This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Best Pie Crust?

Anya78

Anya78 Explorer

I want to make a pie, which I haven't done since going gluten free. What are the best pre-made pie crusts you've found and where can I buy one? Or, does anyone have an easy recipe for a good pie crust?

Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient
I want to make a pie, which I haven't done since going gluten free. What are the best pre-made pie crusts you've found and where can I buy one? Or, does anyone have an easy recipe for a good pie crust?

Thanks!!

The Gluten Free Pantry Perfect Pie Crust Mix is my favorite. One box makes 2 good sized pie crusts.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Gluten Free Pantry's Pie Crust Mix is awesome. My family likes it even more than the old "gluteny" kind! ha It doesn't exactly roll out well, sort of need to just press it into the pan, but it's SOOOO yummy.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

jerseyangel Proficient

I have the "rolling issue" worked out. :P

I use all Spectrum Organic Shortening, and roll the dough between plastic wrap. I wet the counter slightly with a damp paper towel first to help the plastic stick. It's also ok to add a little more water if the dough is too crumbly. I think doing this makes the crust even better.

To put it into the pie plate, remove only the top piece of plastic, set it into the plate smoothing and fitting the dough into the pie plate with your fingers over the plastic. When in place, carefully remove plastic.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I've never made it from scratch, although I will give it a try one of these days. If I were to make it from scratch I would use the recipe from Annalise Roberts.

As for pre-made, I heard Sherri's is pretty good. I tried the gluten-free Bakehouse ones from Whole Foods and thought they were so so. You can find the Sherri's ones at Whole Foods.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

This is soooo easy-no rolling involved. 1 cup gluten-free flour mix (whatever is your favorite-I always use Pamela's), 1/2 c (1 stick) butter or margerine, 2 tbs sugar. This makes 1 crust:

-in pie plate, melt butter in microwave

-sprinkle in dry ingredients, mix with fork, pat out into pie plate

-put in refrigerator for 30 min.

-fill and bake

if you want a top crust, make the same dough, pat out in a circle on waxed paper over cookie sheet, refrigerate for ~15 min (so still pliable) turn over onto top of pie and peel off paper--if it's too hard/brittle when you pull it out of the fridge, just let it set for a bit. Crimp/pinch edges and bake. I had a caterer friend taste one of my berry pies and she said it was the best crust she had ever tasted and wanted my recipe!!

lpellegr Collaborator

I used to bake pies from scratch all the time and got high praise for my flaky crusts. The best gluten-free recipe I've found so far is Bette Hagman's Vinegar Pastry in the revised edition of The Gluten-Free Gourmet. It handles exactly like wheat flour pie dough - you can roll it out just like you would normal pie dough. I roll it out on a sheet of wax paper (use a few drops of water to make it stick to the counter) dusted with rice flour or gluten-free flour mix, pat the chilled dough into a circle, dust the top with said flour, and roll out with a floured rolling pin. Pick up the wax paper with the dough on it, put the upside down pie pan over it, flip the whole thing over, and the dough's in the pan in one piece. My relatives all agreed at Thanksgiving over the last few years that they couldn't tell the difference from my old crusts.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Belinda Meeker Apprentice
I used to bake pies from scratch all the time and got high praise for my flaky crusts. The best gluten-free recipe I've found so far is Bette Hagman's Vinegar Pastry in the revised edition of The Gluten-Free Gourmet. It handles exactly like wheat flour pie dough - you can roll it out just like you would normal pie dough. I roll it out on a sheet of wax paper (use a few drops of water to make it stick to the counter) dusted with rice flour or gluten-free flour mix, pat the chilled dough into a circle, dust the top with said flour, and roll out with a floured rolling pin. Pick up the wax paper with the dough on it, put the upside down pie pan over it, flip the whole thing over, and the dough's in the pan in one piece. My relatives all agreed at Thanksgiving over the last few years that they couldn't tell the difference from my old crusts.

Hi,

I just told hubby at dinner I would like to try pie dough lol

So could u post the ingred's and amounts please !

I don't get any magzines not able to afford any :(

Sounds good and I too use to make flaky crust and awsome breads and pasty's :angry:

I would greatly Appriciate the info. :)

Thanks!

Belinda

Granny Garbonzo Apprentice

Give it a break gals, you're making this much harder than it needs to be!

The put it and pat it woman had the best idea so far

I mix together

1/2 cup sweet rice flour (found at asian stores)

1/4 cup corn starch

1/2 cup tapioca flour

1/2 tsp xanthan gum

1/2 tsp salt

1/3 cup butter, or butter flavor crisco

after these are all mixed together well add

1 oz cream cheese

mix this in well and add

1/4 cup water

squish it all together with your hands and press that baby into a pie pan, make the crust part thin and the edges thick, then go around the edge and make it like a little dike with interesting even edges.....

My family makes pies all the time, pecan, custard, fruit, cream, pumpkin...mmmm

only takes about 15 minutes! Nothing to be afraid of here....it will be eaten up as fast as it is cooked!

Granny

cruelshoes Enthusiast
Open Original Shared Linkto my favorite pie crust recipe. It never fails me.
lpellegr Collaborator

Sorry I didn't get back right away with the recipe - I've been away. If you are experienced making pie crust, this should be easy. Here's Bette Hagman's Vinegar Pastry, which makes two crusts:

1 c white rice flour

3/4 c tapioca flour

3/4 c cornstarch

1 rounded teaspoon xanthan gum

3/4 t salt

1 T sugar

Mix these together in a bowl.

Using a pastry blender, cut in 3/4 c of shortening.

Blend together 1 egg, lightly beaten, and 1 T vinegar. Add this to the flour mixture and blend together with a fork.

1 T at a time, add ice water, tossing with the fork, until all the dry ingredients are starting to stick together and form a ball. It will probably only take 3 or 4 T. To test if it's enough, squeeze it into a ball with your hand. It should stick together but not be wet. Cut it in half. At this point you could wrap each and freeze or refrigerate until ready to use. If using right away, it helps to refrigerate for half an hour at this point.

Sprinkle a few drops of water on the counter to adhere a piece of wax paper or parchment and keep it from sliding. Dust with gluten-free flour of your choice. Pat one of the halves of the dough into a flat circle, place it on the wax paper, dust with flour, and roll out with your floured rolling pin. If you prefer, put some wax paper or plastic wrap on top before rolling. It may stick to the rolling pin a little, if so just dust a little more. When big enough, slip your left hand under the wax paper, turn the pie pan upside down over it all, then flip it over to get the dough into the pan. Tuck it in, trim and flute the edge. Prebake at 450 for 10-12 minutes after pricking all over with fork, or add your filling to the unbaked dough and follow directions for that kind of pie.

Katydid Apprentice

Pie Crust is one ofthe easiest things I make now with this tried and true system.

I do cheat a little though. I use one of those piecrust makers to roll it out. Its a round plasitc piece. The top and bottom zip together.

My recipe is this:

2 1/4 cups gluten-free flour ( I just happen to use Betty Hagman's Featherlite but I think any would do)

1 t xanthan gum

1 T sugsr

1/2 c Crisco Butter Flavor Shortening and 1/2 c margarine cut in pieces

Put in stand mixer and beat until course like crumbs.

Add 1 Egg, 1 T Vinegar, 2 T Ice Water

Beat until dough pulls away from sides and forms a ball on the beaters.

I lightly flour the piecrust plastic, take about 1/2 of the dough and form a disc and place between top and bottom, zip shut and roll away. These are so nice because it keeps the dough from splitting at the edges. When rolled, unzip, liightly loosen around edges and flip onto pie pan. I like to use the foil pans because they are so lightweight. You can turn it upside down on the dough, slide your hand underneath the plastic and flip all at once. This helps in positioning your dough evenly on the pan.

If you are using the small 8 1/2" foil pie pan, this recipe actually makes 3 crusts. If I have any scraps, I roll them between my fingers into little bitty pieces and freeze in a tupperware container. I collect them and then I can use them later as a crumb topping like for french apple pie. Just toss with a little brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on top.

These piecrust makers are availabe from Bakers Secret @ King Arthur's Flours or through Carol Wright mail order catalog. If anyone wants more info, feel free to pm me.

Kay

Archived