• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Kathy'sUnicorns

Company Christmas Party

Rate this topic

Not sure if I am going to go or not. It is at the Marriot Convention Center (which I guess is part of the hotel). I was planning on going but then I started thinking of what they had last year. It is in a different hotel so the food may be different but it will probably be basically the same. Based on last years food I would now be able to eat cheese and fruit and some meat since I wouldn't know what was in everthing else.

Do you think I should just go and just eat things (if anything) I can eat and know there is nothing in or stay home and be safte?

Any and all advice is appreciated!

There is no reason to skip the party just because of the food. Either eat before you go or bring your own meal along. I go to enjoy the company.

I am attending my company party to enjoy everyone's company. I plan to bring my own meal.

ditto what phyllis said - holiday parties are about the people, so eat ahead of time or bring food and go to socialize (and network - work holiday parties are as much about staying up in the work situation as the people).

I would ask your HR department for the contact information for banquet manager at the hotel. Then I would call that person and ask if they are able to accommodate special diets. The banquet staff may be able to prepare you a safe plate and hold it for you until you get there. I was able to attend our last service awards dinner, and this worked for me. You won't know if you don't ask. :)

If they are unable to accommodate a gluten-free diet, I would eat beforehand and go to enjoy the company.

I feel very lucky that my company suggested Legal Seafood, which has a gluten free menu.

I definitely say call ahead and see what they can do for you, you might be surprised.

IMO unless you are out of town, the company Christmas party is not optional. Like others have said, just eat beforehand or have snacks with you to munch on, on your way home and go have a good time :)

Count my vote for attending & either eat before you go or take your meal with you... When they see what goodies you have they may just become jealous!!!!

Hope you have a good time..

mamaw

I would go and mingle with your work friends. How often is it that you guys get to hang out outside the workplace where you can relax and be yourselves. I would eat before hand and if they have fruit and veggies or safe looking things snack on that kind of stuff.

Don't worry too much about the food and have fun!

I would ask your HR department for the contact information for banquet manager at the hotel. Then I would call that person and ask if they are able to accommodate special diets. The banquet staff may be able to prepare you a safe plate and hold it for you until you get there. I was able to attend our last service awards dinner, and this worked for me. You won't know if you don't ask. :)

Oh yes! Do this!

Last year DH company had a catered meal. I couldn't have most of it. The banquet manager had me look over a menu and pick something and they made sure it was "clean" and cooked "clean".

I'm going to my husbands Christmas party again this year. (I don't have one since I have my own business, and it's just me! LOL) I just eat before I go, and make sure to bring a snack. :)

I plan on going to my husband's company party - it's at a Marriott, too. We get to choose from 4 items, which I chose something that looked pretty safe. I plan on getting our contact's name at the hotel to find out if this is safe and try to avoid some cc, which might be hard. But with a big chain like Marriott, I'm hoping they've been through this before and are prepared.

I went to a wedding reception at a Marriott (~200 guests), and they were very good with the gluten-free menu. They had a standard gluten-free meal that they serve, and the manger spent some time going over it with me. I had no problems the day of the event and didn't get sick!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• March 24, 2019 Until March 27, 2019
      NEW ORLEANS GOURMET GLUTEN-FREE mini GETAWAY    March 24 ~ 27, 2019   We have arranged a fun and Gluten-free food filled mini in the city known for it's food and fun.  We have arranged to eat many of the famous dishes that aren't usually Gluten-free at a few of the World Renown restaurants.   Staying at the Royal Sonesta Hotel on Bourbon Street in the center of the French Quarter, you'll be able to enjoy the ambiance of the city at all hours.   Our itinerary will include a Luxury Coach tour of the city and surrounding area - Admission to The National World War II Museum, including the Tom Hanks" 4D film "Beyond All Boundaries" - an exciting Airboat ride and tour through the Bayou.      This it the 3rd time we have visited New Orleans and it has always been well attended, so join us even if you've been there before.  Check out our website for the complete itinerary and cost.    Due to contractual obligations we must have 20 participants by October 31, 2018 to make this a go.      If you have any questions just give us a call at 410-939-3218.  Bob & Ruth info@bobandruths.com (410) 939-3218
    • March 27, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • March 30, 2019 Until March 31, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com 

Not a clue, other than normal eating. He ate a fair amount of bread, and pasta and pizza and such. Right before the massive outbreak in November, there was a peppermint/chocolate-drizzled popcorn that I got at Walmart, and it gave both of us horrible diarrhea, and within a few days he was covered with more rash than ever before. Might have been unrelated, but it's the only unusual thing that times out right for any causality. Otherwise, he wasn't eating anything different. The first thing t
  • Blog Entries