• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

kali_mist

I Think I'm Pregnant!

Rate this topic

Hello All,

I was diagnosed with Celiac in March 07 and have been on the gluten-free diet ever since. I got married in August, and now I think I'm pregnant! We've kinda been trying (not doing anything to prevent it anyway) and my period is 6 days late. So yesterday my husband said I should take a home pregnancy test, and it came out positive! I didn't believe it at first so this morning I took another test and it was positive too. Anyway, I'm really excited but also really scared. There is so much that I don't know. Like is it true you can't dye your hair when you're prego? I was actually planning on dying it today <_< . I'm worried about the hole celiac thing. I really don't want to harm my baby by eating something I'm not supposed to, and I really don't want to miscarry.

So does anyone have any tips on having a healthy pregnancy? What am I not supposed to do (eg. eat sushi, change cat litter)?

Sorry for the rambling post, I'm just all over the place right now :lol:

Hi - I'm happy to help w/any questions...but a bunch are for your md. I'm in my 2nd pregnancy now and I'm much calmer than I was the first time. The first time, I was crazy with a zillion questions but your doctor is used to answering all the basics - dying hair, cat litter, etc...

Personally - I would hole off on dying your hair until your doctors appointment. I've heard negative things & its not worth risking a baby over. As for your cat litter - your md will test you for the cat disease and let you know the results. Mine came out positive, so I had to go for another test which showed that I had it years ago & there was nothing to worry about. Before your first appointment, I would have your husband change the litter.

Start taking gluten free prenatal vitamins now - if your not already on them. Freeda makes a great one that was recommended by my celiac md & its easy to take. You can order it online...You should immediately start taking a folic acid pill (gluten free) from your local health food store if you cant get the prenatals right away. There easy to find.

Don't worry about miscarrying - you'll drive yourself crazy. We can only do the best we can during this period. Its important to keep that in mind.

For my 1st - I didn't know I had celiac & was SOOOO sick the whole time. I was eating wheat thinking I was being healthy for the baby. I managed to carry full term with the help of some contraction medication. The whole thing was miserable but I still had a healthy baby at the end. She's now 6.

With this one - I'm half way through & still crossing my fingers. I'm gluten free & feeling better than last time. I was contaminated once during the preganancy & went crazy. I did a whole lot of research & found out that your symptoms improve during the 9 months because your immune system suppresses. You just don't want to have the risk of miscarriage or malnutrition. As long as you do the best you can then you should be ok.

:) Good Luck!!!!! and Congrats!!!!!

Guest digmom1014

My 2 cents-

I was a member of a pregnancy board-11 years ago-so I'm sure there are a lot on the internet now. Anyway, it was fun to compare notes, find friends, and share birth stories. It also helps to have support for the many questions you have between drs. appointments or when you need answers at night.

Good luck to you-

Sarah

Congratulations!!!

If you join any online sites, try the www. club mom .com (spaces added just so it doesn't flag the system to change it to lame advertsment) If you do any online shopping, click through their site first and you can save points for gift certificates.

Mother's of Pre-schoolers (MOPS) is an international Christian organization that might be in your area. You can meet other moms in your area.

My husband was reading over my shoulder and went "WHAT!!!?" He calmed down when I explained WE are not expecting just you. Now, my husband wants me to ask you how that happened. :rolleyes:

I guess I'm going to have to show him how that happens again. ;)

Hey, Congrats!!

You really need to make sure you are taking a good gluten free multivitamin, and supplement with folic acid. The folic acid is very important to make sure your baby has proper nueral tube development. If the multivitamin ever makes you feel nauseous, (that happens frequently), then you need to make sure you at least swallow the folic acid. Very important, and do NOT drink green tea. It binds the folic acid and depletes your body's supply.

Also, your body is likely a low in nutrients or minerals, so make sure you are eating healthy and have enough iron. Anemia is a common side effect of celiac disease, and when you expand your blood supply in pregnancy you have a tendency to go anemic as well. I combat that through diet as well, since broccoli has both folic acid and iron. Orange juice is another good source of folic acid if you can tolerate it.

Don't worry about the gluten slip-ups, they won't affect the baby. You are far healthier than I was and I went through five pregnancies as a "silent" Celiac. Just enjoy your time being pregnant. One of my favorite passages in the Bible is David's Psalm 139: " You formed my inward parts, You wove me in my mother's womb. I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made."

Pregnancy is a fun time, I hope you enjoy it! (This coming from a woman who threw up every day of the first four months, and did it five times, and I still loved it because of that payoff of a beautiful blessing at the end of it all!!)

Good luck and God bless!

I am so happy for you!!!!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

There is nothing more exciting than expecting your first baby. Enjoy these months. You will remember them fondly for the rest of your life.

My advice:

*Keep a good journal and enjoy all the twists and turns.

*Get a comprehensive pregnancy manual and learn what is happening to your body each step of the way.

*Stay as healthy as possible. Eat well (gluten-free of course) and keep active.

*Pamper yourself and get good rest. This will be the last of the "me" time and good sleep you will get for many years to come.

*Have your husband hone his nurturing skills on you...ie: daily back rubs

*Get the 3D/4D ultrasound when you are past 6 months- they are really incredible.

*Do a lot of everything you love to do with your husband. Enjoy this time and grow even closer. We loved movies and saw a million of them when I was pregnant with my first. Now that we have 2 kids we very rarely get out.

*Have fun reading all the good pregnancy books. My favorites were: Pregnancy Sucks, The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy, and Belly Laughs. My favorite book style is funny/honest sarcasm.

*Join your birth board on BabyCenter. I have made some good online friends through there who I still chat with daily about our kids.

Congrats!!!!! Feel free to email me!

Meredith

Congratulations!!!!

You have had some wonderful advice. My suggestion isn't really advice, it's just a suggestion. Take pictures...and take them often! Having a photographic record of a growing belly is really awesome!! And, once your babe arrives.... take them daily!! =)

Wishing you a happy and healthy 9 months!

One last one:

Take a breastfeeding class or buy a breastfeeding book and know where to get lactation support if you need it. Believe it or not BFing can be challenging in the beginning. It isn't always easy at first but the more prepared you are the better you will fare. Once you get past the newborn stress BFing can be the most beautiful thing for both you and your baby. I highly recommend it!

Congratulations!! I work with pregnant women and newborns in their homes offering support and info. for Early Head Start. I am also a lactation counselor. If you have any questions at all feel free to pm me anytime you like. I also have an 11 year old of my own.

It is recomended that you avoid raw dairy and raw sushi while pregnant. Absolutely do not change the cat litter. You can get a disease called Toxoplasmosis. Very dangerous!! Hubby will have to do it! I would avoid toxic fumes such as from painting and cleaners. Always good to use natural cleaners. Eat has healthy as possible!! Good luck and hope to hear from you!