This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Adding/subtracting Food

Guest maybe I have celiac

I ordered Chinese food last week. I have been consciously making an effort to avoid Gluten. Well, I went crazy, I had a hard time getting out of bed and getting motivated for work and life. Then I remembered MSG, which has Monosodium GLUTENATE!!! It took me three days of eating leftover Chinese fried rice and General Tsao's chicken to figure this one out. My other symptoms were severe depression, fatigue, anxiety, anger, loss of motivation, apathy and maybe some D when I am Glutened. Last Friday, and since, I have felt much better by watching what I am eating. My family and friends think I am nuts when I tell them this, with the exception of those who have been around people who have had this disease.

This article has really helped me (please read): Open Original Shared Link

A professor from my graduate school once said that "small changes make for big changes" and in my case how true. I feel much sharper and more optimistic by something as small as avoiding grains. I am beginning to feel that I have control of my emotions for the first time in my life, 33 years of it. I don't like to blame things, but I guess I can blame a lot of my behaviors on Gluten. I think I tolerate Casein pretty well, still experimenting.

I am thinking of getting Enterolab, but it looks pricey.

Your thoughts and experiences?

BTW, this is a great web-site, I am learning so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

MSG is gluten free, however, the soy sauce used in most chinese dishes is NOT gluten free. That would likely be your problem. You could make most of these dishes at home using gluten free soy sauce in the recipe.

Enterolab is a great tool for those who don't have their doctor's support in diagnosis. However, it can only tell you if you're gluten sensitive. It can't diagnose Celiac.

MSG is gluten free, however, the soy sauce used in most chinese dishes is NOT gluten free. That would likely be your problem. You could make most of these dishes at home using gluten free soy sauce in the recipe.

Enterolab is a great tool for those who don't have their doctor's support in diagnosis. However, it can only tell you if you're gluten sensitive. It can't diagnose Celiac.

yeah, had some soy sauce with it, but maybe I am MSG intolerant as well from the symptoms I read.

question: is Centrum multivitamin Gluten free? I think I had a small reaction to it a couple days ago.

psawyer Proficient

MSG is controversial, but is gluten-free. Many soy sauces are made from a mixture of wheat and soy. Wheat is cheaper, so the resulting sauce is cheaper if wheat is used. Restaurants are businesses seeking a profit, so they usually use the least expensive ingredients available. Basic economics.

There are are a number of soy sauces available which are truly soy sauces and which contain no wheat. If you are in Canada, VH brand soy sauce is gluten-free and is widely available in grocery stores at a reasonable price. Only in Canada, you say. Pity. :o

Soy sauce in a restaurant, hmmmm.... :blink:

jerseyangel Proficient
question: is Centrum multivitamin Gluten free? I think I had a small reaction to it a couple days ago.

The regular Centrum multi is gluten-free, but not all of their formulations are. You would need to call and check for those--their number is on the bottle.

Do you have problems with dairy? The Centrum does contain lactose.

The regular Centrum multi is gluten-free, but not all of their formulations are. You would need to call and check for those--their number is on the bottle.

Do you have problems with dairy? The Centrum does contain lactose.

I think I have a dairy allergy, in that it causes my skin to break out.

I've read MSG can penetrate the blood brain barrier and cause depression moodiness, is this true?

dally099 Contributor

oy chineese food is a gluten havan!! i ate stirfrys for 2 days in feb when we had to travel out of town thinking that it was better for me than the burgers. i was sooooo sick, and then i found out there is gluten in all their sauces, and soy sauce, not to mention that im allergic to soy. i make my own stirfrys at home now with no problems. so now we stay away from asian food out at all costs!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast

Like people said, MSG is gluten free, but for me it causes problems. I had beef jerky, no gluten, soy sauce, nothing... But MSG... had D for 2 Days!

I'd say Soy Sauce is probally the culprit.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - plumbago replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

2. - trents replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

3. - Suzi374 replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

4. - Suzi374 posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

5. - Peace lily posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Would like to gain weight

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

NYKaren
    Newest Member
    NYKaren
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• plumbago
      I'm also a nurse, but one who has worked in chronic care, and to some extent, it is more satisfying to see patients through to a diagnosis (as opposed to working in the ED), but an accurate diagnosis does not occur not as often as it should! Your posting presents a lot of information. But a couple of things I can respond to. One, celiac disease is diagnosed by endoscopy and biopsy of the duodenum. So, pathology will need to weigh in. It's not diagnosed on gastroscopy. (At least, not as far as I know). Two, did you get blood tests for celiac disease? You will need to be eating gluten in order for those to be accurate. Three, where was the CT angiogram (of what)? I could go on and on, but thought I'd start there.
    • trents
      Was a biopsy done when you had your gastroscopy? Concerning your anemia, are you B12 deficient? It's nearly impossible to get sufficient B12 if you are a vegetarian unless you take supplements.
    • Suzi374
      And I’m anaemic, however I’m also female and vegetarian. I had an iron trans a couple of years ago however it’s starting to dwindle and taking supplements doesn’t seem to work. I can’t seem to absorb it. 
    • Suzi374
      Hi, I attended a neurologist appt last Tuesday, which I nearly cancelled, due to ongoing numbness and tingling in toes to mid foot. One of the first things he asked was ‘are you celiac’. I’m not. He thought all reflexes were ok but at the last minute decided on nerve conduction tests which were low normal. He was a little confused as he felt they should be better and tried a new set of probs, all the time, giving me multiple shocks which were not enjoyable lol. Anyway, he’s now ordered tests for myeloma, and all the vitaminy things that so many of you mention on here, also tests looking for autoimmune responses. I already have Hashimotos. Interestingly, to me, but maybe someone out there can relate or knows more than i do, although I was a nurse, but ED not ‘weird symptoms’  nurse. Anyway back to the interesting thing, I took duramine in 2013 to lose weight which caused a massive panic attack when I stopped taking it and half my hair fell out. I only took it for a week but it was horrible and I regret it. It triggered ongoing panic attacks which are horrendous. So I feel like I’m a bit crazy. Then in 2020 I had this sudden onset of horrible pain when trying to eat a cinnamon roll. It continued and I lost around 20 kgs. I had two gastroscopes and a colonoscopy and they were all normal. I scored a barium swallow and CT angiogram. All normal. The pain subsided a little but I was left with reflux and an awful feeling that I couldn’t get air when I ate some foods. This was not anxiety.  The anxiety was separate and I still maintain this. This was something to do with eating. It was like the air was thick but I wasn’t short of breath. I just had the sensation I was, then it triggered anxiety. Anyway, I had other weird things- couldn’t bend knees to shave legs in shower lol. Knees felt stiff and swollen but they weren’t. Knee WOUld swell up randomly but mri showed minimal issues. A bit of a meniscus degeneration but insignificant. Then the buzzing sensations in my head, the feeling like someone was stabbing me with something sharp. So now, I pre empted his tests, although I don’t think I’m celiac because it should have come up on gastroscopy, I’ve gone off gluten. Since Tuesday last week so 9 days. Since then I don’t appear to be as constipated, I realised I got through today without a nap and I’m not tired, maybe it’s just today and not related but I get very tired normally and sleep straight after work often, I can bend my knees and shave my legs lol, the buzzing vibrating has gone from my head, I had to call and ambulance as my heart decided we were off on a run, but we weren’t running and I’ve been a bit twitchy at bed time when trying to sleep, reflux is improving, I did get the weird suffocating feeling a bit when eating today but not as bad normall. Tingling and numbness still present and I felt like it moved up my legs a bit today but I’m a bit jittery. So I don’t know if it’s celiac disease or a gluten intolerance but I think, and it may be wishful thinking because my symptoms do make life a bit challenging, but maybe I’m feeling better. I don’t feel as cloudy. My thinking feels crisper. Like there’s no buzzing and I’m not fighting to break through the cloudiness now. I hope so much that this may help me feel a bit better moving forward. It would be a miracle as I really have struggled to work and parent and keep the house clean and I’m always anxious and exhausted.  If you get this far, please tell me if you you can relate to any of the above. Oh and tonsils out 5 years ago but before that antibiotics multiple times a year, sometimes intramuscular because they were so bad.  Op was meant to take 30 mins, it took 1.5 hours due to size of them. 
    • Peace lily
      Im still not gaining weight I’m on a gluten free diet . And still having issues with constapation started priobiocs figured it would help been over two weeks . I guess it’s going to be a long road for me .