Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zarfkitty

Mystery Glutening

So I'm in the midst of a glutening as is my DD. Here's what's been different (only Friday had anything different about it):

My husband and I teach high school. Last Friday's pep-rally was in the auditorium, which is a really big room (at least as big as a big city movie theater room). We were standing at the back wall of the auditorium, keeping kids from going in and out the back door. DD had just arrived from the elem. school and was with us.

The funny "spirit game" of the week was a relay where kids had to root around with their faces in flour looking for bubble gum. There were four teams and each team had a big roasting pan full of white flour up on the stage. There were clouds of flour dust hanging in the air after the game, but only down in the stage area. One of the "victims" walked right past me to change clothes, though. I didn't see her coming or I'd have gotten waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of her way. Maybe I should have left the room completely when I realized what the game was but I thought I was far enough away.

The other possible culprit was powerade (I thought it was gatorade). I know that Coca Cola claims all powerade is gluten free according to codex. Has anyone else reacted to powerade? It was the lemon flavor.

Both situations seem to be far fetched in causing a glutening, in my estimation. Or maybe I'm being naive about the flour dust. I'd really like to hear opinions.

-Shannon

gluten-free May 17, 2007; casein-light since June 2007

Dx'ed gluten/casein intolerant by Enterolab. Family doc dx'ed "gluten sensitive" after dietary response. DQ 6 & DQ 7

8 year old daughter dx'ed gluten/casein intolerant & malabsorption by Enterolab and has been GFCL since June 12, 2007. Excellent response to diet, including growth! Tummyaches & irritability are gone! DQ 5 & DQ 6

Husband has DQ 5 (elementary, my dear Watson!). Self-diagnosed gluten-intolerant by diet response and challenge.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Flour has the ability to fly around and coat everything. I think it is possible that while talking the flour dust made it into your mouth and dd's. I have never had the poweraide.

I am so sorry you to not feel good. Hopefully, this will pass quickly.

Hez

Guest thatchickali

I don't know what to tell you because I haven'y tried powerade, but I am curious was DD means?

I don't know what to tell you because I haven'y tried powerade, but I am curious was DD means?

DD = Dear Daughter

DS = Dear Son

DW = Dear Wife

DH = Dear Hubby, Dorky Hubby, etc. ;)

Sorry to hear about the glutening zarfkitty. I was just thinking about you today and your Onigiri expertise! Feel better soon!

I can tell you that I had a similar experience last week. I was glutened Sunday. :( When this happens to me it is usually within 4 hours of coming in contact. I made all my own food and ate at home. The only thing my DH and I could come up with was a trip to the grocery store. There was flour on the floor of one of the isles and he noticed it because it was slippery. I didn't even notice it at all. I have seen the dust that is in the air when a ray of sunlight hits it just right so it wouldn't surprise me to find flour dust in the air as well and we figure I must have breathed it in. It was the worst reaction I have had yet. I had previously seen on this site somewhere someone else had this happen and I am sorry to say I was very sceptical. I owe that person an apology and I am a believer now. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Yellow Rose

27 years of misdiognoses

seziures summer of 1979 lasted 10 years had maybe a dozen in that time Dr.s never could find what was causing them blamed it on lack of sleep and maybe nutrasweet

rheumatoid arthritis May 1980

wrist joint replacement Jan 1984

fibromyalgia May 1980

insomnia since the 80's

diarrhea 1995-2000 blamed on arthritis meds

Crohn's 1998 after two operations to fix fissures caused by the diarrhea

Other symptons over the last 27 years that have been treated for symptoms not causes:

depression, anemia, constipation, tooth discoloration, tremors in hands, tingling and numbness in feet and hands, fatigue, high blood pressure due to arthritus meds, flushing in face, severe muscle pain and thinking I was going crazy thanks to Dr.'s attitudes.

After diognoses my mother tells me I have an aunt and a cousin with Celiac. Mother tested negative but thinks she is intolerant to wheat and is changing her diet.

Suspect all three of my children have it as well but still trying to convince them to go get tested.

In answer to my prayer, "Lord Please Heal My Broken Body". May 2007 Celiac antibody test positive

Matthew 7: 8 Ask and ye shall receive, Seek and ye shall find, Knock and it shall be opened unto you.

I bet it was the powerade, when i called them they said they were not gluten free but only one was, i think mountain blast, i cant remember off hand, i just know i stay clear of them cause they make me sick. I never thought powerade would have gluten when i started the lifestyle change and sure enough i got sick after drinking one so i called and they said nope not gluten free.

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

The other possible culprit was powerade (I thought it was gatorade). I know that Coca Cola claims all powerade is gluten free according to codex. Has anyone else reacted to powerade? It was the lemon flavor.

Both situations seem to be far fetched in causing a glutening, in my estimation. Or maybe I'm being naive about the flour dust. I'd really like to hear opinions.

-Shannon

If you 'thought' it was Gatorade, does that mean it came out of a punch bowl? If it was something that someone somehow served to you, that could be the culprit as well, but then there is what confused said.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

If you 'thought' it was Gatorade, does that mean it came out of a punch bowl? If it was something that someone somehow served to you, that could be the culprit as well, but then there is what confused said.

It came out of a Gatorade brand jug on the sideline of a football game. One of the players told me it was actually powerade. I didn't worry at the time because Coca Cola says all their stuff is gluten free.

gluten-free May 17, 2007; casein-light since June 2007

Dx'ed gluten/casein intolerant by Enterolab. Family doc dx'ed "gluten sensitive" after dietary response. DQ 6 & DQ 7

8 year old daughter dx'ed gluten/casein intolerant & malabsorption by Enterolab and has been GFCL since June 12, 2007. Excellent response to diet, including growth! Tummyaches & irritability are gone! DQ 5 & DQ 6

Husband has DQ 5 (elementary, my dear Watson!). Self-diagnosed gluten-intolerant by diet response and challenge.

My son drinks powerade (blue & red) all the time with no issues whatsoever. He just had his 1 year bloodwork come back completely normal (TTG) after it had been astronomical before his diagnosis.

I would bet that it was the flour in the air. I hate to even go down the baking aisle in the mainstream grocery stores anymore!

Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm

but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06

gluten-free since 1/12/06

Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)

Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006

gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)

HLA-DQ2 positive

Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times

Still eating gluten for now.

It came out of a Gatorade brand jug on the sideline of a football game. One of the players told me it was actually powerade. I didn't worry at the time because Coca Cola says all their stuff is gluten free.

In that case I would check with Powerade, just in case, and if they're gluten free, I'd be more paranoid about flour in the air.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill