This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dexa Scan

Oisin

Oisin Newbie

Hi,

I have just been diagnosed with celiac disease although I have been suffering its symptoms for about 10 years. As I am only 32 years old does anyone know would a DEXA scan really be necessary in my case or would it only be necessary for older people ?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

buffettbride Enthusiast

My daughter is 10 and has Celiac disease (dxd just this past May) and she goes in to the peds GI at Children's Hospital in Denver (who dxd her) to discuss a DEXA scan in 6 months. They might not do one right away, but certainly at the onset of puberty. So, no, I wouldn't say 32 seems young, in fact seems appropriate and preventative considering the myriad of problems associated with Celiac--osteoperosis being one of them.

EBsMom Apprentice

I'm 44 and I just had one done. I requested the scan myself, along with lots of bloodwork. I never had big symptoms with my gluten consumption, so I really wanted to try and gauge how "sick" I really am. I told my Dr. (my primary) what I was thinking and he agreed that it was a good idea to get a baseline. So.... we did. The scan is a piece of cake, BTW. It took less than 10 minutes. I've heard of people much younger than me (or you, even) having ostopenia or osteoporosis....so I don't think you're too young to check it out.

Rho

Luisa2552 Apprentice

Is a DEXA scan the same thing as a bone density scan? My doctor has ordered one for me. I'm 41 and adopted. I do have health history on my mothers side that shows she and her mother both had early onset osteoporosis. My GI doc wonders if they both had celiac disease.

If DEXA is what I should have instead I'd like to know...

Oisin Newbie
Is a DEXA scan the same thing as a bone density scan? My doctor has ordered one for me. I'm 41 and adopted. I do have health history on my mothers side that shows she and her mother both had early onset osteoporosis. My GI doc wonders if they both had celiac disease.

If DEXA is what I should have instead I'd like to know...

Hi Sara,

Yes, the DEXA scan is the technical name for a bone density scan.

Ois

Piccolo Apprentice

Yes I would have the DEXA Scan. I noticed my shoulders start curving down in my 30's. :angry: I did nothing about it. At one point my pcp said take Oscal-D. It caused too many GI problems and I stopped it. Fast forward to now. At 58 one year ago I had a heal scan and I was -3. In December I broke my toe and I am still having problems with it. I was started on Boniva. In June 07 I had the DEXA Scan done and I measured -3.5. I do not like the curve of my back. I have only been menapause 4 years. I have been gluten free just one year.

Susan

cruelshoes Enthusiast
Hi Sara,

Yes, the DEXA scan is the technical name for a bone density scan.

Ois

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sillyyak Enthusiast

Hi

Yes please do not hestitate to have the scan. I had the scan 11 years PRIOR to being diagnosed with sprue because my mother and grandmother had early onset osteoporosis and the MD thought it would be a good idea. Well I had the scan at 22 and it showed Osteopenia. The curious thing is that no one bothered to say "Gee your 22, You're kinda young to have bone loss. Let's figure out why". 11 years later I was diagnosed with sprue and then the MD were like "Gee NOW we know why you have bone loss" DUH

Get the totally painless test.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

It wouldn't hurt to have it done. I remember having very painful bone pains pre-diagnosis. If you were sick for quite a few years and your body was missing those nutrients...it could have affected your bones. In the end it is up to you whether or not to have it done. I see it only being a help in your health.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

By all means have it done. I have osteoporosis, it was diagnosed right after my celiac was. I chose not to take meds for it and have increased my calcium intake and the amount of weight bearing excercise I do. We will see on my next scan if that alone is helping.

Luisa2552 Apprentice

Thanks for all the replys. I have scheduled a bone scan for next week. I have had intense lower back pain for about 6 months. It hurts so bad to stand more than 10 minutes or so. I haven't been to the doctor for it because I've been too busy tracking the elusive Celiac diagnosis! I figured one problem at a time. I think it's due to an old mattress. Hope the pain isn't from osteoporosis :( .

Archived