Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alamaz

Glucose Test

Does any one have experience with the glucose testing they do during pregnancy? I'm not sure I should do the test as I've read that most of the solution they have you drink is corn syrup, is this right? I react to corn pretty badly - headache etc. Also, is that solution gluten-free? I have an appt. tomorrow and will ask my doc. about it but figured I'd see if any one else has this problem.

TIA!

Amy

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007

Finally feeling better than ever!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I can't address the corn or gluten issue but the glucose tolerance test is an important screening tool for gestational diabetes, which is quite common and if let untreated carries serious risks for both mother and child. I had it and was diagnosed this way through a routine screening when I was pregnant with my son.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

i dont know about the corn, but it is gluten free. i had to have it done 3 times as i am high risk for developing diabetes (i didnt, thank God, but did have an 11+ lb son anyways :lol: ) but i highly recommend the lemon/lime flavor to the orange, but that is cuz i like sprite way better than orange flavored anything...and if you chug it, its not bad at all :D its like chugging a 1/2 liter of soda or so.

good luck!

angie

You would have to tell the Dr. that you are allergic to corn. I have read that the test can also be done with jelly beans (again, corn might be an issue), but they can probably come up with something that isn't corn based.

I want to be able to make sure everything is okay but I also can't risk putting a substance in my body that I may react to. I've been so restrictive during this pregancy I've only ate out twice in six months. One time I got glutened and couldn't walk for two days and the second time I went to the only restaurant I trust to make a truly gluten-free meal (the chef happens to have celiac disease so I know he knows what he is doing :) ) Corn just gives me wicked headaches and I can't imagine what else it does to my body that I don't know about. I'll have to research the jelly bean thing but most of those have coryn syrup something or other in them. Ugh. Such a P.I.T.A!!! Maybe my nutritionist would know.... Thanks every one for the responses I really appreciate it!

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007

Finally feeling better than ever!