Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jkmunchkin

When To Get Another Endoscopy?

I have been diagnosed for about 2 1/2 years now and had follow up blood tests after 6 months and a follow up endoscopy last December (so a 1 1/2 after being diagnosed). My question is, when should I have another endoscopy?

I need to find another GI, because the doctor I was going to went on maternity leave and never came back, so I don't really have a doctor to ask.

Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy

Inflamed stomach lining

Gluten free since July 6, 2005

Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Jillian,

I'm a little confused, so forgive me, but is refractory sprue a concern? If so, I'd think that if you're still feeling bad, maybe give it a few more months before an endoscopy, but if you're feeling better, maybe you don't need another endoscopy? I've never been conclusively dx'd except by my own body and had an endoscopy just recently that was completely covered by my insurance, because I'd already exceeded the out-of-pocket cap. After 2 years of being gluten-free and over 8 being gluten-light, it came back negative, which was a great relief to me. I'm still staying gluten-free, but if insurance coverage is a concern, perhaps now would be the time...?

Margaret

Join eNewsletter

The University of Chicago celiac disease program does not recommend a repeat endoscopy: http://www.celiacdisease.net/assets/pdf/celiac disease...lowUpTests7.pdf

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Join eNewsletter

Thanks guys.

I do have both blood and biopsy confirmed celiac. And I feel 100% better. I just wasn't sure if I should get a follow up endoscopy because when I was diagnosed I had severe damage to my intestine. I went to one of GI's at Columbia who practices with Dr. Green and she said it was one of the worst she had seen.

When I had my endoscopy last year she said that the villi were definately growing back and it looked better, but because I started off so bad I still had villi that were flat and my intestine wasn't all better yet. So I didn't know if I should make an appointment for an endoscopy soon, which would be a year from my last one.

Oh, and fortunately (knock on wood) I have really good insurance so that is not a concern.

Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy

Inflamed stomach lining

Gluten free since July 6, 2005

Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

Join eNewsletter

my gi doctor wants to do another endoscopy on me, i guess to make sure that the poyl i have didnt grow or mit and just to see how my stomach is doing, what happends if she finds out that my stomach isnt healing like it should? im just wondering because sooner or later she wants to go back in there for the pyolp and i am just wondering if she finds more plopys or sees that my stomach isnt healing at all,

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter