This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Selling And Buying A Home

imsohungry

imsohungry Collaborator

Hi everyone,

I'm just venting...please feel free to ignore this thread. ;)

In ten days, we are supposed to close on the sale of our house.

Assuming this does occur, we need a house to move into...herein lies the problem. My hubby and I can't find a house, and we only have about a week left before we must move out of this one!

I've been on the phone, internet, phone, phone, phone.... AGGGGHHHHH! :blink: I'm turning into a total nutcase. I placed an offer today, and hopefully, will hear back tomorrow. My phone rang off the hook all day.

My son must be feeling the tension I have right now because he is pitching temper tantrums like crazy! <_< Meanwhile, I know nothing about escrow, insurance, utilities, home inspections, "points" (a bank term of some sort), etc... etc... etc.

And with my screaming one year old hanging onto me, I can't think a complete thought. So, here I am, venting to you guys.

When we do find a home, it better be our "dream home" because I never want to go through this again!

Well, that's about it. I've got to find out the price of storage units, U-Hauls, and apartments in case we don't find a house this week. :huh:

Blessings to all of you. Sanity to me. -Julie :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Julie,

If it's any consolation, I'm going through the same thing (only minus the young children--my 2 are grown :P ).

We're in the thick of negotiations with a serious buyer for our (8th) house. If a deal is made, we will have to be out by the end of next month. We have only just started looking for # 9 because the market here is so quiet that we hadn't had much action on this house.

So, I will be thinking about you and your family, and hope that things go as smoothly as possible. :) Vent away!

As for me, I should have my head examined for consenting to go through this yet again :lol:

imsohungry Collaborator
Hi Julie,

If it's any consolation, I'm going through the same thing (only minus the young children--my 2 are grown :P ).

We're in the thick of negotiations with a serious buyer for our (8th) house. If a deal is made, we will have to be out by the end of next month. We have only just started looking for # 9 because the market here is so quiet that we hadn't had much action on this house.

So, I will be thinking about you and your family, and hope that things go as smoothly as possible. :) Vent away!

As for me, I should have my head examined for consenting to go through this yet again :lol:

Oh Patti, (((Hugs))) The first hurdle for us was finding a buyer....like you said, it has been a slow market. I honestly thought that finding a home would be the easy part!

I'm so nieve. Our current house is the first home in my name (makes sense since I have lived in college dorms for so many years). I never expected this whirlwind of questions that I do not know the answer to.

I'm sitting here in awe that you have done this nine times!!! :o And yet, you seem so sane. :P Does it get easier with each house?

Because of my health problems and for financial reasons, we need to downsize. Our problem has been finding a nice home within our budget in a safe and reasonably well-maintained neighborhood. It's like finding a needle in a haystack!

I'll keep your family in my thoughts and prayers too.

Blessings and sanity to YOU and me! -Julie ;)

kevieb Newbie

we have our house for sale right now, too-----it is so stressfull for me to try and keep it clean with 7 kids in the house. there are a zillion houses for sale in our little town.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular
Oh Patti, (((Hugs))) The first hurdle for us was finding a buyer....like you said, it has been a slow market. I honestly thought that finding a home would be the easy part!

I'm so nieve. Our current house is the first home in my name (makes sense since I have lived in college dorms for so many years). I never expected this whirlwind of questions that I do not know the answer to.

I'm sitting here in awe that you have done this nine times!!! :o And yet, you seem so sane. :P Does it get easier with each house?

Because of my health problems and for financial reasons, we need to downsize. Our problem has been finding a nice home within our budget in a safe and reasonably well-maintained neighborhood. It's like finding a needle in a haystack!

I'll keep your family in my thoughts and prayers too.

Blessings and sanity to YOU and me! -Julie ;)

Julie-I understand, currently John and I rent....but rent is high and we are looking for a home of our own. We are getting married in a few weeks and it is time for a "home". Well all the ones in our price range that will fit our needs are in the worst areas. I just wish it was easier. I did hear they were lowering the interest rates today...I know in our area the market is also tight...not much selling.

little d Enthusiast

Julie a word of advice this is spoken for experiance don't get everything split, I'm talking about keeping the insurance and taxes for the house seperate from your morgage payments. Get a fixed rate combine your taxes and house insurance with your house payments and get one morgage not an 80- 20 split. When I got my house that I am currantly in the process of selling myself, I thought that I could do this, but I have proved that I can't I am not disaplined enough with my money to do it so we are going back into an apartment after having our house for almost 3yrs. Yes I am upset with myself for this now but you only learn from your mistakes. I wanted to be a grown up enough to handle my own affairs without the help of my family who knows alot about the market and buying and selling of houses. If we can manage to get the house sold we have been told that will look good on our credit, if it does then we will rent for a few years and then attempt to buy another house with the help of our family. So the best of luck in your search of buying your new home.

donna

Michi8 Contributor

Julie, I hope that you are able to find a new home quickly. In the meantime, you will make it through this one way or another.

Have you considered using a moving company that packs in containers? Some offer a "U-Pack" solution Open Original Shared Link (this isn't the only company that offers this option) where they drop off a container, you fill it (or you can pay to have them fill it for an extra cost ), and then they move and/or store it until you are ready to move into your new home.

We did this with our last move. We had to sell our old house quickly and find a new home in a new city within little time (the stress of that house hunt was awful.) The move-in date did not line up for us, and we had to spend 5 weeks living with family until we had possession of our new home. The moving company kept our stuff in the container...it was simply lifted off the truck and kept in their storage yard. Then they delivered the container when we were in our new home.

Michelle

Hi everyone,

I'm just venting...please feel free to ignore this thread. ;)

In ten days, we are supposed to close on the sale of our house.

Assuming this does occur, we need a house to move into...herein lies the problem. My hubby and I can't find a house, and we only have about a week left before we must move out of this one!

I've been on the phone, internet, phone, phone, phone.... AGGGGHHHHH! :blink: I'm turning into a total nutcase. I placed an offer today, and hopefully, will hear back tomorrow. My phone rang off the hook all day.

My son must be feeling the tension I have right now because he is pitching temper tantrums like crazy! <_< Meanwhile, I know nothing about escrow, insurance, utilities, home inspections, "points" (a bank term of some sort), etc... etc... etc.

And with my screaming one year old hanging onto me, I can't think a complete thought. So, here I am, venting to you guys.

When we do find a home, it better be our "dream home" because I never want to go through this again!

Well, that's about it. I've got to find out the price of storage units, U-Hauls, and apartments in case we don't find a house this week. :huh:

Blessings to all of you. Sanity to me. -Julie :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

imsohungry Collaborator
Julie, I hope that you are able to find a new home quickly. In the meantime, you will make it through this one way or another.

Have you considered using a moving company that packs in containers? Some offer a "U-Pack" solution Open Original Shared Link (this isn't the only company that offers this option) where they drop off a container, you fill it (or you can pay to have them fill it for an extra cost ), and then they move and/or store it until you are ready to move into your new home.

We did this with our last move. We had to sell our old house quickly and find a new home in a new city within little time (the stress of that house hunt was awful.) The move-in date did not line up for us, and we had to spend 5 weeks living with family until we had possession of our new home. The moving company kept our stuff in the container...it was simply lifted off the truck and kept in their storage yard. Then they delivered the container when we were in our new home.

Michelle

Thank you so much for the info. I looked up a company called "pods" that is basically the same thing as UPack. Pods does not come to my area, but I will try Upack too! B)

Thank you for the support and advice Donna :) ...I tell you, I'm learning a lot in this process.

Good luck manda! I hope you and John find your dream home. Congratulations on the wedding! Blessings. :wub:

Kevieb, 7 children and your house is on the market???!!!!! Boy, do I admire you B) My son, God love him, is acting terrible right now. I can't blame him though; he feels our tension...and believe me, if I wasn't an adult I'd be pitching a temper tantrum right beside him! :rolleyes: Best wishes on selling your home! You are right, there are about a zillion homes for sale in my little area too. (the builders are knocking down all the trees in town!) :unsure:

Hang in there everyone! -Julie :blink:

Cam's Mom Contributor

Hi!

Realtor here!! Buying and selling a home is one of the most (or should I say 2 of the most) stressful things in life. I know this because I do it daily.

Julie - I can't believe that your Realtor left you in a situation where you do not have somewhere to go. Normally I would want to make a deal contingent on the seller finding suitable housing. You should ask your Realtor if he/she knows of any rentals available in your area. Right now the market is in such rough shape that there are many vacant, unsold properties that are looking to rent to defer the carrying costs, especially moving into the colder months. Your Realtor really should be backing you up and helping you find a place to go.

Also, have you explored the possibility of trying to postpone the closing, even if just by a couple of weeks to try to give yourselves some more time? Wish I could be of more help - it really is a crazy time in the housing market!

Good luck to those of you in this boat - and I'd be happy to try to answer any questions if I can.

Best of luck,

barb

Archived