Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Discovery

Anyone Have Cold Sores And Unusual Symptoms After Being On Gluten-free Diet For 3 Weeks?

I was very happy after I started gluten-free diet and noticed marked improvement in many symptoms, however, as time (second week) went by I started getting things I've never gotten before and wonder if anyone else has had this experience. I now have a cold sore (haven't had one in many years), had skin/blister-type break-outs also, a few days with bad headache..anxiety showing it's ugly head, again (but not as bad). Does anyone know about this? Is this normal. Please reply.

am waiting for lab items to come and will have definitive description after findings

till then, self-diagnosed (my history and watching my dad) Celiac and worried in California

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Since going gluten & dairy free yes I have a cold sore almost 85% of the time since!! Healing one as I type this!! :lol::ph34r:

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

The skin break outs sound like DH. I will get cold sore type sores from lip products that have gluten, have you eliminated it from your toiletries, make up and such? You could have gotten CC somewhere along the line also, especially if you share your home with gluten eaters or have eaten at a restaurant.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

I was very happy after I started gluten-free diet and noticed marked improvement in many symptoms, however, as time (second week) went by I started getting things I've never gotten before and wonder if anyone else has had this experience. I now have a cold sore (haven't had one in many years), had skin/blister-type break-outs also, a few days with bad headache..anxiety showing it's ugly head, again (but not as bad). Does anyone know about this? Is this normal. Please reply.

am waiting for lab items to come and will have definitive description after findings

till then, self-diagnosed (my history and watching my dad) Celiac and worried in California

YES! I got 2 cold sores right around the 3 - 4 week time frame of going gluten free too. I normally do not get them, but did also get them a couple weeks after I quit smoking (but that was many years ago). I think it's just our body's way of going through withdrawal. I also had the headaches.

Joni

Dx'd with Celiac Disease 8/01/07