info Lists. There you can find scaled-down versions of the lists in their subscription products. If you choose to purchase their smartlist products, be aware that at this time the full ingredients list is only in the PC-based products, not in the PDA-based ones (they tell me they are working on it). Hope this helps.

DX'ed celiac June 2006 by blood and biopsy

Gluten-free and healthy since