This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Now!

peaches102984

peaches102984 Rookie

Hi all,

This is becoming too much.....my husband had his endo. today, and he is not very happy. You see the doc. told him that he don't see celiac disease as the answer for these last 4 years of diarrhea! I told him I am at a loss of words. They took biopsies and said that might rule out something. But over all colon normal!??? He is upset and says this makes him feel more like a hypochondriac. The doc. said that my husband smoking (& not cigarettes) could have something to with it. I just don't see this at all. He usually has to smoke to relax from the cramps and frequent diarrhea! I also don't get when he don't eat gluten for a 2 week stretch he feels better? He says its not a huge difference. Regarding the procedure....he was combative (& he is a large man). He hit the anast. then I think 2 nurses. He bit his lip during the procedure also. Its a bad day and bad time I don't know what do do anymore. Anyone out there know what my husband is experiencing? :o:huh::(

Casey

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hathor Contributor

Did he have an endoscopy or a colonoscopy? Your reference to their finding a normal colon -- plus your husband's biting his lip during the procedure (impossible with a tube down your throat I would think) -- makes it sound like the latter. A colonoscopy cannot diagnose celiac, because the damage is to the little intestine, not the colon.

Even assuming an endoscopy was done, they can't tell be simply looking unless the damage is really bad. They have to look at the biopsied tissue under a microscope, which apparently hasn't happened yet.

It is also possible to have a false negative. The damage may be missed or not enough damage may have occurred yet. If he feels better with not eating gluten, that is diagnostic right there.

How long has your husband gone without gluten? One has to be eating it for the endoscopy to be determinative.

peaches102984 Rookie

Thank you for replying.

We have been eating a gluten free diet but we have also have cheated. The night before his doctors appt. which was wed. the 13th we ate pizza, then after the appt. we ate sholotskys (Don't know how its spelled.). Last night (the night after the appt.) we had mcdonalds. I know that when he eats gluten he has to go to the bathroom within about 20 mins if not sooner from eating it and the cramps are well are right after usually. The doc just don't think that celiac is the answer and I have been on the internet for the last 3 hours trying to find anything between smoking pot and diarrhea. I am finding nothing. We both don't understand why he would say his diarrhea is from pot we both have smoked for along time and I don't see why his body would just mimic the symptoms of a celiac. If he don't smoke he is miserable. I would much rather him smoke than be out of it from prescription medication. Which also causes more deaths than pot. I don't like this and I don't know what else to do. Other than wait for the biopsies to come back and pray they show what the naked eye couldn't see.

Casey

kbtoyssni Contributor

If you've been mostly gluten-free for the past few months, you probably won't get a positive biopsy. You have to be eating about three slides of bread for several months to even hope to get a positive. And scopes are notorious for false negatives. They only biopsy a few places in the intestine and those places may or may not be the ones that show damage. I would try the diet - you have nothing to lose. And if your husband does have celiac, then I think a negative is a good thing. It means he doesn't have a lot of damage yet. You could try enterolab if you want a more official diagnosis than dietary response.

neesee Apprentice

Dh worked with a man whose dr. told him the same thing about pot. He had miserable stomach and intestinal problems. His dr. explained that because pot is not regulated by the government, the growers spary it with all sorts of pesticides and insecticedes.When it is smoked, it is injested and poisons the digestive system.

neesee

peaches102984 Rookie

Thanks you all for replying.

Now my husband is leaning toward a really severe case of IBS can anyone relate? As far as the pot. The doc said that because he was been smoking soo much and for so long it has been know to give one diarrhea and stomach pains. I said I am shocked and don't understand? Because his stomach cramps have been sooo bad that pot seemed to be the only pain relief he had gotten in some hours if not days. I do understand about the different pesticides and all, but I just don't believe that pot is the reason for his stomach problems. I am pretty gullable but not that gullable. I even tryed to research it, and the only thing I seemed to come up with....was people telling there storys about how they smoke to ease the pain from MS or what not. I am not trying to be a pot activist or anything....I just know from seeing it with my own eyes pot is not the reason for my husband stomach cramps or diarrhea. He don't wanna be the gluten-free diet if he don't have to be. He said its the hardest diet to be on. Which it is pretty difficult. But what if all this is just false negatives or what if it is really a server case of IBS?

If anyone can relate or talk to me please do I am up for discussion I guess.

Thanks

Casey

babygirl1234 Rookie

have him try being gluten-free and if he doesnt get D from it then he has his answer

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

peaches102984 Rookie

Thanks all for replying. Unfortunatly He will not do the gluten-free diet unless that is what the doc. says is wrong. I am not having a very good day with my husband today. He is being selfish. I search for info on IBS and Celiac and show him and he ignores me then the next day he says its because his stomach hurt that is why he didn't listen. He don't seem to be doing anything to better himself. He drank last night a bottle of Paul Masson (brandy) with our roommate. My 3 year old little girl has to listen to him complain all the time "my stomach hurts" and she does it to now more than ever. I went for along time thinking that he was lieing. Now its been about a year since I have tried a different approach with all this by looking the info up my self and showing him as I stated above and this morning he told me that no one made me do it and that I could stop. He says that he will just take the IBS meds and hope they work. I just don't now what to do I am tired inside and tired of him telling me he hurts and isnt changing his daily habits to better himself.

Casey

babygirl1234 Rookie

he needs to listen because if he doesnt he'll never heal, and he'll be even sick then he is now, he isnt going his body any good by ingoring the problem. has the doctor done a endorscopy? and a biopsy? and did they do a celica panel?

• 4 weeks later...
anaclare Newbie

I completely understand - my husband had a colonoscopy, and that docotr decided he didn't have celiac - a screwed up colon, which (of course) had no cause! But, he feels so much better not eating gluten, it is hard to rule out celiac. So - see if you can get him to focus on the symtoms, not the diagnosis.

joystar6 Newbie

I

Archived