Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bluejeangirl

A Confessed Cookie Smellaholic

There is something I'm curious about and wonder if I could get some feedback. Whenever someone in my household brings home regular bakery or homemade cookies I get very reminisant of the taste and I always pick it up and smell them. They still smell so wonderful to me.

This time of year my husband will get cookies as gifts. People will bring in their homemade favorites. I'll take in a big whiff trying to smell what they probably taste like. Its pretty pathetic standing there smelling cookies :P

My question is, is this safe to do. ? Does anyone else do this ? I usually wash my hands after. I understand why they make candles that smell like sugar cookies. ;)

Thanks, Gail

Gluten Free since Jan. 06

Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602

Lactose intolerant.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I love the smell of baked goods, gluten free or not. And I love walking down the bakery aisle in the grocery store for the smell. I've never had a problem with it, and since I'm not walking by where they're baking and breathing in flour, I don't see a problem with it.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Join eNewsletter

I'm sitting here laughing :D as I read your post because I smell my husband's food all the time! At first he thought I was nuts, but I told him that for me, smelling the delicious smells of my old favorite foods makes me almost feel like I am having some myself. Pathetic, I know...

:rolleyes: Glade makes scented candles, vanilla scent, that smell like cookies. I burn them all the time!

• Gluten-free since 6/12/07
  • Positive Blood Test
  • Sjogren's Syndrome
  • DH
  • HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,8) DQ2 and DQ8

Join eNewsletter

I am amazed at how many people do this! I first did this when I was pregnant with my last child 12 years ago. I am a type 1 diabetic and the sugar issues really kick in when I am pregnant. My children are 27, 22, and 12 so there is an age span here. Anyway, I would crave Burger King whoppers and mint ice cream so bad that I would buy them and make the older two girls eat them and...gosh..I'm embarrassed to say this...I would smell their breath! :lol: Smelling food is about the only food-related pleasure we have left that is normal and doesn't get us into trouble. My kids and husband laughed at my requests all those years ago but they were nice enough to humor me and still laugh and tell stories about it today so they would really get a kick out of this thread topic.

Join eNewsletter

Hello Gail,

It doesn't matter if you smell it. Its safe.

I love reading about cookies, and of course I love to read about cooking and eating. Cookies make wonderful Thank You gifts, birthday gifts, shower gifts, Get Well gifts. You've spent the time and effort to bake your delicious homemade cookie gifts, now it's time to package them!if You want how to make cookie gifts and homemade cookie this site will give the more information about homemade cookie.

If you have cable or dish t.v., the Cooking Network is amazing! Wouldn't it be great if they could devote a time slot to cooking gluten/lactose free?

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter