This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Vacation In Sarasota, Fl

gf princess

gf princess Newbie

Does anyone have a recommendation for a gluten free dining spot in Sarasota, FL? I'd love to find a couple places, so I can book a hotel by them.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StrongerToday Enthusiast

We flew into Sarasota and stopped at a Friendly's near the airport. They lived up to their name - very Friendly! The waitress asked the cook about the mashed potatoes and he brought out the box so I could read the label. I ended up going with a bunless burger and it was very good, and the sundae that followed was tasty too. We also ate at a Bennigan's but I didn't realize the steak came with fried onions all over the steak.. I sent that back only to have it come back out with fried onions under the mashed potatoes. argh! We ate at Whole Foods too, and they made me a yummy sandwich (no bread), as well as had quina salads and a freezer full of baked goods. We stayed in Venice and went to the Crow's Nest... yummmmmy!!

We went to the Florida Aquarium, a very cool place to visit... and they made me a sandwich on lettuce instead of the bread. Everyone there was helpful, you'll have a good time!

trcn Apprentice
Does anyone have a recommendation for a gluten free dining spot in Sarasota, FL? I'd love to find a couple places, so I can book a hotel by them.

Thanks,

Hi, I live in Sarasota and have just started this process... there is an Outback steakhouse on Rt 41 and a Carrabas on Stickney point Rd into Siesta Key (corner of 41 and Clark rd) BUT... last weekend I went to a very fine restaurant called Zoria's on Main St in downtown Sarasota and they catered to me very wonderfully. The sous chef and owner both came out to meet me and discuss my options. Their menu is online and they have a raw food menu that is perfect for appetizers, but I think they would be happy to give a main course option as well... they serve Haagen-dasz vanilla ice cream as a dessert option and the owner was very excited about a raw food option that involved a ton of chocolate, as well... it was great. I ordered a filet with steamed asparagus and the chef made a red wine sauce especially for me, obviously gluten-free.

Any of these place are within 10 minutes of Siesta Key, if not less.

Tracy

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

There's also a Lee Roy Selman's restaurant off on University near the interstate. They have a great menu, great gluten-free menu, and have gluten-free beer! :D

Whole Foods is in downtown Sarasota. They have a great food bar!

Hava a great visit!

gf princess Newbie

thank you, thank you, thank you,

I am soooo much more excited about this trip now. (the last trip I went to Florida I was very sick)

Looking forward to the warmer weather too!

dinali63 Rookie
thank you, thank you, thank you,

I am soooo much more excited about this trip now. (the last trip I went to Florida I was very sick)

Looking forward to the warmer weather too!

I wanted to mention that there's a fantastic gluten free bakery on Siesta Key....right behind Capt. Curt's restaurant. It's called Island Ice cream and Gluten free bakery and their desserts and breads are delicious. The key lime pie is the best I've ever tasted! The only ice cream that's gluten free is vanilla, but all their baked goods are gluten free. The owners are so nice and fun to talk to and really understand since one of them is gluten intolerant. As far as restaurants, there are quite a few chains that have gluten free menus. I ate at the Outback and had no problems, the staff was very helpful. Hope you have a great time on your trip!

Lisa16 Collaborator

Hi!

The Selva Grill in Sarasota is a fantastic restaurant (it ranks in the top 100 restaurants in the US.) It serves Latin American food, which includes many dishes that you can safely eat. Ceviche and dishes that have manioc.... Enjoy!

Lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 5 years later...
surviormom Rookie

All the seafood...Seafood everywhere, and now days, everyone is eager to work with you on gluten-free.

Archived