Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

noflour

Safe To Eat?

Was hoping I could get some feedback on the gluten-free status of th efollowing....

pickles

syrup

yogurt based salad dressing

toothpaste(pepsodent)

gouda cheese

also, if it contains natural or artifical flavoring, or SPICES, should you avoid the stuff??

THX!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I"m ok with all of these except some of the salad dressings. Some I've seen contain gluten components. There really is no short cut for reading the labels. I know with the gouda it depends on the brand. Processed cheese they get in Hawaii changes each time they seem to get a shipment so I have to check each time or just buy imports that are really 100% cheese. Also I would be careful of the syrups and check the labels for modified food starch and hydrolyzed proteins that are not defined as to source.

Good luck

Was hoping I could get some feedback on the gluten-free status of th efollowing....

pickles

syrup

toothpaste(pepsodent)

gouda cheese

also, if it contains natural or artifical flavoring, or SPICES, should you avoid the stuff??

THX!

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

you can't assume that a whole category of anything is gluten free - if it's not a whole food, you *HAVE* to read the ingredients. sryups can certainly have a wheat based ingredient, depending on what type of syrup you're talking about, as it may have malt. salad dressings as well, particularly if they have soy sauce. always, always read the ingredients.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

pickles

syrup

toothpaste(pepsodent)

gouda cheese

THX!

Hi--

You can never assume that a whole catagory of foods is gluten-free. There are safe syrups and unsafe ones, for example.

I use pure maple syrup--that being the only ingredient. Crest Toothpastes are gluten-free, as are most others--but there are one or two that are not safe.

You need to check on each individual product--of course, you can always post it here and chances are someone knows the gluten status.

No need to simply avoid natural flavors--again, you need to check. There are companies that will clearly list gluten in the ingredients. Kraft, Con Agra, Unilever, McCormick, and Nestle to name a few.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Guest j_mommy

Defintely read labels!!!

When it says "natural flavoring", "Spices" ect..if it's made in teh US I eat it. If you are unsure....call or email the company!