This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Eating Out In Chicago

2wheels4eyes

2wheels4eyes Explorer

Guys... I'm starving. I'm in Hyde Park for the fall studying at the U of C on an exchange (from the highly gluten-free-friendly Twin Cities) and at a total loss for where to eat. I can't find any tips on the blogs, boards, etc.

Any suggestions for on- and off-campus dining are very very much appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CtheCeliac Rookie

It seems like I read somewhere that Uno's now has a gluten free menu. The sad part is they don't have a gluten-free pizza. You may contact them to check it out and verify to see what's on their gluten-free menu.

rock on Apprentice

look up the post "Abc 7 In Chicago Did A Segment On gluten-free And Celiac!" in the publicity section.

it's a start....

kenlove Rising Star

I grew up in Hyde park although I've been away from there for 30 years. When I was back last year i noticed the coop had some gluten-free things although not much. There are a few stonefish restaurants in the burbs (Glenview & Skokie come to mind) which have gluten-free menus. Same outfit that owns Outback and Roys. Find my brother-in-law Stan Mishima at the co-op, usually the produce section, who may have an idea where to go. Back in the 60s on campus there were many more choices.

Ken

Guys... I'm starving. I'm in Hyde Park for the fall studying at the U of C on an exchange (from the highly gluten-free-friendly Twin Cities) and at a total loss for where to eat. I can't find any tips on the blogs, boards, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
hlm34 Apprentice

i dont know about hyde park. but in Downtown chicago - there are lots of places -

PF Changs

Ben Pao

Big Bowl

Wildfire

Vinci

BW3s

Adobo Grill

Carnivale

Webber Grill

Maggianos

All of these have gluten free menus or will make items gluten free for you. Also, Lou Malnatis sells a crustless pizza that is gluten free.

MNBeth Explorer
look up the post "Abc 7 In Chicago Did A Segment On gluten-free And Celiac!" in the publicity section.

it's a start....

I think that's where I saw Da Luciano featured. It's in the West Suburbs, but the owners have 4 kids who have celiac, so they specialize in gluten-free - pastas, breads, the whole shebang. I'm a Minnesotan, too, but grew up in the Chicago area and hope to get there sometime when I'm down to visit.

The details:

Da Luciano

8343 W. Grand Ave., River Grove

708-453-1000

dionnek Enthusiast

are any of these places near O'Hare? I will be staying at the Hyatt O'Hare and won't have a car. I am going for a conference and am afraid I won't be able to eat (since the hotel is providing breakfast/lunch, which will of course be all glutenous foods!). :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

alamaz Collaborator

DaLuciano's is fairly close the O'Hare but you need a way to get there and back. Cabs are not plentiful in that area. The hotel might have a shuttle or something.

Motorboater Explorer
are any of these places near O'Hare? I will be staying at the Hyatt O'Hare and won't have a car. I am going for a conference and am afraid I won't be able to eat (since the hotel is providing breakfast/lunch, which will of course be all glutenous foods!). :(

I know a place just north of the airport on Manheim called Cafe La Cave.........it's an "upscale" place that I know would accommodate cooking a dinner any way you like. But it's not cheap.........I don't know of anything else up that way, I'd bring some salad dressing and tuna or chicken in a pouch and order a plain salad somewhere.............Good Luck

Pam

• 4 weeks later...
DarlingMedusa Newbie

You'll have to let me know what you find- I work at UofC and JUST got diagnosed- office is supposed to have a big lunch on Wednesday!

Archived