Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FlourShopGirl

Britney Spears & Dairy Allergies

Found this sort of interesting. You hear about this girl constantly and I think gluten has affected me mentally. I've wondered if my main anxiety and depression issues are caused my years of IBS and wheat problems.

From Tmz.com- All of poor Brit Brit's Starbucks runs and ice cream socials may be worsening her "condition," y'all.

According to a letter just sent to Britney's parents by PETA, studies show that people with hidden dairy sensitivities (a very common condition) can worsen cases of bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. PETA also cites evidence linking parasites found in undercooked meats to the development of schizophrenia. Crazy from burgers?

Luckily for Britney, says PETA, instead of meat, the consumption of beans can help improve such conditions, with the exclusion of uncontrollable farting. You are what you eat ... don't be a mad cow.

And the girl does love her some Taco Bell.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have thought about this a lot since she had her kids and has gotten so bad. Her symptoms and when they started to get so bad scream celiac. I was wondering the other day if I contacted maybe the doctor on CNN by email if he could or would contact her. I don't know though, I figured they would just think I was some nutcase.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

I have thought about this a lot since she had her kids and has gotten so bad. Her symptoms and when they started to get so bad scream celiac. I was wondering the other day if I contacted maybe the doctor on CNN by email if he could or would contact her. I don't know though, I figured they would just think I was some nutcase.

I read that in tests it showed that on a nongluten diet 80% of schizophrenics have remission.

Other debilitating mental diseases are affected by gluten too like manic depression, etc. etc.

Yolo

Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

I was never a big Brit fan, but it is sad to see such a young girl so mixed up, especially when she has 2 young children. She is missing out on the best parts of their lives. I don't think her exhusband is any better though.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

I'm not a brit fan either. I do feel bad for her though. Last Sunday in Church they talked about her and her downfalls. It was mentioned how if this was someone you knew you would pray for them however, you'd never think about it with a celebrity.

I have read about the 80% remission- I found that very interesting.

I am not a fan (although I've thought her music over the years has been catchy :D ), but I am a concerned fellow human being and it's very heartbreaking to see another person stuggle so much.

I can't help but think of other celebrities that went down not necessarily the same, but similar, destructive paths and everybody stood back and said, why didn't anybody do anything?

I agree with most said above but... its hard to say why didn't we do anything... in Brit's case and so many others... they are legally adults and its hard to force them. From what I've read they have had "interventions" with Brit (and so often with the other celebritys that do this sort of thing) and they didn't work.

Let's face it they put Brit in a mental ward for a while and then let her out and she was up to her old tricks just hours later. I think its very hard to do anything... which is why the friends and family of these sorts of people feel so helpless.

Certainly most of us probably feel Brit should have stayed in the hospital and gotten long term help for whatever her issues are but I guess the law regarding keeping one against their will is very involved and with a really high bar.

I'm not a Brit fan at all but feel so terrible when I see this happening to so much of young Hollywood. Very sad.

Susan

I read that in tests it showed that on a nongluten diet 80% of schizophrenics have remission.

Other debilitating mental diseases are affected by gluten too like manic depression, etc. etc.

Yolo

Yep, it sure is. I brought in scads of research to my doctor on the neurotoxic effects of gluten, he was cluelss. I posted links to a lot of it over the years here.

Our whole family has a stong, really strong, depressive effect from gluten. For me it was like a cloud I had been under for 40 years lifted.

They have also done research projects in prisons and saw the violence level go down substantially during the project.

They have also done research in nursing homes and through one of those projects found that in that particular facility 55% of the dementia patients improved drastically on the diet.

Just imagine how many health and mental health dollars could be safed if this country would just screen like others do.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

I agree with most said above but... its hard to say why didn't we do anything... in Brit's case and so many others... they are legally adults and its hard to force them. From what I've read they have had "interventions" with Brit (and so often with the other celebritys that do this sort of thing) and they didn't work.

Let's face it they put Brit in a mental ward for a while and then let her out and she was up to her old tricks just hours later. I think its very hard to do anything... which is why the friends and family of these sorts of people feel so helpless.

Certainly most of us probably feel Brit should have stayed in the hospital and gotten long term help for whatever her issues are but I guess the law regarding keeping one against their will is very involved and with a really high bar.

I'm not a Brit fan at all but feel so terrible when I see this happening to so much of young Hollywood. Very sad.

Susan

If Brittany is celiac all the interventions and hospitalizations will do for her is push her closer to suicide. Or perhaps even cause it directly with the wealth of drugs they are undoubtedly giving her.

Celiacs can have really strange and dangerous reactions to a lot of the psychotropics that they usually throw at us.

Gene Test Aug 2007

I've always wondered how much of her issue was dietary.

Just a couple of Starbursts candies is like rocket fuel to my oldest (he can't do dye). Just a minor change like that in his life means the whole world to us. I hope they can get her issues resolved. At this point I really feel sorry for her.

Shellfish free since 1980

Milk free (all forms) since 1991

Feingold in 2003

First gluten-free round 2007

Now entering full time Gluten free, egg free, almond/peanut free

I've always wondered how much of her issue was dietary.

Just a couple of Starbursts candies is like rocket fuel to my oldest (he can't do dye). Just a minor change like that in his life means the whole world to us. I hope they can get her issues resolved. At this point I really feel sorry for her.

Perhaps there is something we could do--send her or her manager brief emails about this condition and where to look up more detailed stuff on the web? That is if someone knows either of their addresses.

It would be great if somehow we could get it more out there to the general public (and Hollywood!) about this to help others with shizophrenia, depression, dementia, manic depression not to mention increased risk of neurological damage and the usual things like IBS, cancer etc.

I know that for myself I used to sometimes see and hear things that weren't actually there up[ until I changed my diet and started taking B vitamins. Fortunately I didn't get scared but with a different personality I could have been. It helped me to know about the visions the ancient shamans had that my parents talked about from their ethnological studies...

I think certain successful artists have increased imagination partly brought on by this--which is why as a group they are more at risk than many.

Yolo

Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

I've thinking about this, too and wondering the same things.

Unfortunately I don't think it would do any good to contact her dad, doctor, or manager with our (well founded :rolleyes: ) suspicions. The reason I say this is because a local pastor with a world-wide radio ministry had cancer a few years back. During his recovery he received many mailbags full of not only well wishes but suggestions on how to make the cancer go into remission and stay there. Because of his popularity, the volume was so overwhelming that no matter how helpful, harmful or humorous the suggestions might have been, he had to ignore them all.

In the misplaced values of our culture, Britney Spears is more well known and more popular than the aforementioned pastor and is therefore probably receiving more mail than even they know what to do with. The fan club is probably sending pre-printed thank-you's to well-wishers, and her dad, doctor, and manager are tossing helpful hints into the incinerator. :blink::ph34r:

Too bad cuz we might be on to something.

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .

"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)

The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)