This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Crazy Hunger, Need For Food

radgirl

radgirl Enthusiast

Why is it that after a "glutening" period, do I (maybe all of us go through this) feel this incredible need to eat. I'm starving. All I do is think of food. I'm famished. My appetite significantly increase and I'm obsessed with food. I eat and then I'm waiting for my next meal to arrive. At one point I thought I had this under control, but after a glutening period, it's coming back. Can someone please explain what is going on here?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

This is from: Open Original Shared Link

"Q: I feel hungry all the time. Is that normal?

Yes, it is very common. Your body is making up for the time it wasn't fully absorbing foods. Hunger levels tend to normalize within the first months after eliminating gluten and beginning a well balanced diet of gluten-free foods."

It is geared more towards when you go from undiagnosed to diagnosed/following the diet, but apparently, its a normal reaction.

radgirl Enthusiast
This is from: Open Original Shared Link

"Q: I feel hungry all the time. Is that normal?

Yes, it is very common. Your body is making up for the time it wasn't fully absorbing foods. Hunger levels tend to normalize within the first months after eliminating gluten and beginning a well balanced diet of gluten-free foods."

It is geared more towards when you go from undiagnosed to diagnosed/following the diet, but apparently, its a normal reaction.

Thank you Happygirl. I was being glutened for a while from a variety of things (silly me, didn't read the labels and trusted too much). I'm hungry within 20-30 minutes of finishing a meal. I'm obsessed with food. Heck, I just ate and I'm hungry again. Then to top it all off, I colored my hair yesterday, read the ingredient list AFTER the fact and found there to be wheat amino acids in the color. Hopefully I limited my CC by washing my hair in the sink and washing out with gluten-free shampoo. Let's hope!

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Thank you Happygirl. I was being glutened for a while from a variety of things (silly me, didn't read the labels and trusted too much). I'm hungry within 20-30 minutes of finishing a meal. I'm obsessed with food. Heck, I just ate and I'm hungry again. Then to top it all off, I colored my hair yesterday, read the ingredient list AFTER the fact and found there to be wheat amino acids in the color. Hopefully I limited my CC by washing my hair in the sink and washing out with gluten-free shampoo. Let's hope!

I hope so too. I used to do the feel hungry all the time thing too, no mater what I ate. One thing that helped a lot was taking a vitamin B complex, it really took it down by about 15%. So I guess I needed more vitamins! Also, very filling dinner? Pasta alfredo. Lasts me for hours. I have a recipe if you like.

jewi0008 Contributor
I hope so too. I used to do the feel hungry all the time thing too, no mater what I ate. One thing that helped a lot was taking a vitamin B complex, it really took it down by about 15%. So I guess I needed more vitamins! Also, very filling dinner? Pasta alfredo. Lasts me for hours. I have a recipe if you like.

The B complex is VERY interesting to me. I'm eating a lot of wheat/gluten right now so that I can get tested. I have a GI appt on Thursday to see their thoughts. Anyways, been miserable with my stomach, starved and all oral tissues chronically annoyed. I got back on my B Complex last Thursday...I have been significantly better since Saturday? I have a really good B Complex that I get at whole foods. Very high levels and B12 as methylcobalamin. Will taking this vitamin mess with blood tests if they were to test my B levels?!

I feel that I'm highly deficient in B Vitamins. Why?

YoloGx Rookie
The B complex is VERY interesting to me. I'm eating a lot of wheat/gluten right now so that I can get tested. I have a GI appt on Thursday to see their thoughts. Anyways, been miserable with my stomach, starved and all oral tissues chronically annoyed. I got back on my B Complex last Thursday...I have been significantly better since Saturday? I have a really good B Complex that I get at whole foods. Very high levels and B12 as methylcobalamin. Will taking this vitamin mess with blood tests if they were to test my B levels?!

I feel that I'm highly deficient in B Vitamins. Why?

From what I have read in various texts it is completely normal to have B vitamin deficiency with celiac. Reason being the intestines can neither absorb or make the B's very well when the villi are flattened and/or scarred. For many this is also a hereditary trait too so you just need to make up for a basic malabsorption problem.

This lack of the B's compounds the difficulty with making use of various other basic nutrients like proteins and carbohydrates...which then wacks out your digestive and nervous systems etc. etc. etc. Even when avoiding gluten you will probably still need to take B complex. I find I have to take the co-enzyme ones since I am allergic to brewers yeast and the other synthetic ones do almost nothing for me.

You will probably also need a bunch of minerals: calcium, vitamin D (I like cod liver oil--some find it hard to digest but it is less so if you have that problem if you also take HCL), magnesium, sea minerals. I find kelp to be a help too.

And then the various enzymes: bromelain/papain and pancreatin.

jewi0008 Contributor
From what I have read in various texts it is completely normal to have B vitamin deficiency with celiac. Reason being the intestines can neither absorb or make the B's very well when the villi are flattened and/or scarred. For many this is also a hereditary trait too so you just need to make up for a basic malabsorption problem.

This lack of the B's compounds the difficulty with making use of various other basic nutrients like proteins and carbohydrates...which then wacks out your digestive and nervous systems etc. etc. etc. Even when avoiding gluten you will probably still need to take B complex. I find I have to take the co-enzyme ones since I am allergic to brewers yeast and the other synthetic ones do almost nothing for me.

You will probably also need a bunch of minerals: calcium, vitamin D (I like cod liver oil--some find it hard to digest but it is less so if you have that problem if you also take HCL), magnesium, sea minerals. I find kelp to be a help too.

And then the various enzymes: bromelain/papain and pancreatin.

And do you know...if I'm taking the B Supp right now and they tested my B levels, would they still find I'm deficient? I don't want to mess anything up. I KNOW there is something to be said about the B Vit for me because I'm still eating like crap and taking this supp is the only thing I've added and/or changed and it has already made a HUGE difference.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
And do you know...if I'm taking the B Supp right now and they tested my B levels, would they still find I'm deficient? I don't want to mess anything up. I KNOW there is something to be said about the B Vit for me because I'm still eating like crap and taking this supp is the only thing I've added and/or changed and it has already made a HUGE difference.

I would say that if it's making a difference, then it's affecting your blood levels. But as far as I know, blood vitamin levels are not what they test to determine Celiac. They test for certain antibodies to determine Celiac, taking B vitamins should have no effect on your diagnosis. i'm hoping someone will chime in if I'm wrong. But I think the fact that the B vitamins are helping so much is just more proof of Celiac or whatever you feel like calling it.

Archived