Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

a1sacch

Ovarian Cysts

Hi all:

Im not newly diagnosed (was so in May of 04) and im still young. im only 20. but ive been reading a lot lately about ovarian cysts for women with celiacs and troubles getting pregnant. Im not trying or anything, i just want to know what Im up against. and if anyone did have troubles, etc?

Anything is apprecaied.

thanks

gluten free since 05/04

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I had ovarian cysts constantly before my diagnosis, and often they would burst, causing unbelievable pain that required high doses of narcotic painkiller from the doctor. My doctor prescribed hormonal contraceptive because you cannot develop a cyst if you are not ovulating. I've been on the ring for 4 years to prevent ovarian cysts, but when I get married in March, I'm planning starting natural family planning. I'm not sure if the cysts will return or not--this will be an experiment. Where is this info that you've found on celiacs and ovarian cysts? I'd really like to take a look at it. Thanks.

Diagnosed July 2004

I have had cysts since I was 17 & thus have also been on the pill sice I was 17. When I decided to go gluten-free I also quit my pill. At 24 I relized I had no idea what post puberty life was like without the pill. I have had some cyst reoccurances but I feel much better overall. Maybe one day i will go back on the pill to help with the cysts (i dont need it for BC, boyf had chemo & radiation so no potential babies for me!) but for right now I am enjoying the lack of overwhemling hormones!

Jessica

Negative for Celiac

Confirmed Wheat Allergy May 5, 2007

Gluten-Free since May 7, 2007!

Other allergies: Dust Mites, Bananas, Fish, Shellfish, Chocolate, Feathers, Penicillin, 3 kinds of grasses, 4 kinds of trees & shrubs, 3 kinds of mold, & Cockroaches!

I had problems w/ cysts as soon as I went off the pill. I'm not sure if it's celiac related or not. I have been trying to get pregnant for the past two years w/ no luck. Hopefully, it's just me and others have had better luck :(

Diagnosed & gluten-free - April 2004 :)

I had Polycystic Ovarian Disease (which I assume is the same thing) after coming off of birth control at 24. It caused very high male hormones to run rampant through my system and stopped my period for several months. I was sent to an endocrinologist's who tried something new he'd heard about from other doctors. He put me on a Diabetic med that had a side effect of reducing the male hormones. It worked for me, my period started back up, and I got pregnant. I've not had any problems since the birth of my first child and I've since then had a second child. It's been 9 years since I went through that.

HI, ive had cysts since my teens. would send me to the ER when they burst. the pill was a disaster for me only made the bleeding worse. i was better off the pill and so we have 4 kids but once that was done (having kids) i had my hysterectomy which i think is what made the celiac kick in but still worth it, if you have a tough time get in to the gyne guy and get checked :P

Nadine

mom of 4 great kids - 2 diagnosed with autism and 2 typical kids (thank goodness)

all this started after my hysterectomy in March of 2006

G.F. since Feb 2007

Soy free since April 2007

Blood work was negatvie (after 2 weeks of being on the gluten-free diet)

entrolab results:

Antigliadin 9 (normal <10)

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 - 0302

HLA-DQB2 Allele 2 - 0502

HLA-DQ 3,1 (subtype 8,5)

carrying one celiac gene and one gluten intolerant gene

nurse at entrolab figures i caught this early and dont eat gluten anymore

life is like a box of chocolates;sometimes you get stuck with the yukky coconut fillet one