This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hypoglycemia, Alcoholism, Etc.

Joyous

Joyous Enthusiast

Are people with Celiac Disease who are eating gluten prone to these things?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sweetfudge Community Regular

i know i've had hypoglycemia longer than celiac. don't really know what correlation there is, but there ya go :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

In my familial experience there is a sort of a corelation between celiac and alcoholism. My fathers side of the family has a gene for male pattern violent alcoholism. The males who inherited this trait are alcoholics and also had medical historys that pointed strongly to celiac. Celiac also seems to effect the preference for alcoholic beverage in them. Prime example is my younger brother was never able to become gluten-free because of this. I am not an alcoholic and have no problem with drinking an occasional glass of wine or mead even though I had always been a beer drinker. But for my alcoholic celiac brother the switch was impossible. He said he just didn't get the same buzz......duh There is an addictive component to gluten and for some that also have an inherited tendency to alcoholism it can be very difficult to switch from a gluten alcohol to a non-gluten one. For someone with this issue it would be best not to drink at all.

There is also an additonal factor in that celiac can cause depression and anxiety issues. It is not unusual for folks to self medicate even if not to the point where they are technically a drug or alcohol abuser. If you are constantly on edge from a neurtoxin and bouncing off the walls or so down that you can barely function it can seem to help to dull those nerves furthur. This can however lead to problems even if one does not have a genetic predispostion. That would be the habitual or functional alcoholic or abuser who has to have that drink every day but does not drink to the point of intoxication. Not a good thing either.

Joyous Enthusiast
Prime example is my younger brother was never able to become gluten-free because of this. I am not an alcoholic and have no problem with drinking an occasional glass of wine or mead even though I had always been a beer drinker. But for my alcoholic celiac brother the switch was impossible. He said he just didn't get the same buzz......duh There is an addictive component to gluten and for some that also have an inherited tendency to alcoholism it can be very difficult to switch from a gluten alcohol to a non-gluten one.

gotta love those opioid peptides :(

Interestingly, while I've always had symptoms of gluten intolerance, my overall condition became much worse when I developed a taste for beer a couple years ago. (I blame Guinness... before I tried Guinness, I couldn't choke down an entire beer even if I tried. I liked Guinness right away though, and after that began to like other beers, and now almost all of them taste good. :blink: )

NoSugarShell Explorer

I have hypoglycemia and am also a recovering alcoholic. I have been sober for almost 4 years. Beer was my drink of choice. Celiac and alcoholism run in my family. I believe there is a connection.

• 1 year later...
newlyfoundglutener Newbie
In my familial experience there is a sort of a corelation between celiac and alcoholism. My fathers side of the family has a gene for male pattern violent alcoholism. The males who inherited this trait are alcoholics and also had medical historys that pointed strongly to celiac. Celiac also seems to effect the preference for alcoholic beverage in them. Prime example is my younger brother was never able to become gluten-free because of this. I am not an alcoholic and have no problem with drinking an occasional glass of wine or mead even though I had always been a beer drinker. But for my alcoholic celiac brother the switch was impossible. He said he just didn't get the same buzz......duh There is an addictive component to gluten and for some that also have an inherited tendency to alcoholism it can be very difficult to switch from a gluten alcohol to a non-gluten one. For someone with this issue it would be best not to drink at all.

There is also an additonal factor in that celiac can cause depression and anxiety issues. It is not unusual for folks to self medicate even if not to the point where they are technically a drug or alcohol abuser. If you are constantly on edge from a neurtoxin and bouncing off the walls or so down that you can barely function it can seem to help to dull those nerves furthur. This can however lead to problems even if one does not have a genetic predispostion. That would be the habitual or functional alcoholic or abuser who has to have that drink every day but does not drink to the point of intoxication. Not a good thing either.

I don't really know why I am replying to you. Or what I am looking for. I guess I really just needed to say something...to somebody.

Reading your post really made me think of myself. I never really drank much when I was younger. Oh there was the occasional Bartles & Jaymes when we (my boyfriend at the time, now my DH) were with friends (maybe a beer sometimes instead). But, I honestly never liked it. I didn't like the loss of control that I would see in the few of our friends that let it get the best of them.

Now, I'm 38 with a 10 year old with ODD that borders on Conduct Disorder, ADHD, and Asperger's and a 6 year old who thinks his brother hung the moon, therefore, his sweet and gentle nature is now slowly disappearing before our very eyes. OMG, my eyes are filling with tears right now. They are great kids when they aren't so great...you know? My DH is wonderful--we are allies in this war against the two we call our boys. ;)

I'm saying this because now I realize I am the one who has let alcohol get the best of me. My grandmother was an alcoholic and my mother had to live with it many years before she could marry (he ended up not to be the best decision but that's another story for another group :blink::unsure: ).

I have only recently begun to realize that I was being attacked by gluten. I haven't realized till just now that I have a drinking problem that is compounding that.

Like I said, I don't know why I posted. I guess what you said struck something in me.

Take care.

newlyfoundglutener Newbie
gotta love those opioid peptides :(

Interestingly, while I've always had symptoms of gluten intolerance, my overall condition became much worse when I developed a taste for beer a couple years ago. (I blame Guinness... before I tried Guinness, I couldn't choke down an entire beer even if I tried. I liked Guinness right away though, and after that began to like other beers, and now almost all of them taste good. :blink: )

I was the same way. Never really liked any of the beers, but when I tried Guinness...wow! Then, any good, dark ale tasted fabulous. I did miss Guinness when quit all gluten. I just thought it was that only, but now maybe it was more that I was craving.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I don't really know why I am replying to you. Or what I am looking for. I guess I really just needed to say something...to somebody.

Reading your post really made me think of myself. I never really drank much when I was younger. Oh there was the occasional Bartles & Jaymes when we (my boyfriend at the time, now my DH) were with friends (maybe a beer sometimes instead). But, I honestly never liked it. I didn't like the loss of control that I would see in the few of our friends that let it get the best of them.

Now, I'm 38 with a 10 year old with ODD that borders on Conduct Disorder, ADHD, and Asperger's and a 6 year old who thinks his brother hung the moon, therefore, his sweet and gentle nature is now slowly disappearing before our very eyes. OMG, my eyes are filling with tears right now. They are great kids when they aren't so great...you know? My DH is wonderful--we are allies in this war against the two we call our boys. ;)

I'm saying this because now I realize I am the one who has let alcohol get the best of me. My grandmother was an alcoholic and my mother had to live with it many years before she could marry (he ended up not to be the best decision but that's another story for another group :blink::unsure: ).

I have only recently begun to realize that I was being attacked by gluten. I haven't realized till just now that I have a drinking problem that is compounding that.

Like I said, I don't know why I posted. I guess what you said struck something in me.

Take care.

(((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))

I am so glad you have recognized that both are likely an issue for you. You have taken a big step in just admitting to yourself alcohol might be a problem. I am hoping with the issues that your children have that you have at least had them tested for celiac and even if they are not positive you should consider making them gluten-free also. You may find different children hiding under the gluten cloud.

If there is anything I can do to to help do not hesitate to ask. It is hard at first but you can do it and if it is needed the diet will make an incredible difference in your family's quality of life.

Archived