Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

writerspice

Need Help Figuring Out Thyroid Results

Hi everyone,

Have been off gluten for about a year now, with a bit of a summer relapse (boy, did I feel like crap!), but only now taking it really seriously. Right now I'm trying to figure out my ongoing thyroid problems... Just got some lab results back and am wondering if anyone can comment. I really can't figure them out and am unsure what to do. While my TSH is high, my Free T4 looks normalish and the only symptom I seem to have is constipation.

TSH: 6.76 (ref. range .35 to 5.00 mU/L)

Free T4: 12 (10 to 20 pmol/L)

Also had antibodies checked back in the summer (with another test scheduled for January) and they were:

Thyroid Peroxidase AB: 157 IU/mL (ref range: <60 = negative, 60-100 = equivical, >100 = positive)

Thyroglobulin AB: 103 IU/mL (same ref range as above)

I was taking Eltroxin since 2003 but went off it this summer because my prolactin levels were consistantly high - in the mid to low 20s (13 in the last bloodwork) - and my body seemed to be in overdrive. Am now trying to figure out what this suggests while also looking for ways to reduce my TSH without screwing everything else up...

Any thoughts are so appreciated.

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It looks like you probably have Hashi's, which is an autoimmune disease. Basically, your body is attacking your thyroid. You need to start on thyroid meds in order to suppress your thyroid and, subsequently, the antibodies in order to prevent any further damage. Your TSH needs to be around 0 (yes, zero) in order to have the antibodies fully suppressed. Just so you know, Hashi's can cause swings between hypoT and hyperT, which may be why your body feet like it was in overdrive.

Your TSH is high, although TSH really isn't the gold standard most docs want to make it out to be. It has its uses tho. Unfortunately, TSH can be affected by the time of day the test was done, medications, illnesses, and even the time the test was done during your menstrual cycle.

Your FT4 is low. Yet another reason to be on supplementation. Talk to your doc about testing your FT3 as well. That's the active thyroid hormone and is really more important than the FT4. Most folks feel best when their FreeTs are in the upper 1/2 to upper 1/3 of the range.

Hope this helps! :)

Hi everyone,

Have been off gluten for about a year now, with a bit of a summer relapse (boy, did I feel like crap!), but only now taking it really seriously. Right now I'm trying to figure out my ongoing thyroid problems... Just got some lab results back and am wondering if anyone can comment. I really can't figure them out and am unsure what to do. While my TSH is high, my Free T4 looks normalish and the only symptom I seem to have is constipation.

TSH: 6.76 (ref. range .35 to 5.00 mU/L)

Free T4: 12 (10 to 20 pmol/L)

Also had antibodies checked back in the summer (with another test scheduled for January) and they were:

Thyroid Peroxidase AB: 157 IU/mL (ref range: <60 = negative, 60-100 = equivical, >100 = positive)

Thyroglobulin AB: 103 IU/mL (same ref range as above)

I was taking Eltroxin since 2003 but went off it this summer because my prolactin levels were consistantly high - in the mid to low 20s (13 in the last bloodwork) - and my body seemed to be in overdrive. Am now trying to figure out what this suggests while also looking for ways to reduce my TSH without screwing everything else up...

Any thoughts are so appreciated.

Thanks.

2/05 GERD

3/07 Multinodular goiter (suspicious for follicular neoplasm as of 11/07)

5/07 Iron, vit D, and B vit deficiencies (all of them), but particularly B1, B5, B12 and folate

6/07 Elevated mercury, subclinical hypothyroid, adrenal fatigue, CFS

9/07 Endo/Colonoscopy - neg biopsy (only took 2 samples), diverticulosis, benign polyps

10/07 PCOS (cysts in breasts, ovaries and cervix)

10/07 Major reaction to wheat challenge. Minor reactions to corn, dairy, barley, and refined sugar

2/08 Candida (per Doctor's Data)

3/08 Lyme disease (clinical dx), began tx

3/08 Intradermal allergy testing - high for wheat, beef, pork, tuna, and corn - moderate for almonds, chicken, coffee, eggs, garlic, gluten, green peas, milk, rice, soy, sugar, tomatoes, green peppers, celery, sesame, garbanzo, mushroom, cabbage, strawberries, and spinach.

4/08 Began tx for babs and bart

4/08 Slightly elevated titres for EBV and HHV-6. IgG1 deficiency.

"What doesn't kill us makes us stronger... and stranger."

It is sounds like Hashimotos hypothyroidism. Your antibodies are high and should be below 20 not 60. Also the TSH range your doc is using is several years outdated. The range should be between .3-3. Over 2 can cause hypo problems. You are def. hypo. I urge you to go to Dr.Lowe.com and Stopthethyroidmadness to read more and get on a more helpful med. Armour is the best. Dr.Lowe and Dr. Gina Honeyman are my thyroid doctors. The info. on the site is eye opening. It is common for a TSh to be at zero when on meds. Mine is and my doctors say this is fine. Feel free to ask me any questions as I have Hashis myself.

You have Hashimotos and you need that TSH to be 0 to suppress the Antibody attacks and damage. Your FT4 is too low - it should be midrange. And was Free T3 tested ? FT3 is the energy ...and if you don't convert T4 to T3 - then you don't get well.

I wasn't sure what Eltroxin was so looked it up.

http://www.medsafe.govt.nz/Consumers/cmi/e/Eltroxin.htm

Its a T4 med. Have you tried a combination of T4 and T3 meds together ? Or Armour ?

Why is your prolactin high ? Have you been tested for Pituitary disorders ? Have you had a Pituitary MRI done with and without contrast ? Don't wish to worry you but one cause of high Prolactin is a Pituitary tumour. You need the contrast dye to detect the small tumours..

http://www.pituitary.org/

http://www.pituitary.org/faq/

All the best. change Drs ...

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

Georgie,

Could you explain the FT3 to me. I get it tested every 6 months with everything else. Where should it be? I wonder if I have an issue converting and maybe that is why I still have hypo symptoms. I take 175mg of cytomel a day and am adding 12 mg every 2 weeks. My antibodies have come down from 765 to 199, but still high.

Georgie,

Could you explain the FT3 to me. I get it tested every 6 months with everything else. Where should it be? I wonder if I have an issue converting and maybe that is why I still have hypo symptoms. I take 175mg of cytomel a day and am adding 12 mg every 2 weeks. My antibodies have come down from 765 to 199, but still high.

Cytomel IS T3 - so doesn't need converting to show up as Free T3 on a blood test. Most HypoT people seem to feel best when FT3 sits at the top or slightly over the top of the high normal range of your blood test. 175 mg Cytomel is a LOT of T3 - is it slow release at all ? The fact that your antibodies are coming down is good but am surprised you need so much but this raises the question that I have also - how do Celiacs absorb their meds ? Do we absorb medications the same as non Celiacs ? I am Folate Anemic and need 10x the normal dose to be well and keep my blood tests normal. So .... your high dose Cytomel may be related to your Celiac. Do you take any T4 meds at all ? Some people find they need a small amount of T4 as well as the T3. The goal is to remove HypoT symptoms, keep the blood tests mid range or higher, and get Antibodies to 0.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

Iam on 390mgs Armour ( 6 and 1/2 grains) My TSH is <0.01 FT3 a titch over the top of the range and FT4 well up in the range. Your FT4 is way too low

I agree with the others with Hashi's you need TSH suppressed as TSH feeds the antibodies attack

I was previously on 300mcgs thyroxine so am looking forward to maybe reducing my Armour once I get this Coeliac stuff well and truly sorted.

I believe now I've had major absoprtion porblems due to un-Dx'd Coeliac

Diagnosed Eczema 1964 aged 16 but with what I know now from research am sure it was Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Diagnosed Irritable Bowel Syndrome 1969 at age 21 but had it from age of 12 many painful episodes over the years( was probably Coeliac all along)

Diagnosed Hashimoto's Disease/Hypothyroid November 1994

Low B12 November 2006

Low B12 (still!) July 2007 Docs are happy with results just above low end of normal..*sigh*....still need to resolve it

Gluten free since October 2006 after failing gluten challenge

Diagnosed Hiatus Hernia and Los Angeles Grade A reflux via endoscopy October 2007

Diagnosed with Coeliac Disease via same endoscopy / biopsy October 2007 (took them long enough!) despite being gluten-free damage still evident although had been taking iron tablets for iron deficiency without realizing they contained gluten. Subsequent blood tests show :Positive Anti-Gliadin IgA EIA antibodies, Positive Endomysial antibodies ,Positive tTG IgA antibodies of 300 ("normal" range 0-15)

Auto-immune disease goes back at least 5 generations in my family (and counting) Mainly Type 1 diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis.

Number 1 Son has Type 1 diabetes ..diagnosed March 2007 at age 31, number 2 son aged 24 is A/I disease free so far ,daughter has lichen planus ( similar to psoriasis) diagnosed 2003 at age 17 am now wondering if it is DH but with flippancy of the young she won't get any testing done