Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

buffettbride

School-sponsored Breakfast Suggestions

So, my daughter made the principal's honor roll at school. It's quite a special achievement at her school, and for her personally.

The principal rewards all the kids who make the honor roll with a pancake breakfast.

Panic. Panic. Panic. Panic.

I'm trying to figure out how to make this work without just making her breakfast and sending it in (to her that is no more special than packing her lunch every day).

This is my thought so far:

1. Premake gluten-free pancake batter
  2. Send in gluten-free breakfast sausage
  3. Send in gluten-free griddle from home
  4. Explain risks of CC (there are 2 other Celiacs at school so she is very understanding)
  5. Principal prepares premade batter/sausage on dedicated griddle
  6. Enjoy!

Any other suggestions on making this easy, yet special?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Congratulations on your daughters academic success!

If it were me....I would send a premade breakfast similar to those being served to the rest of the students. All need be done is to heat it up in a micro. Her breakfast should be simlar to the others.

Her presence at the breakfast is the honor, not the meal. ;):)

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

Congratulations on your daughters academic success!

If it were me....I would send a premade breakfast similar to those being served to the rest of the students. All need be done is to heat it up in a micro. Her breakfast should be simlar to the others.

Here presence at the breakfast is the honor, not the meal. ;):)

That was my first thought as well, but I think she really wants her principal to cook it for her. :rolleyes: I think if she's the only Celiac there then I'll just premake everything (it's pancakes and sausage so super easy). But, there's 2 other Celiacs at school so if they made the honor roll, I might talk to those parents and see what they are going to do or have done in the past. It is a small school--only 285 students.

Join eNewsletter

That is great your daughter made honors.

I really liked your suggestions. I would suggest talking to the other two celiac's parents and just see how things worked out for them. Good luck!

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

Join eNewsletter

In that case, why don't you call the principal and ask his thoughts. Perhaps, he will volunteer to cook and then you can insure safe precautions.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

Could you go along to help cook the breakfast and make sure nothing gets contaminated? The principle could do the cooking, and you'd just be there to supervise?

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Join eNewsletter

Could you go along to help cook the breakfast and make sure nothing gets contaminated? The principle could do the cooking, and you'd just be there to supervise?

I'm considering that option as well. Right after the breakfast she is not going to school, but to a dress rehearsal/performance for a play she is in with a local theater company so I might just be there anyway.

Join eNewsletter

CONGRATS TO YOUR DAUGHTER!!!! IT MIGHT JUST MAKE IT MORE SPECIAL if Mom showed up"""" SURPRISE" that way you could sorta supervise the cooking. Our kids alway love it when we show up at school for something. Don't forget a pancake turner also!!!! Also maybe you could eat with her..

mamaw

Join eNewsletter

Don't know how many kids are involved and if you want to even do this . . . but gluten-free pancakes are great and virtually indistiguishable from the regular. Most sausage is gluten-free, too. Would your pricipal be willing to make it an entirely gluten-free breakfast?

And Yay for your smart (gluten-free) cookie making the honor roll!

Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

animal0028.gif

Join eNewsletter

Don't know how many kids are involved and if you want to even do this . . . but gluten-free pancakes are great and virtually indistiguishable from the regular. Most sausage is gluten-free, too. Would your pricipal be willing to make it an entirely gluten-free breakfast?

And Yay for your smart (gluten-free) cookie making the honor roll!

It might be few enough students to do that. For some reason I remember last year was around 30 students or so? They only have honor roll for grades 4-8. With only 285 at the entire school and about 10% of 4-8 graders making the honor roll, 30 is on the high side.

I'm just wondering how much Pamela's mix I'd need. I can get the big bag for $12.99, just don't know how many I'd need. I think the principal might go for it, and the pancakes really are indistinguishable from regular pancakes (we served them at her slumber party birthday and everyone gobbled them up).

Sausage is the easy part. For sure.

Join eNewsletter

CONGRATS TO YOUR DAUGHTER!!!! IT MIGHT JUST MAKE IT MORE SPECIAL if Mom showed up"""" SURPRISE" that way you could sorta supervise the cooking. Our kids alway love it when we show up at school for something. Don't forget a pancake turner also!!!! Also maybe you could eat with her..

mamaw

Spatula. Check.

I'll ask her how she feels about me being there. I don't know if I can stay away. Other people cooking for her freaks me out. :o

Join eNewsletter

A few times now, I've made an entire bag of Pamela's pancakes at once (for freezing.) I believe the regular-sized bag made an average of 30 pancakes. So if each kid had 2, then two bags may be enough?

-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007

--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.

--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.

--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

Join eNewsletter

"Don't know how many kids are involved and if you want to even do this . . . but gluten-free pancakes are great and virtually indistiguishable from the regular. Most sausage is gluten-free, too. Would your pricipal be willing to make it an entirely gluten-free breakfast?"

I agree -I'm new to all this. Maybe uneralistic - but really.... I think the reward should be something all the kids can have! If it were a religious issue (in our area) they'd bend over backwards.

Join eNewsletter

If they can't have all-gluten-free pancakes (and the normal griddles and turners still wouldn't be safe, by the way) and your daughter isn't thrilled at the idea of Mom crashing the party you could always sneak in the back and 'supervise' the principal and then sneak back around front to pick her up for the rehearsal.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Join eNewsletter

I haven't talked to the principal yet about the full-on gluten-free breakfast for everyone, but I did get clearance from my dear daughter to volunteer at the event to ensure her meal isn't CCd. At minimum, I'll make hers with equipment I bring from home.

I'd LOVE to see everyone enjoy a gluten-free breakfast (I doubt they'd even know it was gluten-free), but I'm prepared for the principal to be skeptical. I talk with the principal tomorrow so we'll see how it goes!

Join eNewsletter

I haven't talked to the principal yet about the full-on gluten-free breakfast for everyone, but I did get clearance from my dear daughter to volunteer at the event to ensure her meal isn't CCd. At minimum, I'll make hers with equipment I bring from home.

I'd LOVE to see everyone enjoy a gluten-free breakfast (I doubt they'd even know it was gluten-free), but I'm prepared for the principal to be skeptical. I talk with the principal tomorrow so we'll see how it goes!

Bring him a pancake! Kinda, win him over, you know? I like pancake cream cheese/honey sammiches, myself..... Might be a little too outlandish.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Join eNewsletter

I am anxiously awaiting the "news from the principal"

and if he dont "go for it" I think we should ALL bombard his email with requests he participate in the gluten-free breakfast! :lol: numbers will overwhelm him and he will see its not "just one kid" going thru this......

All for one, one for all!

Just my .00000002 cents worth

If I knew what I was doing years ago I would have half a clue today!

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter